Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 10:33:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Who on earth valued feather coin so high  (Read 21608 times)
MarKusRomanus
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 07:13:14 AM
Last edit: April 26, 2013, 07:38:03 AM by MarKusRomanus

Ill explain why. Im actually getting fed up of tom dick and harry making new alt currencies just to make a quick buck. It makes crypto in general look bad. We need to focus on BTC and LTC. Fact is if noobs cant afford to get into these then they shudnt be wasting their time. By investing time and effort in fc all they are doing is gambling, and someone who has way more coins is going to be the one who prospers

While I generally agree with you, LTC has been out for what seems forever and it's pretty much stagnant. Nothing has been happening and people are wanting to see some progress.  FC is showing people that community matters(not that I'm saying FC has a larger community or anything).  Honestly LTC has no do something to push itself more mainstream since at the moment it's been at about the same levels as last year. If LTC doesn't push itself harder then the community will find something else to push and FC could be that.  Free markets are great because they stimulate competition and that is how things get done.

Good point!
I also have this theory about the human mind not liking fractions of things.  When a crypto coin gets to the point where common trades/purchases involve 0.03 or 0.211 , the option to trade more of a less valuable coin becomes attractive.  That's why I think there will a few alt currencies that will last and grow.  Ideally both BTC and LTC will end up with their respective counterpart alt currencies.  For LTC, it very well may end up being Feathercoin.
gabbynot

Activity: 341
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 11:29:55 AM

The one thing I like about FTC is it keeps the 4X ratio going; there's 4x as many FTC as LTC, which in turn has 4X as many BTC will be. 

It's copper to LTC's silver to BTC's gold.

I just wish there was *something*, anything at all, that differentiated it from LTC besides number of coins.

And yes, it's clearly a pump-n-dump, but honestly all of the alts are at some point.  We'll see if there's any actual market forming around FTC in a few months.
Luckybit

Activity: 714
Merit: 510

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 11:50:32 AM

What is special about feathercoin?
Luckybit

Activity: 714
Merit: 510

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 11:52:32 AM

There is enormous amount of miners contributing to the network and everytime you refresh the page on this forum you see feathercoin topics at the top... huge buzz now which has lasted for days.

supply and demand.  who on earth valued BTC at 124 each?  Tongue  don't complain about it, instead capture the arbitrage.   Kiss

uh I think I read there is already 4 million coins made since launch 6 days ago, there is supply, with zero demand.

There were 2 million PPCoins made on it's first day. PPCoin is now worth 25 cents.

It's actually worth 30 cent and it should be worth 30 cent. It's significantly different.
Feathercoin is just Litecoin lite.
bushstar

Activity: 617
Merit: 531

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 12:49:39 PM

The one thing I like about FTC is it keeps the 4X ratio going; there's 4x as many FTC as LTC, which in turn has 4X as many BTC will be.  

It's copper to LTC's silver to BTC's gold.

I just wish there was *something*, anything at all, that differentiated it from LTC besides number of coins.

And yes, it's clearly a pump-n-dump, but honestly all of the alts are at some point.  We'll see if there's any actual market forming around FTC in a few months.

The four times increase in coins is what appealed so greatly to my mind. I have always thought that Litecoin got a few things right, the increase in the number of coins, using scrypt cryptography and that blocks got solved four times faster than Bitcoin at 2.5 minutes a block. I'm always perplexed when people launch altcoins and do not use Litecoin's 2.5 minute block count.

To me it seemed that there might be a natural progression here along. Perhaps we have already trained out brains to work with the difference between Bitcoin and Litecoin and this would extend further along to FeatherCoin. As MarKusRomanus talked about in this thread, trading and mining in values less than one stops being fun. I do not think a lot of us would be here if we did not enjoy working with crypto currencies.

About other features. I believe it is enough right now to start with a denomination change. If there are any features that becomes a must have in any other Bitcoin based coin, it could be incorporated into FeatherCoin. A lot of the features seen in other coins are still experimental and I wanted FeatherCoin to have the solid foundation of Litecoin.

Bitcoin, Litecoin and any other coin can evolve along with others if they choose to. Bitcoin is often debating its future and I believe that there is a new Litecoin release in the mix with some interesting new features, though I do not know what. If you see a really good idea you should not ignore it.

However I should state that new features would only be introduced with the agreement of the community.

Bush

skull88

Activity: 683
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 03:16:27 PM

I have no problem with anyone doing whatever it takes to put extra cash in their pockets.
If it's ok by you that I do whatever it takes to put some extra cash in my pockets, could you pm me your address and when it is most likely nobody is home?
And to buy some of your stuff back I have a sweat business deal for you, you pay me 100btc and I'll give you 1000 back, you only need to find 10 other people who do the same.  Cool

trading and mining in values less than one stops being fun.
Go to preferences - display and set "Unit to display:" in µ
Your instant rich.  Grin

Really guys, your not even trying to come up with good arguments, things like:
- It's more fun to see big numbers
- It has four time more coins than Litecoin, that should make us the copper to btc, right?
- It's easier to mine
- As long as I make some money who cares
- There is a gap under Litecoin, maybe you don't see it, but I see it

Are all not arguments for a sane person to adopt this currency, I hope there still comes someone with a better argument, else you better start thinking of making a comedy show, you only need to put in all the arguments why Feathercoin is great and you got an instant "comedy show of the year".

BTC: 1MifMqtqqwMMAbb6zr8u6qEzWqq3CQeGUr
LTC: LhvMYEngkKS2B8FAcbnzHb2dvW8n9eHkdp
FuzzyBear
Legendary

Activity: 1420
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2013, 03:31:15 PM

I have no problem with anyone doing whatever it takes to put extra cash in their pockets.
If it's ok by you that I do whatever it takes to put some extra cash in my pockets, could you pm me your address and when it is most likely nobody is home?
And to buy some of your stuff back I have a sweat business deal for you, you pay me 100btc and I'll give you 1000 back, you only need to find 10 other people who do the same.  Cool

Your instant rich.  Grin

- It has four time more coins than Litecoin, that should make us the copper to btc, right?
- It's easier to mine

Are all not arguments for a sane person to adopt this currency, I hope there still comes someone with a better argument, else you better start thinking of making a comedy show, you only need to put in all the arguments why Feathercoin is great and you got an instant "comedy show of the year".

U forgot the best reason why Feathercoin is sooo great....

U can tickle people with ur coins!!

But in all seriousness u do raise very valid points.

***** Earn DEV at http://devtome.com *****
justabitoftime

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

CoinTropolis

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 04:07:49 PM

Your instant rich.  Grin

- It's easier to mine

I didn't know I had to impress you. I'm sure you're a nice guy and all, but not really that important in my life. I'm amazed at the number of people that spend so much time against something rather than for their own passion.  Look, I'll leave it to the messageboard to keep with the 'noob, idiot, comedy' type comments. Enjoy that life. Smiley For the rest of the sane crypto population, we'll continue to work on services for the coins WE enjoy.

If you don't like a specific coin, don't use it. 

farlack
Legendary

Activity: 1311

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 04:15:47 PM

There is enormous amount of miners contributing to the network and everytime you refresh the page on this forum you see feathercoin topics at the top... huge buzz now which has lasted for days.

supply and demand.  who on earth valued BTC at 124 each?  Tongue  don't complain about it, instead capture the arbitrage.   Kiss

uh I think I read there is already 4 million coins made since launch 6 days ago, there is supply, with zero demand.

There were 2 million PPCoins made on it's first day. PPCoin is now worth 25 cents.

It's actually worth 30 cent and it should be worth 30 cent. It's significantly different.

Should be worth 30 cents? you mean a coin that's been out for a week should be worth 30 cents? Worth 1.4mil? Which the dev probably mined 50% of these..
MarKusRomanus
Legendary

Activity: 910

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 04:21:39 PM

supply and demand.  who on earth valued BTC at 124 each?  Tongue  don't complain about it, instead capture the arbitrage.   Kiss

Should be worth 30 cents? you mean a coin that's been out for a week should be worth 30 cents? Worth 1.4mil? Which the dev probably mined 50% of these..

Really?  If the developer pre-mined (alot of us know he didn't),  why has he been buying FC from forum members to help fund its promotion?
justabitoftime

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

CoinTropolis

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 04:23:34 PM

A coin should be valued at whatever the market is willing to a pay. Wow, there are so many centralized planning currency types here, I'm a bit surprised.

zdarkazn

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 04:26:26 PM

I hate how people keep arguing. Just let the demand from the general public decide. Its as simple as that. Look, Iridium is rarer than gold, but why is it not worth more? Theres not a high demand for it as gold. Same reason for MinCoin vs BitCoin, except MinCoin has a bad appearance.
farlack
Legendary

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 04:28:39 PM

supply and demand.  who on earth valued BTC at 124 each?  Tongue  don't complain about it, instead capture the arbitrage.   Kiss

Really?  If the developer pre-mined (alot of us know he didn't),  why has he been buying FC from forum members to help fund its promotion?

I didn't say pre-mined. I said mined, you launch the coin and start mining right away. If you're the only one mining, you're mining a shit ton.
Dev buying all the FC? Doesn't raise flags?? That's forcing a price.

A coin should be valued at whatever the market is willing to a pay. Wow, there are so many centralized planning currency types here, I'm a bit surprised.
Apparently its the dev as said above this quote forcing the price, not the market.
The market wants a pump and dump, why do you think ltc and btc went up and FC are the same price. Everyone who bought FC with LTC lost 1/3 of their money.
aysyr

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 04:29:07 PM

What's sad is people STILL keep thinking a small amount of people have a majority of the coins. I was lucky to get on in the first day, but from what I could tell there were a lot of people who started within the first 4 hours and the mining was very spread out.

Trade at C-Cex, my favorite exchange!          Aysyr Reputation Thread
bushstar

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 04:44:24 PM

Your instant rich.  Grin

- It's easier to mine

I know what you are saying as Feathercoin does seem timid in the respect that it is playing it safe. It is not trying out new features like proof-of-stake or demurrage which have yet to prove themselves. I will leave the grand experiments and great risks to others. I certainly feel safer having Litecoin and Feathercoin in my wallet, than I do with any of the other SHA-256 alternatives.

No. The hashrate went up drastically almost immediately after launching the coin and kept going up for days. About 12 hours after the coin was launched the network hashrate was around 60MH. I actually believe that we got a reasonably fair distribution of coins. For my mining efforts I got 128K coins of which I have given out 39,950 in bounties and donations. I intend to hold on to my coins through any rises and falls. Others may be treating this like a pump-and-dump but I am not one of them.

I do want to purchase coins cheaply to replace the ones I spent on bounties, I am not rich enough to cause trouble in any market. Personally I think the price may have gotten too high. I have been trying to buy at a rate of 5 LTC per 1,000 FC but am being told to go away. Whatever I think about the price I have no control over it, the market tells us what the price is.

What would be interesting is some good charts. I have a server where I intend to get AndyRossy's PPCoin charts installed. This will show the amount of coins mined a day and the difficulty, there will be more charts added over time.

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 04:46:50 PM

I refuse to buy FeatherCoins until they make at least 9 to 12 months of network existence.

It needs to stand the test of time before it is worth investing.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

bushstar

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 05:18:18 PM

It is impossible to have reasonably fair distribution with that approach. If blocks are supposed to be mined once in 2.5 minutes but they are mined every few
seconds for 12 hours then we are speaking about major coin grab by those who jumped on the train in those 12 hours. It makes no difference how many miners
grabbed millions of coins early - what matters is how little coins those who find out about the coin day after or week after are getting right now.

The high hash rate meant that there was no one miner being able to mint millions of coins for themselves. What we need is a rich list to get another view of coin distribution.

zdarkazn

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 05:19:14 PM

It is impossible to have reasonably fair distribution with that approach. If blocks are supposed to be mined once in 2.5 minutes but they are mined every few
seconds for 12 hours then we are speaking about major coin grab by those who jumped on the train in those 12 hours. It makes no difference how many miners
grabbed millions of coins early - what matters is how little coins those who find out about the coin day after or week after are getting right now.

The high hash rate meant that there was no one miner being able to mint millions of coins for themselves. What we need is a rich list to get another view of coin distribution.

Too bad I wont be on that list )):
zdarkazn

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 05:30:23 PM

Coin distribution graph will solve what exactly? It will show the same as coin distribution graphs for all coins except Bitcoin are showing - people who started mining
early, while difficulty was low, made more coins than someone who would start mining right now will make in next few months or more
. So much about "no premine".

What we need as a community are developers not putting their own interests on first 5 positions on their priority list. It seems all of them are already bussy with Bitcoin
so we are unfortunately left with profit greedy wannabe developers.

This seems like what happened with mincoin. Extremely high rewards in first three days. I dont believe Feather had that.
farlack
Legendary

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 05:32:58 PM

Coin distribution graph will solve what exactly? It will show the same as coin distribution graphs for all coins except Bitcoin are showing - people who started mining
early, while difficulty was low, made more coins than someone who would start mining right now will make in next few months or more
. So much about "no premine".

What we need as a community are developers not putting their own interests on first 5 positions on their priority list. It seems all of them are already bussy with Bitcoin
so we are unfortunately left with profit greedy wannabe developers.

This seems like what happened with mincoin. Extremely high rewards in first three days. I dont believe Feather had that.

There were like 4 million produced the first day.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: