Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 01:12:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Link: Taking down the bitcoin network  (Read 1180 times)
aeroSpike (OP)

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 08:39:26 PM

Here are some folks who apparently don't like us: http://nerdr.com/shutting-down-bitcoin-really-taking-down-the-bitcoin-network
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
TonyHoyle

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 08:44:31 PM

I lolled..

I'm no expert on bitcoin but as far as I can see about the only 'attack' there that makes sense is planting a trojan in the client.. and that's somewhat unlikely to go undetected.  Knowing that a transaction went from <random string> to <random string> really doesn't get you anywhere.

Freakin

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 10:00:50 PM

This was my favorite part

Methods to obfuscate and spread malicious backdoor code throughout open-source code are already well developed and research is progressing rapidly.

The bit they linked to about it being "well developed" and "progressing rapidly" was tenuous evidence (at best) that the FBI paid entrenched and somewhat trusted developers to implant backdoors in the BSD IPSEC stack in 2000-2001 for monitoring site-to-site vpn encryption traffic.

This whole article is full of lols. 

The gist of their article is that you can *possibly* use a few different techniques to locate 1-2 wallets with decent values of bitcoins in them, at which point you would specifically target those users.  So it's basically like watching expensive houses and waiting for their owners to break in... not exactly going to make you wealthy or destroy confidence in home security...
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 10:08:49 PM

Taking down the bitcoin network? Don't you mean this article: http://bitcoinweekly.com/articles/taking-down-the-bitcoin-network ?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: