Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:49:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cooling is SO important!  (Read 1980 times)
TowlieLives (OP)

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 09:29:56 PM

I run my rig inside a cooler master HAF mid tower, I thought things were good enough with the cards running around 80c.  Today I started having some serious issues with inconsistent hash rates and hardware verification errors.  Sure enough heat was the issue.  Here is my solution!

https://i.imgur.com/U2OJJl.jpg

Since setting this massive 4" inline blower up in front of my case my temps have come down considerably.  GPU's are now running at 60 to 70c.  The difference it made in hash rates and accepted shares is nothing short of amazing!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
AngelusWebDesign

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 11:59:18 PM

Indeed -- heat is a real challenge.

I've had to add several fans in my "mining room" to deal with heat. Especially since it's where I work! (I work from home)
Litt

Activity: 350

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 11:02:25 PM

Cooling the mining gpu's are one thing.. they start heating up the room so bad now that it's getting closer to a full blown summer. I just know that I can't keep the mining rigs I have up all throughout summer because I can't stand the heat even with AC on. I will sell a rig before I risk myself any brain damage I suppose Grin Man I wish I was in the southern hemisphere right now.
Zagitta

Activity: 302
Merit: 100

Presale is live!

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 12:08:19 AM

I don't get why people don't build dedicated cooling solutions instead of having cards suffercate together with other hardware inside a case where airflow get limited by lots of things...

This works really well for me:

55-70 degrees depending on the weather @ 1ghz core, 300 mem, 1.2v vcore and 70% fan Smiley

rograz

Activity: 575
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 12:44:39 AM

This works really well for me:

Simply running them without a case helps a lot as well, nothing like having 2-3000$ worth of hardware on a rickety 15$ shelf!
ItsASpork

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 01:46:55 AM

Just throwing something out there, what would happen if you ran a computer in a fridge? Would it be too cold? I assume wires would be a problem too, but you could fix that with a bit of modification.

Feeling Generous? 16Zo6werKP4akoTfHc9P5XXBGS2jFqeuSt
Support the Bitcoin Faucet
Zagitta

Activity: 302

Presale is live!

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 02:00:14 AM

Just throwing something out there, what would happen if you ran a computer in a fridge? Would it be too cold? I assume wires would be a problem too, but you could fix that with a bit of modification.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/252012-11-computer-refrigerator-freezer

fascistmuffin

Activity: 56

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 02:03:46 AM

You wouldn't have anywhere to put your beer.
TowlieLives (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 03:28:54 PM

I would think humidity is an issue inside a fridge/freezer, not to mention the fridge would probably run non stop until it burns up the compressor.  I can't say i've ever tried that tho lol.
Swishercutter

Activity: 210

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 03:35:24 PM

I would think humidity is an issue inside a fridge/freezer, not to mention the fridge would probably run non stop until it burns up the compressor.  I can't say i've ever tried that tho lol.

Agreed, you are better off getting a cheap AC unit and building a large box to enclose it in with the AC units cold end facing in, NOT a swamp cooler.  AC units tend to have an air drying effect, which is a positive.
PcChip

Activity: 418

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 03:42:32 AM

I just want a way to direct the hot air outside!

Just about every idea I come up with involves drilling a hole in a wall somewhere to route a heat-vent-tube LOL

But seriously, where do I funnel all this heat?  inside it was making the AC run non-stop (my electric bill doubled after I started mining)

so I had them running out in the hot storage room (two gpu cores were at 84c at 100% fan) until I had a failure... one of the modular power plugs melted so I moved it down to the next plug, fired it right back up.  2 days later it won't power on, I assume the heat killed the entire PSU.

Does heat kill PSU's or did I simply overload it? (which is entirely possible as well)

Legacy signature from 2011: 
All rates with Phoenix 1.50 / PhatK
5850 - 400 MH/s  |  5850 - 355 MH/s | 5830 - 310 MH/s  |  GTX570 - 115 MH/s | 5770 - 210 MH/s | 5770 - 200 MH/s
TowlieLives (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 08:36:04 PM

I don't know if I mentioned this earlier but I plan to use my fan to vent the air outside.  The fan in the picture is designed to be fitted with dryer vent, it's cheap and flexible.  I plan to fab up a small cardboard vent I can close in the window and then hook it up to my fan.  It's my cheap and effective solution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: