Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:26:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcoin-ubercart-drupal is coming  (Read 6226 times)
mikegogulski (OP)

Activity: 360
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2010, 10:28:00 PM

I need to do some documentation work, testing and tidying before a release, but the basics are working:

https://github.com/mikegogulski/uc_bitcoin

Big thanks to the donors who have sent a total of BTC 154.05 in 4 separate donations. You folks rock!

FREE ROSS ULBRICHT, allegedly one of the Dread Pirates Roberts of the Silk Road

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
nanaimogold

Activity: 661
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 20, 2010, 10:42:50 PM

Hey Mike!

Nice to see you drop in.

Shane

mikegogulski (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2010, 11:08:57 PM

Hey Mike!

Nice to see you drop in.

Shane

Nice to be here Smiley

Anyone have a list of the most popular FOSS shopping cart systems?

Bimmerhead
Legendary

Activity: 1291
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 21, 2010, 12:45:52 AM

Man, you've been busy makin' stuff.  Thanks!

Here's a list of the big oc cms'.  Though it's not shopping cart specific most of these would still have a use for bitcoin integration:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/23880441/2009-Open-Source-CMS-Market-Share-Report-Excerpt

And here's a list of some of the os commerce biggies:

http://php.opensourcecms.com/scripts/show.php?catid=3&category=eCommerce

jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
November 21, 2010, 01:29:35 AM

Another 100BTC donation headed your way.

Working on shopping cart plug-ins for bitcoin is an important step in making bitcoin easy to use.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
mikegogulski (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2010, 11:55:16 AM

@Bimmerhead: Thanks. The full report (which you have to go to their site and fill in a form with bogus data to download) was somewhat helpful.

@Jgarzik: W00t! Thank you Smiley

Looking at the lists I think I just identified another couple of niches that can be served easily by Bitcoin: membership sites and pay-per-article sites. "Join now! BTC 10.00" or "Send BTC 10.00 to access this content".

Meanwhile on shops I should probably go revisit WordPress simply because it has immense market share. My first stab at at Bitcoin payment system was a plugin to wp-e-commerce, but I ran into a wall where I decided it couldn't be done without hacking that plugin's core. But there are a couple other cart frameworks for WP to look at, too.

WordPress, at least, has a decent architecture and API from the developer perspective. I haven't even really seen Joomla's API in the course of writing that plugin, since I had to talk almost exclusively to VirtueMart (itself a bit of a nightmare, really). Drupal's API is slick and functional but based on a whack-ass model owing to its origins in the non-OO PHP4 days.

I'd welcome a project outside the PHP world, though. Been pondering Satchmo/Django/Python and Broadleaf/Java. Anyone got things to say about those?

davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2010, 08:21:55 PM

I'd welcome a project outside the PHP world, though. Been pondering Satchmo/Django/Python and Broadleaf/Java. Anyone got things to say about those?

Ever tried Ruby on Rails ?
Honestly I don't know your other options, but Rails amazes me every day, also Ruby is a really really nice language.

mikegogulski (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2010, 01:09:29 AM

Ever tried Ruby on Rails ?
Honestly I don't know your other options, but Rails amazes me every day, also Ruby is a really really nice language.

I haven't used Ruby at all yet, but I'd have no trouble picking it up. Only thing is, I know Rails is fairly popular, but what's the e-commerce killer app that sits on top of it?

mizerydearia

Activity: 574
Merit: 507

View Profile
December 24, 2010, 10:42:51 AM

I suggest you to establish a project page at drupal.org - See http://drupal.org/cvs-application/requirements also http://drupal.org/node/7765
I am working on a drupal-based project that I will use your module for and could provide feedback on and possibly assistance with development.
mikegogulski (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2010, 01:52:35 PM

I suggest you to establish a project page at drupal.org - See http://drupal.org/cvs-application/requirements also http://drupal.org/node/7765
I am working on a drupal-based project that I will use your module for and could provide feedback on and possibly assistance with development.

Hey there.

Doing that would involve putting the loathesome GPL on my code, reformatting it to meet Drupal's hideous coding standards, and doing a lot of work to support internationalization that I don't really have the motivation for.

That said, if someone else puts that effort in, I might become a maintainer...

hippich

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 24, 2010, 10:17:05 PM

Hm.. Drupal coding standards are not hideous at all. As I understand, this code is public domain and I can take it, reformat or do anything to be accepted in drupal.org and put it under GPLv2+? If so I might consider to fork it and post it under my account. But for you to become co-maintainer you still need to apply for a CVS account on drupal.org.

jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
December 24, 2010, 10:28:50 PM

Hm.. Drupal coding standards are not hideous at all. As I understand, this code is public domain and I can take it, reformat or do anything to be accepted in drupal.org and put it under GPLv2+? If so I might consider to fork it and post it under my account. But for you to become co-maintainer you still need to apply for a CVS account on drupal.org.

CVS???  That's quite hideous.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
hippich

View Profile
December 24, 2010, 10:37:39 PM

they still use CVS for developing drupal and all extensions. There are talks about moving everything into GIT, but that's tons of work and can't be done really easily. All infrastructure built about CVS right now and it will take some time to rewrite code to use GIT.

mizerydearia

View Profile
December 24, 2010, 10:45:18 PM

It is convenient to have the project integrated into drupal.org website though.
mikegogulski (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2010, 11:33:25 PM

My code is public domain, so please go do what you want with it. In fact, it's not even mine any more, it's yours!

Meanwhile, drupal.org wants me to do bogus shit like this:

Code:
if (condition1 || condition2) {
  action1;
}
elseif (condition3 && condition4) {
  action2;
}
else {
  defaultaction;
}

when this would suffice quite neatly:

Code:
if (condition1 || condition2) action1;
elseif (condition3 && condition4) action2;
else  defaultaction;

I minimize code for my own benefit, not for that of others who can't deal with where to stick a // when they need to get a little job done. Selfish, I know.

So, frankly I don't care to swim in that pool. Call it a religious dispute if you will.

The MUCH bigger issue is that I'm not going to put out first-release code of my own under the awful GPL, which is a requirement to register a project at drupal.org. I'm *never* going to try to compel people, under state penalty, to do anything with what I publish.

mikegogulski (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2010, 11:35:12 PM

It is convenient to have the project integrated into drupal.org website though.

That's true. Go make it happen?

mikegogulski (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2010, 11:37:20 PM

CVS???  That's quite hideous.

No doubt, right? CVS is against Gh0d's plan for H1s creatures.

mizerydearia

View Profile
December 25, 2010, 12:35:49 AM
Last edit: December 25, 2010, 01:15:05 AM by mizerydearia

Maybe add a price handler?  Something like:

Code:
function uc_bitcoin_uc_price_handler() {
  return array(
    'alter' => array(
      'title' => t('Bitcoin price handler'),
      'description' => t('Handles Bitcoin pricing alteration.'),
      'callback' => 'uc_store_price_handler_alter',
    ),
    'format' => array(
      'title' => t('Bitcoin price handler'),
      'description' => t('Handles Bitcoin price formatting.'),
      'callback' => 'uc_store_price_handler_format',
    ),
    'options' => array(
      'sign' => 'BTC',
      'sign_after' => TRUE,
      'prec' => 2,
      'dec' => '.',
      'thou' => ',',
      'label' => FALSE,
    )
  );
}

Perhaps you could contribute your code to http://www.ubercart.org/contrib instead of drupal site.

I created #drupal-bitcoin on FreeNode IRC network if you'd like to collaborate about developments.
hippich

View Profile
December 25, 2010, 01:47:12 AM

Perhaps you could contribute your code to http://www.ubercart.org/contrib instead of drupal site.

ubercart.org site's contribution part is not good place. It do not have versioning control, it do not integrate with Drupal's update subsystem (read - no way to autoupdate module through drush), etc. The only good place to put module if we are serious about it is Drupal.org.

hippich

View Profile
December 25, 2010, 01:54:36 AM

My code is public domain, so please go do what you want with it. In fact, it's not even mine any more, it's yours!

That's cool. That means I understood right this unlicensed "license" =) So I will do this at some point (if no one will do it before, 'cos I am a way slow... true programmer =))

Meanwhile, drupal.org wants me to do bogus shit like this:

Yeah. We can debate a lot about how it's right to write code, but most important - to keep same style in every bit of project, especially when you deal with such big project as Drupal. For example, wordpress do not have so strict rules and as a result - there is tons of low quality, non maintained code. And often same functionality done slightly differently by different plugins.

Anyway, this was just a bit of support of drupal-way dealing with contributed code. =)

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: