Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 06:59:20 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Issues with flashing BIOS, solved  (Read 274 times)
imtav (OP)

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 07, 2017, 09:38:08 PM
Last edit: April 07, 2017, 10:19:39 PM by imtav

I've been trying to use atiflash to modify the bios on my ASUS RX 470 4GB cards, and I 'brick' the cards, but then can successfully restore BIOS

I open the .rom in GPU-Z, save and back them up.  
Open the saved rom in PolarisBiosEditor, copy the timing from 1500 to 1625, 1750, and 2000
Then run atiflash -f -p 0 modGPU0.rom (-p 1 modGPU1.rom for second card) with administrator privileges.  Says it's successful.
I reboot, and Device Manager says the GPUs are damaged.

Then I do the exact same process, but flash them with the backup roms, and they work like normal.

Are there known issues with Windows 10 and flashed GPU BIOS?  Or am I missing an important step?  I've been searching forums and google for hours trying to find an answer to my question, sorry if this thread is redundant.  Thanks for any help!!
Tmdz

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 07, 2017, 09:42:08 PM

You should be using ati flash to back up roms.

But the problem here are the drivers, use a older driver that does not check the bios signature.
imtav (OP)

View Profile
April 07, 2017, 10:00:34 PM

Thank you.  I googled what you mentioned and found that 16.12.1+ blocks BIOS mods.
Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
April 07, 2017, 10:07:50 PM

Yes, as Tmdz mentioned the newer drivers check for the BIOS signatures. There is a workaround to this, but the older drivers work just as well. Since there is not a significant difference in hashrate, even when you get the newer drivers to work, its probably not worth the effort.

Also, you technically did not "brick" your card as that would mean you were unable to restore the BIOS at all, which would then basically render your GPU unusable or about as useful as an expensive brick, hence the term.

You simply attempted to modify the BIOS and then restored the original. I know, not as click-baity of a title, but then what do I know.
imtav (OP)

View Profile
April 07, 2017, 10:18:32 PM

Sorry for the misleading title.  Once I was able to restore it, I was relieved, but I panicked when it happened and 'brick' just stuck in my mind while I was trying to solve the issue.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: