Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 08:21:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Other Coins  (Read 995 times)
twitami1 (OP)

Activity: 322
Merit: 102

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 10:45:29 PM

So, do you all really think all these other types of digital currency will stick around? LTC, FC, etc.

Should I be mining them, and if so...which ones?

Thanks!
Mr. White

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 10:49:58 PM

In my opinion, I would stick with BTC, LTC and yes, Feathercoin, but, we dont know where FeatherCoin is going just yet, it is making it's way. And Like with BitCoin, you never know, it could skyrocket, or, not... All of this is a risk just like the market...
austinwillis81

Activity: 10

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 11:09:11 PM

There is no guarantee that any of them will stick around but your best bet would be BTC, LTC and I wouldn't say FC yet but it has had a HUGE amount of support for such a new coin which is promising.
binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 11:09:47 PM

Try to make your own opinion of their respective advantages.
For instance, feathercoin is the exact same as litecoin appart than it has more coins, but since we deal with float number that are divisible, who cares? Much of the interest thus can come just because something is new, and so many people missed the BTC train they want to catch up early on something. But it might just being worth nothing in little time, who knows.

Personally, I trust BTC on the long-term, and LTC on the middle-term. The rest is gambling.

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
AvenG

Activity: 133
Merit: 101

Res Et Non Verbum

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 12:36:23 AM

Personally, I trust BTC on the long-term, and LTC on the middle-term. The rest is gambling.

+1

not for sale
Kattywampus

Activity: 35

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 01:14:47 AM

Binary Fate has it spot on in my opinion. Depending on how you want to invest will depend on what coin you choose to put your money in.
sgbullion

Activity: 56

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2013, 01:24:43 AM

Look at what you think will grab the most market share. We are in a time much like when JP morgan and Carnegie were building their businesses lots of unknowns. some hit it big with electricity and such but most lost their shirts. In gold rushes the ones who made the money were the ones who supplied the miners. So the people who will make the most are those making the mining rigs.
bitcl1234oinfever

Activity: 42

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 01:41:21 AM

Anyone have any info on feathercoins? I have read a few things, I like litecoins in addition to bit but not sure about PPcoin and some of the others you see out there.
lostofctrl

Activity: 5

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 01:47:22 AM

LTC for ASIC semi-proof (for now)
fasmax

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 02:21:31 AM

Currently half of my hashing power is for mining BTC the other half is for LTC.
If that tells you what I think.
bitcl1234oinfever

Activity: 42

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 02:24:19 AM

Looking to buy litecoins. Can pay with either moneypacks or paypal or western union. I will only buy with escrow or long time posters here. Message or email me.
DeanK

Activity: 12

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 03:16:14 AM

So, do you all really think all these other types of digital currency will stick around? LTC, FC, etc.

Should I be mining them, and if so...which ones?

Thanks!

I started with LTC and PPC,, both now have a higher mining profitability than BTC.
CryptoCurrencyMiners

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 03:20:06 AM

Litecoin is the way to go at the moment.

Lazer Engraved Crypto Cards IN STOCK! http://Crypto-Cards.com  Customers Come FIRST! 100% Transparency!
JohnGalt

Activity: 249
Merit: 114

Who is John Galt?

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 03:25:39 AM

For instance, feathercoin is the exact same as litecoin appart than it has more coins, but since we deal with float number that are divisible, who cares?

What do you mean by "float number"? I took a quick look at the code and it looks like it uses 64-bit ints with 8 fractional digits, just like BTC and LTC.

Trade physical bitcoins: Economy > Marketplace > Goods > Collectibles
My signing address: 19mzFU4zFrZHkAkHSUta6LapJ6fTFJyhiH
binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 07:10:36 PM

For instance, feathercoin is the exact same as litecoin appart than it has more coins, but since we deal with float number that are divisible, who cares?

What do you mean by "float number"? I took a quick look at the code and it looks like it uses 64-bit ints with 8 fractional digits, just like BTC and LTC.

I don't mean that it is using the "float" type of C++, I mean that the possible values are float numbers with up to 8 digits after the point. So it does not really matter if you have 10 times more or less coin, as long as you don't reach such tinny value that you're limited by the 8 digits. Unless you reach that point, there's no rational to say that "more coins" is an advantage (or a weakness neither)!

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
AZIZ1977

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 07:18:10 PM

CNC introduction wasnt as expected and is taking FTC with it down.
cleopatra

Activity: 14

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 07:34:18 PM

Honestly they are just a way to make a quick buck when it goes up rapidly then they rapidly fall back down... You have to get in the boat quick enough, but stick with BTC and LTC
herbalist420

Activity: 5

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 07:36:37 PM

I start with BTC, than LTC and PPC for the last one that could ......
JohnGalt

Activity: 249
Merit: 114

Who is John Galt?

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 02:13:54 AM

I don't mean that it is using the "float" type of C++, I mean that the possible values are float numbers with up to 8 digits after the point. So it does not really matter if you have 10 times more or less coin, as long as you don't reach such tinny value that you're limited by the 8 digits. Unless you reach that point, there's no rational to say that "more coins" is an advantage (or a weakness neither)!
Sorry for being pedantic, but that is not what "float" means. "float" is "floating-point" which is the opposite of "fixed precision". It is a term in computer science describing how a number is stored. A floating-point number has an exponent that specifies where the decimal point goes. Scientific notation is a natural way to write a floating-point number.

I think the proper term to use here is "non-integral", which means that it can have a fractional component. You could also call it a "rational" number, but the meaning is very broad. I think "non-integral" is the best.

Trade physical bitcoins: Economy > Marketplace > Goods > Collectibles
My signing address: 19mzFU4zFrZHkAkHSUta6LapJ6fTFJyhiH
whitefeather

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 02:18:50 AM

What would be an optimal rig (conceptually, not looking for specific hardware) to mine LTC? I have GPUs and BFL FPGA singles that I have been using to mine BTC; however, I was told that if I wanted to mine other cryptocurrencies, perhaps I should focus on TerraCoin since I can use my current equipment for that. I was also told that my current stuff won't help with mining LTC. Was that advice accurate? Thoughts appreciated. Thanks.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: