Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 11:42:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My introduction to BTC Mining  (Read 438 times)
jpreston86 (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 10:52:21 PM

Hey everyone. I am fairly new to BTC mining and know that I am already far behind the power curve. I am currently running a single 7950 clocked at 1180/420 running stable at 75-76C and pushing ~600MH/s. I am looking to continue further down the road with mining and am trying to get some more hardware, preferably more 7950s or 7970s. My motherboard will support 2 more graphics cards. I am also looking to possibly invest in FPGAs. I know they are outdated thanks to ASICs but I have to start somewhere. Maybe when ASICs are a bit easier to get a hold of I will make that move. Any information or tips or hardware deals are greatly appreciated.
ThemCoins

Activity: 20

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 12:04:49 AM

go here if looking for ASIC
https://products.butterflylabs.com/
nightengale

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 02:40:05 AM

I'm curious what kernel and other modifiers you're using to get your 7950 up to ~600... I've overclocked mine a little based on some googling, and am hovering at ~500. Mining will start out higher than that, but the average settles in around ~500.

Honestly, based on the math, its a game of diminishing returns with the GPUs as the ASICs start to come out.

Once the BTC difficulty gets to a certain point, I'm going to switch to LiteCoin mining. It's my understanding that the algorithm used to mine LiteCoin is more complex and ASIC devices aren't as effective, so you can stay in the game with some decent GPUs.

I'm still a noob to all of this however and welcome other thoughts...
BitconArsenal

Activity: 1

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2013, 02:42:48 AM

Hey everyone. I am fairly new to BTC mining and know that I am already far behind the power curve. I am currently running a single 7950 clocked at 1180/420 running stable at 75-76C and pushing ~600MH/s. I am looking to continue further down the road with mining and am trying to get some more hardware, preferably more 7950s or 7970s. My motherboard will support 2 more graphics cards. I am also looking to possibly invest in FPGAs. I know they are outdated thanks to ASICs but I have to start somewhere. Maybe when ASICs are a bit easier to get a hold of I will make that move. Any information or tips or hardware deals are greatly appreciated.

I'm getting around 400MH/s with my 5770's in crossfire. Ebay is going to be littered with ATI graphic cards when people start getting their ASIC's. It's going to be completely worthless to mine with a GPU. I guess get a ASIC miner if you can, but you will be screwed if the mining algorithm is changed!!!
CryptoCurrencyMiners

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 02:44:24 AM

I'm curious what kernel and other modifiers you're using to get your 7950 up to ~600... I've overclocked mine a little based on some googling, and am hovering at ~500. Mining will start out higher than that, but the average settles in around ~500.

Honestly, based on the math, its a game of diminishing returns with the GPUs as the ASICs start to come out.

Once the BTC difficulty gets to a certain point, I'm going to switch to LiteCoin mining. It's my understanding that the algorithm used to mine LiteCoin is more complex and ASIC devices aren't as effective, so you can stay in the game with some decent GPUs.

I'm still a noob to all of this however and welcome other thoughts...

We have a long way to go as far as litecoin is concerned. GPU's will be a force for quite some time, so get in while you can, it's around 20% more profitable to mine litecoins with your rigs right now anyway.

Lazer Engraved Crypto Cards IN STOCK! http://Crypto-Cards.com  Customers Come FIRST! 100% Transparency!
DeanK

Activity: 12

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 03:22:14 AM

i'm getting a little better than the BFL 4.5 gig unit but i had to build 4 machines with a total of 8 7970 cards so a bit more juice usage you might say and a ton of fan noise plus the Wife scarfed one of the machines to mine PPCoin.
d0qtrx

Activity: 14

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 03:50:35 AM

Welcome.

I just got two 7870s online, together hashing a little over 800MH/s

I'm in the process of selling my GTX670 to hopefully turn it into a couple 5870's to expand my operation.

Basically, from there, I'll be looking to add hardware with 1/2 my earnings and sock away the rest until GPU mining becomes obsolete and I have to switch to LTC or buy ASICs.

The hard part is going to be explaining the pile of open-frame PCs with 4 video cards in the server room at work...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: