Bitcoin Forum
July 12, 2024, 10:26:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Tertiary/Higher Education  (Read 4827 times)
Zaih (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 06:57:00 AM

And people thought Bitcoin was a bubble...

Discuss
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2013, 08:53:51 AM

Did a teacher piss you off today? Cheesy
Zaih (OP)

Activity: 504

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 09:25:47 AM

Haha, you'd think so.

But nahhh. Been outta the education system for years now Smiley.
myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2013, 01:43:53 PM

Yeah, way too many people get college degrees, and end up asking if you'd like fries with that. It's just another way for you to be trapped in debt.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
JimmiesForBitcoins

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 02:49:12 PM

I believe it's primarily the result of too many people being dependent upon corporations for their employment, rather than working for themselves as contractors or starting their own business. Working for yourself seems like a pipe dream, and if you want to impress the big companies, everyone feels like they need a PhD in theoretical physics. Plus it's become the "norm" to get a degree. First question out of most people's mouths when I meet them is, "so what are you studying for?" So now the only way to set yourself apart is to become a rocket scientist or a doctor. Or a rocket doctor. Because rockets need doctors too.
Viceroy

Activity: 924
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 03:16:09 PM

Yeah, way too many people get college degrees, and end up asking if you'd like fries with that. It's just another way for you to be trapped in debt.

This is your experience?  (cough, cough, laugh)
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2013, 04:19:29 PM

It might be a bubble, with too many people getting college degrees, and yet, USA is losing a lot of its business to overseas countries that have way more college degrees than we do. I wouldn't say it's a bubble, as much as it's people studying what no one needs. USA is in dire need of degrees in science, engineering, and mathematics.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2013, 04:28:10 PM

I don't think it's in dire need of more degrees Rassah, western countries in general have that many degrees and courses that they don't know what to do with them all, I've been thinking back to the classes I sat in with schools and it amazes me how they managed to make the subjects so fucking boring. I look at stuff they taught back then that I've decided to partly look at again when I don't have anything else to do and what they taught was absolute garbage.

Seriously, how do you make digging for shiny and expensive gemstones and finding out where they live boring? How? In geography etc. all I got was a stupid textbook that ranted on about sand and climate change etc.
JimmiesForBitcoins

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 04:55:05 PM

I don't think it's in dire need of more degrees Rassah, western countries in general have that many degrees and courses that they don't know what to do with them all, I've been thinking back to the classes I sat in with schools and it amazes me how they managed to make the subjects so fucking boring. I look at stuff they taught back then that I've decided to partly look at again when I don't have anything else to do and what they taught was absolute garbage.

Seriously, how do you make digging for shiny and expensive gemstones and finding out where they live boring? How? In geography etc. all I got was a stupid textbook that ranted on about sand and climate change etc.
I think the internet will revolutionize not only college level education, but all education. It's going to make the term "market place for ideas" a whole lot more literal. It would help A LOT if the government would get the hell out of the way though.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2013, 04:57:23 PM

I think the internet will revolutionize not only college level education, but all education. It's going to make the term "market place for ideas" a whole lot more literal. It would help A LOT if the government would get the hell out of the way though.
+1

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Viceroy

Activity: 924
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 04:58:44 PM

You mean this:  https://www.khanacademy.org/
inge

Activity: 298
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 06:41:36 PM

[/quote]

Love it Smiley
1m1nd

Activity: 42

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 07:06:43 PM

this entire civilisation is a bubble
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2013, 07:20:49 PM

The sun's energy output is a bubble.
JimmiesForBitcoins

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 07:40:58 PM

That's one example, but we can go so much further. The fun has only yet begun. The net as we know it is only in its infancy.

The sun's energy output is a bubble.
I like to blow giant bubbles with wands. https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9y5T2Xdfytg#t=4s
wdmw

Activity: 199
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 08:19:37 PM

I saw/heard/remember a recent statistic that current college graduates are doing 1/2 the work of a college graduate in 1970, and earning twice the grade for it.  Regardless of how accurate these numbers are, its clear that the price of a college education is going up, and the educational quality of graduates is going down.

I work for a company that requires a degree (I do not have one).  I am an operations manager, and I am daily appalled at the lack of knowledge that these 'best and brightest' of our society possess.

When everyone has a college degree, they become practically worthless.  The effect is that it requires the equivalent of a home mortgage to get a job.

Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2013, 02:22:22 AM

I saw/heard/remember a recent statistic that current college graduates are doing 1/2 the work of a college graduate in 1970, and earning twice the grade for it. 

To be fair, 100 years ago many had to get up at 6 in the morning and go out to work the land of build things by hand until 8 in the evening. Technological progress has a whole hell of a lot to do with work being much less labor intensive than it used to be. Machines made farming and manufacturing easier, and since 1970s, computers made office work easier. There's no need to spend hours or days keeping track of accounts in thick 3-ring binders, adding numbers on a calculator or by hand, and drawing up detailed financial reports, when software can do it for you in minutes.

On the plus side, all those workers who have a lot less work to do, now have a lot more time to be creative and use their minds to create and improve things, instead of just doing repetitive tedious labor.
autodidactic

Activity: 175

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 09:39:14 PM

The similarity between a USD and a college diploma is the fact that both are backed by debt, and the belief they have any value at all.

LZKRTwu1jUM8MphtJox54hHmXH4SiNTron
myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2013, 09:41:21 PM

The similarity between a USD and a college diploma is the fact that both are backed by debt, and the belief they have any value at all.

That belongs on a T-shirt!

autodidactic

Activity: 175

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 09:59:53 PM

That belongs on a T-shirt!

Libertarians say it best? Cheesy?

LZKRTwu1jUM8MphtJox54hHmXH4SiNTron
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: