Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 04:39:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Computer reboots after 30 min...  (Read 913 times)
Bleroy (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 09:59:35 PM

I recently built a new computer, and the motherboard I have is an Asus Sabertooth x79 (Which I think is too smart for its; own good). Anyway, I have two 7970's (Not Crossfire), mining. When you start the miner, it runs flawlessly, but after everything heats up, around 30 minutes, the computer reboots. I have monitored the Asus Tweaker software, and it seems to do it when the motherboard temperature reaches around 60~61 degrees Celsius.. This is why I think the mobo is too smart for its own good.. But regardless, I have looked for a way to change what temp it does this at, or turn it off entirely, through the BIOS and through the Asus Tweaker program. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
frojoe

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 10:07:18 PM

You are sure that the GPUs are overheating like the VRM aren't getting too hot? If there is not there should be a setting in the bios to turn off fail safes with the computer restarting. I'm not sure exactly what it is with your board but its I think its the OC or power management section of the bios.
nebulus

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

... it only gets better...

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 10:11:14 PM

I had a similar issue back when I used to mine. Damn, it was annoying... It was happening more during summer. Invest in a LOT of cooling...

zvs
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1000

https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2013, 07:04:34 AM

I recently built a new computer, and the motherboard I have is an Asus Sabertooth x79 (Which I think is too smart for its; own good). Anyway, I have two 7970's (Not Crossfire), mining. When you start the miner, it runs flawlessly, but after everything heats up, around 30 minutes, the computer reboots. I have monitored the Asus Tweaker software, and it seems to do it when the motherboard temperature reaches around 60~61 degrees Celsius.. This is why I think the mobo is too smart for its own good.. But regardless, I have looked for a way to change what temp it does this at, or turn it off entirely, through the BIOS and through the Asus Tweaker program. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I had this issue with a power supply with some sort of feature that would shut it down in case of 'power surges' (temporarily, then it would turn itself back on -- these power surges were probably just 1 amp or less jumps, since I was pulling like 12 to 12.5 24/7..)...   Maybe once a month for a 4 or 5 month period, til I replaced it.

your issue sounds diff though... i have an asus sabertooth x58 and have never had any random reboots.  a couple of blue screens from initial testing & setting clock too high but that's about it..

ed: my guess would be the psu, or some other power related issue
HellDiverUK

Activity: 1246
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 10:19:23 AM

As others have said, it's not the motherboard being too smart.  It's just you've not put enough cooling in your case, plain and simple.

Something's overheating to the point for tripping out - might be your PSU, might be the motherboard. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: