Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:07:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [CLOSED]Friend I just got into Bitcoins... how generous is this forum??  (Read 760 times)
FuzzyBear (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1420
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2013, 04:07:20 PM
Last edit: April 24, 2013, 05:51:07 PM by FuzzyBear

Hello all,

I have been round these forums for about a year now and have had many months happily lurking in the Alt-currencies forum board, but I recently got a friend into bitcoins and he was keen to see just what the community is like.  I told him not to expect much in the terms of Bitcoins from users on here as I have received a total of 0.25000003 BTC in my year of being here... :/ suppose it better than nothing Smiley

from my tips/donations address here .... https://blockchain.info/address/1FvMYwtkrQakoL8Zq1GjfKqTkm2a7TKt6N

But I hope to be proved wrong!! I am sending him 0.1btc tonight when I go home as only have 1btc to my name :/ most tied up in altcoins that i have been trying to mine for a little while now, but don't want to scare him off with talk of all the million altcoins out there atm, so if you are feeling generous then please donate to him on this address here

1DMWbkWh2jtV6yhnbuLyvkCkwZrtt3knvK

any amount, however small will start to convince him (and myself) that all the users of bitcoin are NOT just hoarders looking out for number 1... I personally have donated thousands of PPCoins, and Terracoins over the year to many people as a way of saying thank you for various projects, and to new users, just wanted to see what the bitcoin community response was Smiley

any beef with this post?? well let me know Smiley don't want to upset others, or let people feel that I am a bad person (honest I am not Tongue) but how can some of the stigmas be overcome? how can I improve my posting and myself?

***** Earn DEV at http://devtome.com *****
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 04:09:02 PM

0.25? I've gotten none considering I wrote aVanityGen and a Genesis Block Generator.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
queequeg

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 04:09:38 PM

Thread does not deliver
cdog

Activity: 1036
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 04:14:16 PM

Its not about giving BTC away, its about doing productive things with them that advance the BTC economy.

Have him write a blog on some area of expertise for him, link it and accept donations there.
keatonatron

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

Jack of oh so many trades.

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 04:25:22 PM

If that's all it takes to get free money, I'm about to become "unconvinced" real quick  Wink

1KEATSvAhbB7yj2baLB5xkyJSnkfqPGAqk
Capitan

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 04:54:46 PM

Move to lock/delete this thread based on the fact that it's basically begging for money.
BinaryMage

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

Ad astra.

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 05:07:46 PM

any beef with this post?? well let me know Smiley don't want to upset others, or let people feel that I am a bad person (honest I am not Tongue) but how can some of the stigmas be overcome? how can I improve my posting and myself?

For starters, you could stop writing transparent guilt trip threads in an attempt to make money. All humans look out for themselves (and their offspring) first - those that didn't were quickly removed from the gene pool. If you believe you prioritize otherwise, you're either horribly deluded or long due for a sharp thwack from Darwin's cane.

Begging in the big bad world of reality is generally considered a despicable occupation, used only as a last resort - yet here, in our little microcosmic "advanced" civilization, innumerable forum users post "donation" addresses - for projects, sometimes, but more often simply for themselves - and, unlike beggars on 123 Main Street, are apparently offended when people do not send them bitcoins! If wealth is what you or your friend (if he actually exists, which I doubt) desire, and so it would appear, there are far more productive ways to acquire it. Bill Gates did not become the common metaphor for wealth in sardonic sentences he is today by begging on Internet forums!

-- BinaryMage -- | OTC | PGP
FuzzyBear (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1420
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2013, 05:50:15 PM

well my theory on this forum is unfortunately proven... tis disappointing really that with all the donations that I have made there is no reciprocal charity, only those ready to quickly shun the idea of a welcoming giving community.  Well i'll send him 0.2 btc and am locking and closing this thread so as not to cause more upset in the forum.  

0.25? I've gotten none considering I wrote aVanityGen and a Genesis Block Generator.

that disappoints me.. even more... this is more what I am talking about where yes the friend could write a blog etc do some work, write a program etc and yet here is clear evidence that even THIS does not work as a means to receive any donations... as a point of note one of my larger donations was to the user who runs http://www.cryptocoinexplorer.com/ and he had not received any tips or donations from users using his website until he asked. i'll send you 0.1btc as well Smiley

Its not about giving BTC away, its about doing productive things with them that advance the BTC economy.

Have him write a blog on some area of expertise for him, link it and accept donations there.

well he sets up and runs servers... so i'll be getting him to add his instructions and info on that and linking to accept BTC but will be getting him to add it all to devtome.com so at least he can earn devcoins by writing.

Your post was the only true constructive post for advice on what he should do, but I am doing this already and I feel every man and his dog is as well... was wondering what else he could do... but i suppose that is where he needs to be smart and look at what is needed / would be useful and fill that gap in the market.... but ty, send me an addy and i'll send you a donation of 0.1btc as well Smiley

For starters, you could stop writing transparent guilt trip threads in an attempt to make money. All humans look out for themselves (and their offspring) first - those that didn't were quickly removed from the gene pool. If you believe you prioritize otherwise, you're either horribly deluded or long due for a sharp thwack from Darwin's cane.

Begging in the big bad world of reality is generally considered a despicable occupation, used only as a last resort - yet here, in our little microcosmic "advanced" civilization, innumerable forum users post "donation" addresses - for projects, sometimes, but more often simply for themselves - and, unlike beggars on 123 Main Street, are apparently offended when people do not send them bitcoins! If wealth is what you or your friend (if he actually exists, which I doubt) desire, and so it would appear, there are far more productive ways to acquire it. Bill Gates did not become the common metaphor for wealth in sardonic sentences he is today by begging on Internet forums!

I hear you and can see where you are coming from, but this is my first "guilt trip" thread where i have ever asked for anything for free, and for the record tbh yeah I most likely am horribly deluded about people in the word.... but then my questions can be used to see if we can evolve to be a community that can break free of the evolutionary path that we have been marching down blinkers on.... maybe i'm an idealist and have far too a bright view of the world in that it can change, or maybe the community has been burnt with too many other scams and bad vibes that has left it tainted.  Hey i'm part of the community to so don't feel i'm guilt tripping you, i'm just expressing what I am feeling and wondering if others feeling the same, or what their thoughts are really so thank you for yours, and yeah i know begging in some parts of the world is seen as despicable thing to do, but in other parts of the world it is equally true that if u don't ask you don't get.

and for the record, yes my friend does exist, though i fully appreciate that there is no way of me proving this whilst keeping the BTC's annominity for myself and my friend.

***** Earn DEV at http://devtome.com *****
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: