Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 04:22:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Using "off peak" electricity  (Read 896 times)
Karen Palen (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 11:28:46 PM

I am using Ubuntu Linux, so far with just a test setup using an old nVidia GPU (yes I know ...)

My problem is that we have a "Time of Use" electric power plan - US$0.20/Kwh from 1pm to 8pm weekdays and US$0.066 /Kwh at all other times.

This seriously impacts the potential profits from mining, so I want to throttle back/turn off the GPU during the "peak hours". Especially if I invest in a high power GPU for actual mining!

Best guess so far is to have a cron job which starts/stops the miner during peak hours.

Does anyone have a better solution?
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Zxian

Activity: 12

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2011, 12:45:26 AM

Cron is probably your best bet. It's simple and as long as you've got your clock properly synced to your timezone it should manage itself.

I've got a script running on cron that runs every 5 minutes just to check that the miners are indeed working and that my graphics cards aren't exploding. It's quick, simple and it works.
ibisy70

Activity: 88
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 01:13:00 AM

Thats not a bad idea...however Im able to pay extremely high electric bills easily anyways.
Auriga

Activity: 6

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 02:10:53 AM

My problem is that we have a "Time of Use" electric power plan - US$0.20/Kwh from 1pm to 8pm weekdays and US$0.066 /Kwh at all other times.

This seriously impacts the potential profits from mining, so I want to throttle back/turn off the GPU during the "peak hours". Especially if I invest in a high power GPU for actual mining!

To determine if you actually have a problem, you should calculate the cost of electricity per hash.  You could calculate it using the Mhash/J information at:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_Hardware_Comparison

Most of the cost of mining is usually the mining card, so there is usually no reason to turn off the GPU.  However, if your old card happens to have an extremely low electrical efficiency, then it may be worthwhile to turn off the GPU.  You should find out first before going through the trouble of setting up a cron job to turn the card on and off.
Karen Palen (OP)

Activity: 14

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 05:16:18 AM

Most of the cost of mining is usually the mining card, so there is usually no reason to turn off the GPU.  However, if your old card happens to have an extremely low electrical efficiency, then it may be worthwhile to turn off the GPU.  You should find out first before going through the trouble of setting up a cron job to turn the card on and off.

Well with the old card I don't have a problem, it is lost in the noise and the machine runs 24/7 for other reasons anyway.

If I decide to get into this seriously however I plan to buy a high end card (ATI 6xxxx series) and dedicate (one or more) old/cheap machines to it.

THEN the power costs get significant - particularly with a 20/7 (plus HVAC cost!) ratio.

My present thought is to simply put the whole machine into hibernation or standby mode via a cron job.

Right now I have 3 old machines sitting around that could be put to use under a counter (or something).

Cron is probably your best bet. It's simple and as long as you've got your clock properly synced to your timezone it should manage itself.

I've got a script running on cron that runs every 5 minutes just to check that the miners are indeed working and that my graphics cards aren't exploding. It's quick, simple and it works.

I like your idea of checking to see if things are still alive - hadn't though of that one! Thank you!

Of course all of this depends on the ratio of cost of mining to the value of Bitcoins - right now at US$15/BTC it works nicely, but in 3 weeks - who knows?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: