Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 06:39:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Storj (SJCK) vs. Siacoin (SC) - Discussion  (Read 17121 times)
sundaymorning (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 05, 2017, 11:55:01 PM

Storj - a decentralized, end-to-end encrypted cloud storage that uses blockchain technology and cryptography to secure your files.
Users act as decentralized cloud nodes essentially.
https://storj.io/index.html

Siacoin - a decentralized cloud storage platform that uses a blockchain to facilitate payments. You can rent storage, get paid host files, mine Siacon, or contribute to the project.
http://sia.tech/faq/

I am not favoring one over another, but am rather more interested in how the community feels about each project. The two projects seem very similar or nearly identical, which has contributed to my confusion in distinguishing one over the other. What are the pros/cons of each?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
e-coinomist
Legendary

Activity: 2380
Merit: 1085

Money often costs too much.

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 12:49:41 AM

These two projects, how about adding a third one, that Dotcom followup of megaupload. They mentioned Storj as a component once on their roadmap but the current state of development lags behing everything.
The buzz is back on BTCs to fuel it. That would degrade both beeing second class only.
krisnajsadrak

Activity: 1092
Merit: 250

Hodlers Network

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 01:56:44 AM

Storj - a decentralized, end-to-end encrypted cloud storage that uses blockchain technology and cryptography to secure your files.
Users act as decentralized cloud nodes essentially.
https://storj.io/index.html

Siacoin - a decentralized cloud storage platform that uses a blockchain to facilitate payments. You can rent storage, get paid host files, mine Siacon, or contribute to the project.
http://sia.tech/faq/

I am not favoring one over another, but am rather more interested in how the community feels about each project. The two projects seem very similar or nearly identical, which has contributed to my confusion in distinguishing one over the other. What are the pros/cons of each?

i have same question as you,,
so i will wait somebody can answer and explain this question with reasonable answer,,
regards

pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1031

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 01:37:16 PM
Last edit: April 06, 2017, 02:09:30 PM by pedrog

MAIDSAFE can also be used for data storage.

These two projects, how about adding a third one, that Dotcom followup of megaupload. They mentioned Storj as a component once on their roadmap but the current state of development lags behing everything.
The buzz is back on BTCs to fuel it. That would degrade both beeing second class only.

Megaupload 2 isn't a competitor of these projects, it's supposed to use them for storage instead of 'traditional' data centers.

Quartx

Activity: 1036
Merit: 504

Becoming legend, but I took merit to the knee :(

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2017, 01:46:34 PM

They are now using some bitcache thingy which is either a fork or a totally useless mechanism. I do not trust someone who does not even know how to use screen recording software for examples lol.

On the main topic, maidsafecoin is fake in my opinion, claiming to be in progress and in beta for years already? No news other than news from bagholders about "Remember maidsafecoin coming out soon, buy your coins! " LOL

On storj, it is much more expensive than siacoin, also less noob friendly.

Sia isnt exactly noob friendly but it is so much easier. And there are inbuilt mechanisms by sia to make prices more or less the same cheap prices even in the long run, with hosts that burn coins actually getting more credibility.

sundaymorning (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 05:08:12 PM

They are now using some bitcache thingy which is either a fork or a totally useless mechanism. I do not trust someone who does not even know how to use screen recording software for examples lol.

On the main topic, maidsafecoin is fake in my opinion, claiming to be in progress and in beta for years already? No news other than news from bagholders about "Remember maidsafecoin coming out soon, buy your coins! " LOL

For what it's worth, i set up Storj software for renting out hardware and it was a pretty easy process & "noob friendly" in my opinion. As of March 13th, 2017 Storj is out of beta http://blog.storj.io/post/158359154453/storj-comes-out-of-beta

According to this article, Siacoin has been out of Beta since June 2016 http://allcoinsnews.com/2016/06/07/siacoin-surges-as-sia-plans-to-come-out-of-beta/

On storj, it is much more expensive than siacoin, also less noob friendly.

Sia isnt exactly noob friendly but it is so much easier. And there are inbuilt mechanisms by sia to make prices more or less the same cheap prices even in the long run, with hosts that burn coins actually getting more credibility.
Can you explain a bit more on how Sia isn't exactly noob friendly, but its much easier? I feel like that's a contradicting statement.

Quartx

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2017, 03:14:35 AM

On one hand, Storj acts mostly like Amazon Simple storage service in the broad sense that you setup an identity , link allowed devices, get buckets, upload files to buckets. Non noob friendly in the sense that normal non it savvy users would not even be touching storj, or understand what is a key ring or the command line for that matter, maybe things will change when the ui comes out (not that I know off, if there is, please link me).

On the other hand , siacoin is non noob friendly in the sense that it requires the renter to have coins in their wallet, this portion may be a problem for some non-savvy people to get the exchange from fiat to sia, although there is shapeshift for instant conversion from other alts. Maybe a user can do USDT > SC.

It is noob friendly in the sense that every person understands contracts. You go to a library to borrow a book, you sign a contract that you will return book in said number of days. Say we have a private lib in real life that users have to pay $50 a month to get membership, whereby books have a 30 days return limit.

Sia works in the reverse library scenario.

In reverse library , the current library is on fire. The library user becomes the file hosts and the library the guy looking to store files. Reverse libary in the sense that the lib pays the user instead for the user to protect books from the burning library. The contract still exists. Just that if the library has not found a new location to store his books, the files belong to the user after contract is over. If library has enough space and has setup a new location, he can request the user to return the book anytime.

Also noob friendly in the sense that other than the inital funding portions, everything else is like dropbox

Periodik

Activity: 1022
Merit: 256

View Profile
April 09, 2017, 07:02:24 PM

Great info. I had fun reading the comments and I would love to read more. I bought some SC the other day and I plan to hold this for a long term.
John Titor

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 09, 2017, 08:07:25 PM

One thing worth mentioning is that the Storj Dev team controls I believe over 80% of the coin supply (forget the exact amount but it was a wide majority).  Sia however has been mined fairly for the most part and is more fairly distributed, they do have the Sia Fund coin (not listed on exchanges and given out to early investors and many to the devs as well) which distributes ~3.5% mining rewards of sia to the holders; overall though it is not a huge amount of coins going to any one party through that, certainly much more fair than a majority pre-mine.

If anyone wants to clarify these figures please do, I don't have the time to go digging right now.
thebatletbet

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 09, 2017, 08:38:07 PM

storj and sia coin is same good coin,
siacoin shortage total suply is very big, until reach 24 billion coin , so very dificult can get incraese very high price
storj  shortage use counterparty asset, many people not like counterparty asset because fee sending is high and long time confirmation transaction
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
April 09, 2017, 09:35:03 PM

I have been a longtime supporter of data storage tokens, such as MAID, SJCX, and SC. I think they are a great idea, and can reduce storage prices compared to centralized competitors that need to pay for data center space (which is very expensive). However, at the present time I am not really impressed with the state of these coins.

1. MAID seems to be in a perpetual vaporware state. Who knows if it will ever come to fruition...

2. SJCX and SC are both operational, but there is little to no demand for the services. I recently (the past couple day) looked into a few ways to profitably utilize my extra hard drive space. The amount of demand for SJCX and SC storage space left me quite uninterested in these projects. Maybe demand will pick up and slowly grow over time, but I think it may be years (closer to 5 to 10 years) before they gain traction- if they do at all. So, I have taken them out of my portfolio, as I think they will stay at or under their current valuations for some time. The demand just isn't there for these services.

I decided to mine Burst with my extra HD rather than fool with Storj or Siacoin. I am only expecting to make something like $3.50 a month (the HD is just under 2 TB), but it is free money and I might as well do it because it doesn't use much power and I don't need as much storage space as I have.
Quartx

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2017, 06:30:48 AM

storj and sia coin is same good coin,
siacoin shortage total suply is very big, until reach 24 billion coin , so very dificult can get incraese very high price
storj  shortage use counterparty asset, many people not like counterparty asset because fee sending is high and long time confirmation transaction

SJCX is going to migrate over to eth tokens, new gui for renters is also coming out soon!

blackhawk101

Activity: 308

View Profile
May 03, 2017, 03:14:29 AM

MR. STORJ ANSWERING (?) NEW TOKEN QUESTION......

https://youtu.be/R_w1jWAmlPM?t=12m37s
Bowtiesarecool

Activity: 1050
Merit: 295

View Profile
May 03, 2017, 08:20:37 AM

Got burnt speculating on sia... at least with maidsafe I was able to recoup
lurker10

Activity: 378

View Profile
May 03, 2017, 09:22:49 AM

Sia works today. It is battle tested and is constantly improving. It is more a grassroots crypto like Bitcoin.

Is Storj even launched in mainnet?

Quartx

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2017, 10:32:47 AM

Sia works today. It is battle tested and is constantly improving. It is more a grassroots crypto like Bitcoin.

For a moment I thought you had time-traveled. Just because Storj does not advertise that much does not mean that it is not launched yet. What do you even mean by mainnet, storj tokens are used as payment, not the main service itself. It has been in general availability for months and there are already people using it as a S3 storage replacement. There is even a free small limited plan for the first year with 25GB storage and bandwidth

lurker10

Activity: 378

View Profile
May 03, 2017, 10:49:16 AM

For a moment I thought you had time-traveled. Just because Storj does not advertise that much does not mean that it is not launched yet. What do you even mean by mainnet, storj tokens are used as payment, not the main service itself. It has been in general availability for months and there are already people using it as a S3 storage replacement. There is even a free small limited plan for the first year with 25GB storage and bandwidth

Launched in mainnet means one can use decentralized storage, the main purpose of these two coins. This has been true in Sia since summer 2015.

If you can do that in Storj, great. Sia has an edge being there one year before Storj and having done more improvements and fixes.

They also have different approaches to decentralized storage which was explained in an article dated from one year ago for that I don't have a link right now.

Dent_DC

Activity: 74
Merit: 13

Be nice

View Profile
July 13, 2017, 05:58:17 PM

Sorry for bumping but I am also interested. It looks like both have made improvements over the last months.

I would love to hear more reviews and experiences of offering hosting using these two services. Are there enough clients to rent the space you offer or will you have to wait for a long time before you get any earnings? How much can you earn in a month?

..:: Just another day in paradise... ::..
BTC bc1q4cc3rzknwu2hsclxk4rn6jv4ez9wrnd2elssn8
ghobson

Activity: 250
Merit: 100

Crypto Developer

View Profile
July 13, 2017, 07:17:12 PM

Sorry for bumping but I am also interested. It looks like both have made improvements over the last months.

I would love to hear more reviews and experiences of offering hosting using these two services. Are there enough clients to rent the space you offer or will you have to wait for a long time before you get any earnings? How much can you earn in a month?

I think what holds back people on storage projects like these , is that you have no idea what kind
of data gets stored on your physical devices, it could get you into trouble or at the very least make you
into a target for denial of service type attacks. ( ex. a competitor taking you out so he wins more contracts in the same geo region ? )

Join the boid community, earn crypto while doing real research with your cpu/gpu boid.com
Dent_DC

Activity: 74
Merit: 13

Be nice

View Profile
July 13, 2017, 10:55:04 PM

Ok but in my humble opinion getting attacked by someone else using same service sounds as far fetched as a utorrent user ddosing another utorrent user to get more ratio on the private tracker he is on. Its possible to do but not really worth the trouble.

Regarding not knowing what you have on your drive, isnt there some kind of TOS in place that frees you from responsibility? The data should be encrypted in a way that it would not be possible for you to check what is on the drive so you cant be responsible for not removing it. I imagine these are the same issues dropbox and googledrive and the others have, and I doubt they would get into trouble for what the users put in their folders. But I might be wrong who knows.

..:: Just another day in paradise... ::..
BTC bc1q4cc3rzknwu2hsclxk4rn6jv4ez9wrnd2elssn8
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: