Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 07:32:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ron Paul on Bitcoin: "I do not think it fits the definition of money"  (Read 2208 times)
steelhouse

Activity: 717
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 04:19:45 AM

Ron Paul is correct it is not money.  Bitcoin is no different than a pokemon card.  But unlike a pokemon card they are each identical (there is no Charizard).  The only reason bitcoin has value is people give it value.  If it drops to $1 a certain type of person will buy more.  If people use it in a transaction, many will keep a couple coins for later purchases.  These coins are collectibles, as are pokemon cards.

Bitcoin as a collectible give it value.  Once it has any value, it can be traded as a currency.  Everyday bitcoin usually strengthens as a collectible.
JimmiesForBitcoins

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 04:38:25 AM

Ron Paul is correct it is not money.  Bitcoin is no different than a pokemon card.  But unlike a pokemon card they are each identical (there is no Charizard).  The only reason bitcoin has value is people give it value.  If it drops to $1 a certain type of person will buy more.  If people use it in a transaction, many will keep a couple coins for later purchases.  These coins are collectibles, as are pokemon cards.

Bitcoin as a collectible give it value.  Once it has any value, it can be traded as a currency.  Everyday bitcoin usually strengthens as a collectible.
Except that the term "currency" is synonymous with "money". "Money" is any medium of exchange. In this case, Bitcoin exists for the sole purpose of fulfilling that very role. It exists only to facilitate trade. Unlike physical commodities, it is good for nothing else. You will never see Lil' Wayne with a grill full of Bitcoins unless he has his public key printed in gold on his grill so he can accept donations.

If a community started accepting Pokemon cards in exchange for goods and services, Pokemon cards would be money. Anything can be money, if people are willing to accept it as such. That's why little green pieces of cotton paper with serial codes written on them are money.
canada

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 06:06:06 AM

To me it just looks like simple ignorance. I don't suspect malice.

Dude is old, probably not very computer savvy, and I doubt he even has much time to wipe his own behind with as busy as he is. Much less spend a chunk of the remainder of his time left looking into some new-fangled cryptogizmo on a computer that he hardly knows how to send emails on. Temporal preference; gold is his weapon of choice. He's familiar with it and he knows how it works. He stands to gain little (supposedly) from paying attention to Bitcoin.

+1
he's most likely of the camp: the internet is just a series of tubes
Jobe7

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Now they are thinking what to do with me

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 03:14:34 PM

What people chanting the whole "Bitcoin is not money because its only value is imaginary, its just because people give it value, etc, etc."

Is WHY people give it value.

It has value BECAUSE of the reasons WHY people give it value. It does not have value just because 'people give it value'.. Media and such tend to ignore this point, which is kinda key ..
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 02:15:52 AM

But I seek the Great Bitcoin, and possibly the Greatest Bitcoin the Most Holy.

The one that is the sum of two prime numbers, each of which is the sum of two cubes.

O Greatest of Mysteries!

What is your value?

<<< Yes I just made this up and yes it's a joke and yes you can take it seriously and hey, dude, like, the chase is on now, and let the rumor fly, that it may be found, and great treasure awaits>>>

JimmiesForBitcoins

Activity: 56

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 05:31:38 AM

The one that is the sum of two prime numbers, each of which is the sum of two cubes.

O Greatest of Mysteries!

What is your value?

<<< Yes I just made this up and yes it's a joke and yes you can take it seriously and hey, dude, like, the chase is on now, and let the rumor fly, that it may be found, and great treasure awaits>>>
Pythagoras didn't want his followers repeating transcendental numbers in public. He held numbers in extremely high regard. He believed they ruled the world.

https://i.imgur.com/nElZw2h.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/v1cYXYz.jpg
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 06:14:10 AM

O Greatest of Mysteries!

What is your value?

Pythagoras didn't want his followers repeating transcendental numbers in public. He held numbers in extremely high regard. He believed they ruled the world.

Hmm...

No doubt he'd be greatly offended by my joking about prime numbers being the sum of two cubes.

x^3 + y^3 = (x+y)(x^2-xy+y^2)
AlgoSwan

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

ancap

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 03:52:12 PM

Ron was a bit angry over BTC, mostly because of recent BTC performance on Cypriot banks news. Mark my words: Ron will be a late-joiner to the party. He should consult Llewellyn H. Rockwell, Jr.

Looking to buy a verified betfair account with escrow.
rider650

Activity: 49

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 04:57:26 PM

If Bitcoin does not fit his money definition, then what does Ron Paul define as money?

Concerning money definitions, I`m with Murray Rothbard:

"This process: the cumulative development of a medium of exchange on the free market - is the only way money can become established.
Money cannot originate in any other way, neither by everyone suddenly deciding to create money out of useless material, nor by government calling bits of paper "money".
For embedded in the demand for money is knowledge of the money-prices of the immediate past;
in contrast to directly-used consumers`or producers`goods, money must have pre-existing prices on which to ground a demand.
But the only way this can happen is by beginning with a useful commodity under barter, and then adding demand for a medium for exchange to the previous demand for direct use (e.g., for ornaments, in the case of gold).
Thus, government is powerless to create money for the economy; it can only be developed by the processes of the free market.

A most important truth about money now emerges from our discussion:
money is a commodity. Learning this simple lesson is one of the world`s most important tasks.
So often have people talked about money as something much more or less than this.
Money is not an abstract unit of account, divoceable from a concrete good; it is not a useless token only good for exchanging; it is not a "claim on society"; it is not a guarantee of a fixed price level.
It is simply a commodity. It differs from other commodities in being demanded mainly as a a medium of exchange.
But aside from this, it is a commodity - and, like all commodities, it has an existing stock, it faces demands by people to buy and hold it, etc.
Like all commodities, its "price" - in terms of other goods - is determined by the interaction of its total supply, or stock, and the total demand by people to buy and hold it.
(People "buy" money by selling their goods and sevices for it, just as they "sell" money when they buy goods and services.)

Now, if you agree to that definition, is Bitcoin money?
It evolved from the free market, even though its first, very small, value was assigned to it not because of being a commodity (which it definitely is not!), but because people recongized its unique value as a medium of exchange. Everything else applies, it even has a limited stock.. I think its a very tricky question, and I can`t come to a definitive answer for myself.
But I like it anyway  Grin
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: