Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 09:27:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Travelling salesman problem as a PoW algorithm?  (Read 753 times)
voileipa (OP)

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 05, 2017, 12:20:22 PM

Hi

I'm just wondering if the Travelling salesman problem could be used as a PoW algorithm?
spartacusrex

Activity: 718
Merit: 545

View Profile
April 05, 2017, 01:24:32 PM
Merited by ABCbits (3)

Doing something 'useful' with POW has long been a desire..!

A POW algorithm needs to be HARD to compute an answer, but FAST to check.

How would you check whether the answer, to the Travelling Salesman problem, is the correct one ?.. (without redoing all the work to show that PATH is actually the shortest)

Life is Code.
tromp
Legendary

Activity: 988
Merit: 1108

View Profile
April 05, 2017, 02:21:54 PM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

I'm just wondering if the Travelling salesman problem could be used as a PoW algorithm?

Sort of. If the salesman has to visit a small fixed number (e.g. 42) of cities in a huge random
bipartite graph, then Cuckoo Cycle https://github.com/tromp/cuckoo fits the bill...
voileipa (OP)

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 11, 2017, 10:28:33 AM

Thank you for letting me know about the Cuckoo Cycle algorithm. I remember hearing it once, but never did a deeper digging on how it works. Will definitely now.

After some research I have concluded that the original TSP does not fit as PoW since verifying the solutions requires NP time.

However, in a modified version of TSP where we try to find a route < GIVEN_LENGTH the solution verification can be done in P time.
dannon

Activity: 70
Merit: 11

View Profile
April 11, 2017, 10:30:30 AM

Eh. I'm not sure why you would want that. Is there a benefit for using that algo?

Sad Sad Anyone else sick of trying to join signature campaigns and being denied after you have worn their signature for a week? Sad Sad
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: