Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 10:40:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: if bitcoin dies, what alt would you go for?  (Read 11336 times)
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 02:29:51 AM
Last edit: June 02, 2017, 02:49:19 AM by ArticMine

The first question I ask is:
1) What would be the most likely cause of Bitcoin's death?
The next question I ask is:
2) Which coin(s) (note I say coins not tokens) have a solution to (1) above?

I have been looking at question 1 above since 2011, when I first got involved with BItcoin, and I have come to the conclusion that the fixed 1 MB blocksize limit, and Bitcoin's inability to scale on the main chain is in fact the answer to question 1. Attacks on fungibility come in my opinion second. Furthermore second tier solutions such as the lighting network require scaling of the main chain in order to function, so while they do have very valid uses there are not a solution to the inability of the main chain to scale. At the heart of the problem lies the 21,000,000 XBT limit in Bitcoin, since this requires the eventual replacement of block rewards with fees to secure the proof of work. The trouble with this is: How does one make fees to rise? The answer becomes restricting the blocksize to create transaction scarcity. It is this that lies at the heart of Bitcoin's core opposition to increasing the blocksize. They are genuinely concerned about the long term security of Bitcoin and want to force the "fee market" while there is still enough block reward left to secure Bitcoin.

There is currently one coin among the top 10 in marketcap that has a solution to question 1 above, That is of course Monero. The reason is that Monero has both an adaptive blocksize limit and a minimum permanent emission of 0.6 XMR per block. The permanent emission ensures that Monero does not have to rely on a "fee market" in the future to secure the coin and fees can then be used to control the growth, via a market, of the blocksize by forcing the total amount of fees per block to compete with the emission. The net effect of this is that the total amount of fees per block becomes proportional to the emission so it becomes clear that fees can never replace the emission over the long term.

If one takes a look at other tokens one must first eliminate those tokens whose primary purpose in not their use as money. This does not mean that those tokens do not have value in their own right and may be worthy of investment and / or speculation. Examples of this are  Ethereum, Ripple, NEM, Ethereum Classic and Stratis. This leaves Litecoin, Dash, Monero and Bytecoin as tokens that aim to be coins. Litecoin and Dash have fundamentally the same issue as Bitcoin. A fixed maximum number of coins and a fixed blolcksize. In reality all they offer is a "kick the can down the road" solution. Bytecoin is more interesting. It has the same adaptive blocksize limit as Monero but a finite number of coins. This is aggravated by a very fast emission curve and a pre - mine / ninja mine of over 80% of the max number of coins. The net result of this is a block reward that is already below Monero's permanent block reward and falling fast. I believe that it is simply a matter of time before Bytecoin is taken down by a 51% attack. It could also fall to one of the many attacks that Shelby Moore III has described under one of his many usernames in this forum.  I know many in the Monero community see Bytecoin as the scam in the pre / ninja mine. I rather see Bytecoin as the canary in the coal mine, when one considers solutions such Bitcoin Unlimited. This air is getting more foul every 2 minutes and it is only a matter of time before the canary dies.

So what is left is Monero which also has the solution of a robust answer to the fungibility attacks on Bitcoin.

Edit: The Monero minimum emission is below 1% year inflation. This places it below the long term inflation rate of gold. For comparison it corresponds approximately to Bitcoin having a minimum emission of 3 XBT per block.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
nasipadang

Activity: 1274
Merit: 252

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 09:58:38 AM

I prefer doge because of its low value making transaction fee cheaper than the others and doge still last long despite the low value, eth and ripple because it's just below bitcoin and is likely to compete with bitcoin in coinmarketcap

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
1xBit.com  Super Six 
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
6 BTC PRIZE POOL
TAKE PART
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
panzerdeni

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 10:15:44 AM

I would go for for ETH or RDD.
ETH because is the second by value. RDD is kind of interesting because of the annual % that is Staked. So it acts like a bank in some sort and you have the coins in you. So if RDD have bigger value - demand I will go for it.
But if BTC dies this mean that most people will switch to other Altcoin with high demand in my opinion so the prices will go up fast. Or a lot of people will get mad and leave everything that go to the trash all the money and time.
My opinion ETH or RDD Tongue.
genos

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

Any store can buy, sell, and accept Crypto

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 10:26:03 AM

Obviously , i prefer with litecoin and eth. There is some reason why I choose those alternatives coin. Fisrt, litecoin is first alternatives coin that it's trusted enough, Many people put invest into that coin. Second, ethereum has many communities users which make ethereum get stronger than other alternatives coin. The price of ethereum keep going to the moon time by time, also it's has potentially growing in the future.

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀███▀████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▀▄█████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▄█▄▀████

███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀████████▀▀▀██▀▀▀███████████▀▀▀██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████▀▀▀█████
███          ▀███   ████████   ██    ▀█████████   ██           ▀████   █████
███   █████▄   ██   ████████   ██      ▀███████   ██   ██████▄   ███   █████
███   ██████   ██   ████████   ██   █▄   ▀█████   ██   ████████   ██   █████
███   █████▀   ██   ████████   ██   ███▄   ▀███   ██   ████████   ██   █████
███          ▄███   ▀██████▀   ██   █████▄   ▀█   ██   ███████▀   ██   █████
███   ▄▄▄▄▄███████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ███   ███████▄      ██   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄███   █████
███   █████████████▄        ▄████   █████████▄    ██        ▄▄▄█████   █████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
.Any Store Can Buy, Sell and Accept Cryptocurrency.██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
[[[ Whitepaper    Twitter     Facebook]]]
[[[  Telegram      Medium     Youtube ]]]
xx-man

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 11:43:29 AM

If Bitcoin dies, I'll choose a ripple to invest in this case, but I'm not sure if Bitcoin will die because Bitcoin is the first digital currency in crypto in a certain area, so it's not possible to die with what's been said in this thread .
marketone
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 11:58:13 AM

I prefer doge because of its low value making transaction fee cheaper than the others and doge still last long despite the low value, eth and ripple because it's just below bitcoin and is likely to compete with bitcoin in coinmarketcap

Yes, it will be good if the transaction is less but the supply of Doge is huge you have to consider this also. Because it cannot the same price like bitcoin because of high supply. I hope ETH is the best option because right there are many smart contracts being created by Ethereum.
(altair)

Activity: 308

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 01:36:37 PM

if bitcoin ever dies I think I would go with ETH or LTC,
but I doubt that bitcoin would never dies cause there are tons of investors out there.
pigheadbig

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 02:24:23 PM

Honestly, I have no idea what to choose,  maybe I will wait and observe what coin the majority people invested in, but for now if I would like to choose  ETH since it is most valuable coin besides the BTC.
nicolas1979

Activity: 826

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 02:26:37 PM

so let's assume bitcoin has imploded. there's still an alt market and you're still committed to the concept of crypto.

where do you put your money after that? what other projects do you truly believe in long term? i don't mean the pursuit of quick dollars, i mean something that you're willing to sit on for many years with enough integrity and potential to really go places.

There's a lot of places to invest, such as currency, commodities, and bond. Many ways to make profit but risk is always there. Everyone has their answer because they have plan with good calculation. We can follow success people or create new business, do something great. Like or not that's reality, don't stop trying or you'll be hanging. Good luck.

██▄     ▄▄░
▀██▄ ▄██▀
▄▄███████████████████▄▄
▄█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████▄
████▀                   ▀████
████       ▄▄█████▄▄  ▀▄   ████
████      ▄██████████▄▀    ████
████      ████████▀▀       ████
████  ▄▀ ▄██▀▀▀   ▄██      ████
████   ▀▀     ▄▄███▀       ████
████▄                   ▄████
▀█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
▀▀███████████████████▀▀
SECONDLIVE
CHOOSE LIFE      CHOOSE SPACE      CHOOSE FRIENDS
|    Twitter    |  Telegram  |   Medium   |  YouTube  |   Discord   |    TikTok    |    GitHub    |
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   S T A K E   L I T T L E   W I N   B I G   
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
        ▄▄███████▄▄▄
    ▄▄████████████████▄▄
   ████████████████████▄
  ███████▀▀▀█████████████
 ██████▌     ▀████████████
███████▀ ▀▀▄▄██▀▀▀█████████
██████             ▀███████
██████▄             ███████
 ███████▄▄        ▄███████
  ███████████▄▄▄▄█████████
   ▀███████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀▀
   ██████████████████████
tayrey

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 02:33:46 PM

If bitcoin dies ETH will be the most stable alternative but an alt that is going places is definitely Aragon. Actually I've already put a lot of money and thought to Aragon even before bitcoin dies. I found a good strategy is to put money in relatively stable currencies like bitcoin and ether, then put the rest in currencies that are going to moon such as Aragon.
davhek

Activity: 406
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 02:45:45 PM

ETH for sure, even now I'm thinking to invest more in ETH.
Stable, reliable and perspective.. plenty of ICOs are besed on it

Lumada

Activity: 520

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 02:58:27 PM

ETH for sure, even now I'm thinking to invest more in ETH.
Stable, reliable and perspective.. plenty of ICOs are besed on it

Many said that ETH can replace bitcoin soon because BTC are slow and needs high fee compared to ETH. I bought recently ETH and I'm happy that I already gain some profit.

OOOBTC.com

▬▬▬▬▬▬ ●  ● ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ●  ● ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ●  ● ▬▬▬▬▬▬

Bounty
ppc.pt

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 02:59:48 PM

It will never die, just the brand as value. The mystery around its creation, who created it, etc. You had to be crazy to make that bet.

And ETH is going to the top 1 spot anyway, it doesn't need anyone dying Smiley
xFiber

Activity: 336

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 03:02:12 PM

If bitcoin dies, which I dont' believe it will, all altcoins will die with it. The only way to kill bitcoin right now is for the governments to shut down the entire Internet.
Singwala

Activity: 462
Merit: 260

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 03:27:11 PM

I think I should go to Litecoins and Ether maybe this 2 Altcoins have a chance to replace bitcoins.

▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████████▄▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████████████▄▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████ ██ ████████▄▀█▄
█ ███████▄▄ ▌ ▄▄▄ ▀██████ █
█ █████████ ▌ ████ ██████ █
█ █████████ ▌ ▄▄▄▄ ▀█████ █
█ █████████ ▌ █████ █████ █
█ █████▄▀▀  ▌ ▀▀▀▀ ▄█████ █
▀█▄▀███████ ██ ████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▀███████████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▀███████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
JINBI

merges gold’s investment
holding value
with
blockchain technology
[
T H E   G O L D E N   I C O
────────     WHITEPAPER     ────────
]
▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████████▄▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████████████▄▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████ ██ ████████▄▀█▄
█ ███████▄▄ ▌ ▄▄▄ ▀██████ █
█ █████████ ▌ ████ ██████ █
█ █████████ ▌ ▄▄▄▄ ▀█████ █
█ █████████ ▌ █████ █████ █
█ █████▄▀▀  ▌ ▀▀▀▀ ▄█████ █
▀█▄▀███████ ██ ████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▀███████████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▀███████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
ErikSneijer

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 05:33:27 PM

I think I should go to Litecoins and Ether maybe this 2 Altcoins have a chance to replace bitcoins.

LOL @ litecoin. The developer said years back. Litecoin don't needs development Smiley

Eth has a chance although i Think some of the top 20 coins may also have a go for the number 1 position.
Pfizer

Activity: 406

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 05:36:49 PM

If bitcoin dies, I would definitely go for ethereum classic which has a huge potential. But rather than put all my money in one altcoin, diversing them into different ones is always better!
European Central Bank (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 05:53:40 PM

LOL @ litecoin. The developer said years back. Litecoin don't needs development Smiley

Eth has a chance although i Think some of the top 20 coins may also have a go for the number 1 position.

litecoin now has a full time developer, the guy who proposed the uasf in the first place. they'll also get all the segwit stuff that's being developed for bitcoin first. rootstock are talking about it too. cool stuff will happen.
Pierre 2
Legendary

Activity: 2422
Merit: 1358

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 08:16:17 PM

I would definitely prefer Litecoin and Ethereum Classic.
These 2 are only options to really replace bitcoin.
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 08:20:01 PM

Actually DOGE has a very important saving grace. A fixed emission. So it would be possible add an adaptive blocksize limit similar to the one in Monero while keeping the coin secure.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: