Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:20:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Raspberry Pi 3 with usb HDD  (Read 1799 times)
rotkive (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 09, 2017, 10:18:47 PM

Hi, if I want to build a Raspberry Pi 3 node following this guide:
http://raspnode.com/diyBitcoin.html
Will this guide work if I want to use a USB-HD instead of a USB-stick?
And is the USB powerful enough to run an HD or do I need a HD with a power supply?
THX

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 09, 2017, 11:26:31 PM

Yes, it will be the same regardless of storing the blockchain in the SD card or USB device, you just have to point the datadir wherever you want/need.

If it's a Pi3 you (most likely) won't need an externally powered disk, it should be enough to have a good power supply for your Pi that can provide at least clean 5V 2A (low quality supplies or cables are a no go). Additionally, there's code that allows you to give USB ports more power, in case you need.
rotkive (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 10, 2017, 05:15:31 AM

Thank you very much!  Cool
italianMiner72

Activity: 910
Merit: 511

View Profile
April 10, 2017, 10:31:34 AM

Hi, if I want to build a Raspberry Pi 3 node following this guide:
http://raspnode.com/diyBitcoin.html
Will this guide work if I want to use a USB-HD instead of a USB-stick?
And is the USB powerful enough to run an HD or do I need a HD with a power supply?
THX

all will works fine..
i just suggest you, to buy a powered USB to SATA adapter, if you want to use an 3.5" HDD.
if you want to use and SSD, is ok to use just the unpowered adapter.
if you want to use just a SATA interface, there are module like this:
https://www.startech.com/ca/HDD/Adapters/usb-sata-converter-raspberry-pi~PIB2S31

██▬▬▬

██▬

██▬

██▬▬▬

████           ▄▄█████████▄▄            ▄▄█████████▄▄        ████         █████      ██████████████████   ████████████       ████    ████████████    
████         ▄███████████████▄        ▄███████████████▄      ████       █████      ████████████████████  █████████████      ████    █████████████   
████        █████▀       ▀█████▄     █████▀       ▀█████     ████     █████         █       ████       █  ████     █████             ████     █████  
████       ████▀           ▀████▄   ████▀           ▀████    ████   █████                   ████          ████      ████     ████    ████      ████  
████      ████▀              ▀████ ▀███▀                     ████ █████                     ████          ████     █████     ████    ████     █████  
████      ████                 ████▄ ▀                       ████████                       ████          █████████████      ████    █████████████   
████      ████                  ▀████                        ████████                       ████          ████████████       ████    ████████████    
████      ████▄             ▄██▄ ▀████▄                      ████ █████                     ████          ████    ████       ████    ████            
████       ████▄           ▄████   ▀████▄           ▄████    ████   █████                   ████          ████    ▀████      ████    ████            
████        █████▄       ▄█████      █████▄       ▄█████     ████     █████                 ████          ████      ████     ████    ████            
████████████ ▀███████████████▀        ▀███████████████▀      ████       █████               ████          ████       ████    ████    ████            
█████████████  ▀▀█████████▀▀            ▀▀█████████▀▀        ████         █████             ████          ████        █████  ████    ████            

▬▬▬██

▬██

▬██

▬▬▬██
whydifficult

Activity: 287
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2017, 10:02:00 AM

Don't be like me and buy the cheapest external hard drive enclosure you can find. I bought the "CiT 3.5 inch USB 2.0 SATA and IDE HDD Enclosure" for a few bucks on amazon and have some problems:

http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/65667/external-hard-drive-keeps-disconnecting/

Gekko a nodejs bitcoin trading bot!
Realtime Bitcoin Globe - visualizing all transactions and blocks
Tip jar (BTC): 1KyQdQ9ctjCrGjGRCWSBhPKcj5omy4gv5S
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: