Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:22:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Capping Hash Rates?  (Read 1057 times)
demoncrest (OP)

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 09:53:45 PM

Quick question, was just wondering if there is a way to cap the hash rate?

Most people are would be like "wtf moar is bettar" but due to personal health issues I need to keep the fans down, so I was wondering if there were flags which could be used to cap the hash rate at a certain level...

ex. I am pulling 700Mhash/s, and would want to cap it at 600Mhash/s so my GPU is not at full load and the fans will be lowered.

I've heard of -s but I dunno what the flag does, i've heard it can help though for things like this?Huh

Thanks all, and happy mining!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bji

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 09:56:41 PM

Most people are would be like "wtf moar is bettar" but due to personal health issues I need to keep the fans down, so I was wondering if there were flags which could be used to cap the hash rate at a certain level...

ex. I am pulling 700Mhash/s, and would want to cap it at 600Mhash/s so my GPU is not at full load and the fans will be lowered.

I've heard of -s but I dunno what the flag does, i've heard it can help though for things like this?Huh

If you are using Linux it's not hard do to stuff like this even if the program itself doesn't support it.  You just run a loop in a script that sends kill -STOP to your program, then waits, then kill -START, then waits, etc, etc.  It's not very fine-grained but it works.  See:

http://cpulimit.sourceforge.net/
BTC-Joe

Activity: 136
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 10:07:27 PM

Maybe you could underclock your GPU.
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2011, 10:14:16 PM

down clocking is definitely the way to go. not pausing the process!! urgs ... al the megahashes you would loose ...

aticonfig --adapter=0,1,2,3 --od-setclocks=550,900
is how I would down clock all 4 cards but don't copy this line if you have a differendt video card. use getclocks to find valid values first.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
demoncrest (OP)

Activity: 26

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 02:04:47 AM

down clocking is definitely the way to go. not pausing the process!! urgs ... al the megahashes you would loose ...

aticonfig --adapter=0,1,2,3 --od-setclocks=550,900
is how I would down clock all 4 cards but don't copy this line if you have a differendt video card. use getclocks to find valid values first.

Hmmm alright yeah I understand that the adapter values are for which GPU and the clocks are for whatever card in the format of <core,memory> hmmm...

Any idea on how this would work with guiminer flags? I'm kind of a coding/batch/linux noob so I went with guiminer instead.

I wish I had a list of all the possible GUIMiner flags... jeez why don't they have a site even explaining these things =(
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2011, 12:11:27 PM

you start bitcoin to get the work
you strat the miner to connect to bitcoin
you enter above command to a console to change the clocks of your video card

those are 3 different things. maybe in the catalyst you also can clock your card and monitor heat?

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
alkhdaniel

Activity: 114
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 12:22:24 PM

If you're using guiminer, try the -f flag (higher number = less usage, -f 100 is about 92% i believe)
If you're using phoenix, try the aggression flag (AGGRESSION=1 to 12, 1 being the lowest, 12 being the highest afaik, try somewhere about 5-6 to get 90% usage)

Even more retard-proof guide:
In guiminer, type -f 120 in the "flags"-box.
In phoenix, type AGGRESSION=5 at the end of the command.

Almost all miners have flags to lower usage, just look in the threads for info.
philipp

Activity: 30

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 12:27:29 PM

Why would you want to cap the hash rate? Wouldn't it make more sense to cap the maximum temeperature and reduce load when the system gets hot and the fans get noisy instead?

Otherwise you'll have to adjust you cap all the time with temperature changes to keep the fans silent.

Philipp
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 02:26:43 PM

Your best option is toying around with '-s'.  Start out at -s0.01 and take it down in small increments till you get the hash rate you want.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: