Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 05:05:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I came up with an idea...  (Read 660 times)
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 09:21:09 PM

wouldn't it be cool to have a reusable physical bitcoin? I know how to make one myself, but I'm talking one on the level of Casascius coins. The only problem I can think of is that users would have to have access to the private key (so they could redeem multiple times). Does this sound like a good idea to anyone else? Casascius coins are valuable as collector's items-maybe some people collect used coins, but most people wouldn't spend money on a redeemed coin-they would want the hologram (bitcoin) in tact. Something like a reusable coin would solve this problem. Only 2 issues-access to the private key, as mentioned, and getting the coin to the level of Casascius coins in terms of hype (probably not an easy task lol).

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2013, 11:08:57 PM

I believe they call that a "paper wallet" Wink

But yeah, having a Casascius-quality paper wallet holder would be pretty cool.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 05:08:28 AM

I believe they call that a "paper wallet" Wink

But yeah, having a Casascius-quality paper wallet holder would be pretty cool.
Notice I said the exact same thing Wink
What I was talking about was something like...a reusable coin actually made by Casascius
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 09:31:17 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77141.0

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
Wardrick
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 11:51:44 PM

Basically like a Bitcoin debit card but a coin instead? That would be passed on from multiple people? It wouldn't work because multiple people would see the private keys, unless there was a thing to peel and place a new hidden key at. But then you would still be going off the last persons trust.
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 11:57:05 PM

Yeah, the private key presents a problem. But you don't have to trust the person- just plug the address in on blockchain to confirm.
ArbitrageX

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 01:06:45 AM

Sounds like an interesting idea.
Wardrick
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 01:13:49 AM

I'd much rather have a Bitcoin debit card than to be carrying a physical bitcoin around everywhere I go.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2013, 01:16:00 AM

I'd much rather have a Bitcoin debit card than to be carrying a physical bitcoin around everywhere I go.
No reason both things can't coexist. Bitcoin debit card for your hot wallet, smexy shiny "coin" case for your cold storage.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Luno

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 12:56:58 PM

So if you load up a physical coin and throw away the key audited by trusted parties, would the physical coin then be considered valuable and usable for payment?
myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2013, 01:58:48 PM

So if you load up a physical coin and throw away the key audited by trusted parties, would the physical coin then be considered valuable and usable for payment?

Ask Casascius.

Luno

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 03:56:06 PM

Ask Casascius.
It's not a technical question. I'm asking if one could make a physical Bitcoin that did not have any usability in the network, but still contained a provable value denominated in Bitcoins and still would be considered valuable for trades and other uses?

I you think about it, this could be a very desirable property.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2013, 04:13:27 PM

Ask Casascius.
It's not a technical question. I'm asking if one could make a physical Bitcoin that did not have any usability in the network, but still contained a provable value denominated in Bitcoins and still would be considered valuable for trades and other uses?

Yes, that's my point. They've done basically that, and people use the physical coin as money.

Luno

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 04:26:10 PM
Last edit: April 25, 2013, 05:18:18 PM by Luno

Ask Casascius.

Yes, that's my point. They've done basically that, and people use the physical coin as money.
Sorry for being dense, I got it. However you would have to have proof and tust in the issuer of the Physical container. Casacius could make a ton of coins with the same public address with the same Bitcoin. He would have to keep a list of issued coins and have a serial numbering system.

He would be the issuer of a container, but the value of each coin is stored in the blockchain. FinCen have their work cut out for them!

It's like the tricks of the internet used for separating the provider of copyrighted content  from the public linker to that material.

In that sense, Bitcoin itself is an abstraction between value and a virtual object. Bitcoin is nothing more or less than an idea that actually existed before the internet:

The two most tradeable human assets, excluding manual labor, is information and brain power and both can be exchanged where a medium for information exchange exists. This is also a system of accounting and transfer of wealth, there are however limits to how much of each you can hold.

From nature we have been issued one brain each and it's very tradeable. So as long as information sharing is not outlawed these human traits can be traded and cashed out for $$ if needed.

So Bitcoin is in reality very old and just a formalization in software of the value of social group survival: "you tell me about that, I figure this out for you" and we both get "payed" in better survival chances. Peer nodes, crypto and wallets all have social counterparts in human interaction, so as long as speech is free, transactions can be made in something that isn't really money, without giving government a chance to intervene.  However you can't go to spain and whisper some stranger in the ear that you want to buy his house with this "inside tip" or maybe you can, if he is connected to the same social group as you.

If you ask any trader, he can tell you that there are the money going around but there is also the network of exchanged tips which are payed with other tips or clever peoples suggestions interpreting them. An economist doing work might prefer being payed with an untaxable, untraceable tip instead of money.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: