Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:36:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Would investing into an altcoin pump it's value?  (Read 1115 times)
Heyo:P (OP)

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 11, 2017, 02:05:44 AM

Alright, forgive me if this is a dumb question, but I'm not too experienced when it comes to day trading.

So, lets say 100 people buy 10$ worth of a small altcoin; would that not cause it to skyrocket in value? I know that it wouldn't last forever (just a simple pump) but it would probably get pumped enough to allow the original people to sell and get a little cash. Am I right or do I just have no idea what I'm saying?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Weatherby

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 11, 2017, 03:08:01 AM

Alright, forgive me if this is a dumb question, but I'm not too experienced when it comes to day trading.
So, lets say 100 people buy 10$ worth of a small altcoin; would that not cause it to skyrocket in value? I know that it wouldn't last forever (just a simple pump) but it would probably get pumped enough to allow the original people to sell and get a little cash. Am I right or do I just have no idea what I'm saying?
It all depends upon the supply and demand of the coin,if you have more buyers and sellers then you would see a pump in the coin and it is the case with everything in commerce and trade,if there is a demand the price would rise and when the investors want to book a profit then they will dump the coins thereby decreasing the value.
Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
April 11, 2017, 05:21:57 AM

as my top comment said, it is about the supply and demand.
look at the orderbooks to get some feeling of how much money is needed to push the price up. for example for some altcoins that are big it is about 50BTC to push the price up less than 5%.
but for some it cane even be 0.1BTC to push the price up 50%.

after seeing the orderbook remember than not everything can be seen in already open orders. there are bots using the exchange API or using features inside the platform itself that will trigger when the price moves (up or down) and they come in for sell or buy respectively and that will also mean some resistance.

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
Nathan047

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 11, 2017, 01:50:43 PM

Okay, so if I were to start a mailing list and get 500 people to put 10$ into a scamcoin and then dump it a week later that would work or is that a loss of money waiting to happen?

Did I just steal OP's idea?

I'm starting a technology blog T4CH.top, check it out!
Idrisu

Activity: 924
Merit: 260

View Profile
April 11, 2017, 02:08:16 PM

to me you are right. What moved an assets price is volume in a particular direction. If many people are buying and few people are selling the assets (altcoin) will definitely increased in values and if those people on buying position sell their position off their will make little profit.
just_Alice

Activity: 1274
Merit: 622

View Profile
April 11, 2017, 03:26:38 PM

Actually even small altcoins need much more than $1k for a pump and it is not so easy to convince hundreds of people to invest $10 in an unknown coin because most people even with a bit of trading experience know that the chances of making profit are very small. You have to react in minutes if the dumping has started otherwise you will lose your money most likely.
Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
April 12, 2017, 07:09:26 AM

Okay, so if I were to start a mailing list and get 500 people to put 10$ into a scamcoin and then dump it a week later that would work or is that a loss of money waiting to happen?

that is how the pump groups work actually. the buy the coin cheap themselves first and then start telling their sheep followers to buy that coin (and it really doesn't matter which coin). then the sheeps start following the wolf and the wolf kicks them one by one into the valley of death as he dumps the coin he bought cheap on their head and they keep losing money.

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
stevegreer
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

Official Zeitcoin community ambassador

View Profile
April 12, 2017, 07:35:30 AM

that is how the pump groups work actually. the buy the coin cheap themselves first and then start telling their sheep followers to buy that coin (and it really doesn't matter which coin). then the sheeps start following the wolf and the wolf kicks them one by one into the valley of death as he dumps the coin he bought cheap on their head and they keep losing money.

That's pretty much how 99.99999% of ICOs work as well. YoBit thrives on ICOs and has a new one almost daily. You have to roll the dice and risk it with those to be quick enough on the draw to grab up as many ICO coins as possible within the first few minutes of the release (insiders have it best) and then dump them immediately back onto the exchange for a much higher price where the noobs are waiting to throw away their money. It's fun to watch.

RentGPU

Activity: 661
Merit: 258

View Profile
April 12, 2017, 10:08:34 AM

Can this pump groups perform well also on a coin like bitcoin with it's large trading volume or they only pickup any 1 satoshi coin and pump it ,because if this pumping strategy works on bitcoin too no wonder why it got etf rejected.

2016 GPU Miner
phr0stbyt3

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 12, 2017, 05:29:34 PM

Alright yes price increase is possible but this is one of the dumbest thing a trader can ever do. Let's just say you invest in some coin and price increases by few dollars if there aren't any buy orders you will end having a coin of high value but no buyers are there.
sKroXx

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 12, 2017, 05:57:31 PM

Yes, you would increase the price, but no one assures that you would be able to sell all you have accumulated at a higher price. Buying large quantities increase the price but when you have to actually sell, there could be no one willing to buy and thus the price would plummet.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: