Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 04:36:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Democratic vote is held; Bitcoin limit is lifted to 900Million. How do you feel?  (Read 4910 times)
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 09:28:49 AM

update your clients now!

shibaji

Activity: 308
Merit: 102

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 09:30:38 AM

Less than a tenth of a percent of the world's population holds 90% of all available Bitcoins.

Don't you think that is the truth even now for fiat with unlimited amount of fiat printing ?
Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 09:43:22 AM

Bitcoin holders would never agree to that  Cheesy

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 09:53:21 AM

Inflatacoin fork troll thread ... how original  Roll Eyes

.... must have just had another wave of later adopters arrive

Inedible (OP)

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

What doesn't kill you only makes you sicker!

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 10:05:33 AM

Inflatacoin fork troll thread ... how original  Roll Eyes

.... must have just had another wave of later adopters arrive

You don't think that if a large portion of a sizeable country, e.g. the US were to get interested in Bitcoin, it wouldn't be in their own self interest to start a new blockchain for themselves under the guise of 'fairness', 'patriotism', etc?

Edit: This is nothing to do with inflation btw - sure, inflation occurs but my point is the self interest of a larger body of people than the current Bitcoin population.

If this post was useful, interesting or entertaining, then you've misunderstood.
tmbp

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 10:10:57 AM

I think what you're trying to point out is even though bitcoin is based upon irrefutable mathematics people are still stupid, if in 2020 the widespread leftist feminism will take hold of earth and most people will update their clients to heavily tax the rich (because the rich will be even richer by then and the poor will be even poorer)
Inedible (OP)

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 10:12:05 AM

I think what you're trying to point out is even though bitcoin is based upon irrefutable mathematics people are still stupid, if in 2020 the widespread leftist feminism will take hold of earth and most people will update their clients to heavily tax the rich (because the rich will be even richer by then and the poorer will be even poorer)

Something like that Wink

If this post was useful, interesting or entertaining, then you've misunderstood.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 10:15:20 AM

... leftist feminists don't operate mining rigs as far as I can tell  Wink Wink

stop attempting to get some baseless FUD going ... or better yet start your own inflatacoin crypto-currency, show us what you really got.

tmbp

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 10:17:45 AM

stop attempting to get some baseless FUD going ... or better yet start your own inflatacoin crypto-currency, show us what you really got.

Communicoin, every coin you buy is evenly divided across the network, for everyone according to his need!
Inedible (OP)

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 10:20:38 AM

What FUD?

It's not inconceivable after all, the Bitcoin population will currently be tiny compared to the a country the size of the US.

Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 11:36:20 AM

5% of miners won't go with the new rules. There will be a hard fork, with the original Bitcoin (Bitcoin 1.0) and the new one (Bitcoin 2.0). Some people will run to buy or obtain 2.0, but over time, the value of 2.0 will be diluted. People will look around for a non-inflationary store of value, something like gold, but digital, with scarcity built in. Someone will say "hey, there's this Bitcoin 1.0 thingie"... rinse, lather, repeat.
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 12:00:19 PM

Here's the thing, there is no vote.  Mining doesn't matter.

Any block that exceeds the generation curve in the software is rejected.  Doesn't matter if 99.9% of the world population want it, the blocks are still not valid.  Doesn't matter if 99.9% of the hashing power on the planet wants it, the blocks are still not valid.

There may be a new thing, a thing that is not-bitcoin, and people may use it.  But bitcoin blocks will continue to follow the original generation rate, forever.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
Inedible (OP)

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 12:02:55 PM

There may be a new thing, a thing that is not-bitcoin, and people may use it.  But bitcoin blocks will continue to follow the original generation rate, forever.

This new thing, say it were to be exactly like Bitcoin but it were to have a limit of 900 million and mining was set to start on a set date so 'everyone' could get in on the action. I could see the late adopters going for that instead. I would appear to give them the same opportunity as the early adopters of Bitcoin but in reality, the ones with money will have the most hashing power.

Mahn

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 12:12:06 PM

I doubt this will ever happen. If scarcity becomes a problem then another cryptocurrency will step up, but to dramatically inflate Bitcoin overnight would be an insane hit for its young economy. Merchants would not be able to take Bitcoin seriously anymore if this were to happen, since, who knows when the community will vote again to drive up or down its value?

Rygon

Activity: 520

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 12:14:43 PM

Bitcoin is not a method for redistirbution of wealth. It never has been, and never will be. It was designed to be a better way to store wealth and to send irrefutable transactions across the world. Bitcoin is an economy that you choose to join. The entry cost is a variable price. If people don't like it, they can leave anytime and start their inflatacoin. It's already happened at least a half dozen times. Litecoin, PPCoin, BBQCoin, etc. They aren't designed to redristribute wealther either.
RenegadeMind
Copper Member

Activity: 1380
Merit: 504

THINK IT, BUILD IT, PLAY IT! --- XAYA

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2013, 12:19:43 PM

It's the year 2020. Bitcoin has gained major traction.

Less than a tenth of a percent of the world's population holds 90% of all available Bitcoins.

A democratic vote is made across all Bitcoin adopters and they vote to bring the total number of mineable Bitcoins to 900 million.

Your options are to let them fork and be done with them or simply go along with it, knowing you're going to be diluted to a fraction of your previous value.

I see this as a very real possibility, especially once a large country decides to get the hump that it's not calling the shots and will start it's own alternative e-currency which can be easily (no artificial barriers here) converted from their own issued fiat and all under their own control.

Lemme see... The vote count is 2, with Ben Bernanke and Angela Merkel both voting yes, right? Smiley

crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 12:42:42 PM

Not gonna happen.

more or less retired.
Inedible (OP)

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 12:50:54 PM

Not gonna happen.

From the numbers of 'not gonna happen's, I'm guessing I've worded my post badly.

I just wanted to know how people would feel if a bunch of late adopters upped sticks and started their own thing having had us Bitcoiners pioneer e-currencies.

It wasn't about inflation or voting rights.

kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 01:06:47 PM

Not gonna happen.

From the numbers of 'not gonna happen's, I'm guessing I've worded my post badly.

I just wanted to know how people would feel if a bunch of late adopters upped sticks and started their own thing having had us Bitcoiners pioneer e-currencies.

It wasn't about inflation or voting rights.

They can fork bitcoin or make their own, but they don't, no matter how they vote get to take the value that we have put into the system over the years.  If their new system is useful, it will begin to gather value for itself.

This experiment has been done lots and lots of times already.  Bitcoin is the most valuable not because it was the first, but because it is the best.  A vote will not change that any more than a vote could make gravity reverse itself.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
knybe

Activity: 658

decentralize EVERYTHING...

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 01:08:31 PM

Just seems goofy to lie around in bed in the wee hours of the mornin contemplating odd fantasies like this.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: