Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 03:23:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tom's Hardware Review of 7990  (Read 1318 times)
gateway (OP)

Activity: 552
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 05:29:55 PM
Last edit: April 24, 2013, 06:04:00 PM by gateway

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7990-review-benchmark,3486.html

No details on BTC Mining, which I think should be a standard in card reviews these days Smiley
So no really telling how much it will push, my current set of 7970's push around 660-710 depending on card, stability and settings.

Does it push 1400 in one card for $1000 I dont think so.. Im guessing maybe 800+ maybe??

Anyhow mine on..

scifimike12

Activity: 303
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 05:57:49 PM
Last edit: April 24, 2013, 06:11:57 PM by scifimike12

Does it push 1400 in one card for $100 I dont think so.. Im guessing maybe 800+ maybe??

I think you forgot an extra zero.. $1000.  Wink

With some tweaking and undervolting, I'd be willing it hit 1.2GH/s.
gateway (OP)

Activity: 552

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 06:04:23 PM

Does it push 1400 in one card for $100 I dont think so.. Im guessing maybe 800+ maybe??

I think you forgot an extra zero.. $1000.  Wink

With some tweaking and undervolting, I'd be willing it hit 1.2GH/s.

Smiley to quick to type.. $100 would be a steal !

BBQKorv

Activity: 280

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 06:17:18 PM

I have two 7990s, not the Malta ones but Powercolor/Club3D variant. They do 1.2Ghs with ~1030 or so core. Stock volts and no heat issues. Could possibly do the same Ghs with lower core if I used higher intensity, they are on a desktop so I must have it responding without lag. 950W from the wall, it's a OC'd 3770K system with 32GB RAM, SSD Raid and a couple of mechanical HDDs. Plenty of powerful fans too.
buddrulez

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 07:03:42 PM

I have two 7990s, not the Malta ones but Powercolor/Club3D variant. They do 1.2Ghs with ~1030 or so core. Stock volts and no heat issues. Could possibly do the same Ghs with lower core if I used higher intensity, they are on a desktop so I must have it responding without lag. 950W from the wall, it's a OC'd 3770K system with 32GB RAM, SSD Raid and a couple of mechanical HDDs. Plenty of powerful fans too.
Just out of interest what do you do with 32 gb of ram?!
Miner99er

Activity: 310

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 07:12:15 PM

There are three reason to buy one of these.

a) You're having density issues with your current rigs (hard to find 5970's and 6990s)

b) You're GPU mining and electricity is eating most of your profits.

c) If you're gaming on an ITX platform and you want to mine also (I guess.)

These cards fitting into a 375 Watt power envelope is nice

Unfortunately, two 7970's are cheaper and they can hash at a higher rate. The 8 game bundle is nice (and might push the cost down to about $800) but we still have two weeks before they're available for retail anywhere.

Still buying 7970's/7950's till I hit reason "a" myself.

Bought From Yochdogx2, Alexmat, SgtSpike, David_Benz, Beaflag VonRathburg, Slaveindebt, Cptmooseinc, Coinhoarder

Donations? SURE! 16foPr8FAjYXKL8ApQAzihnigXm1qNhi8Q

http://pyramining.com/referral/yfab9med7   
http://pyramining.com/referral/ahmc7en6z
http://pyramining.com/referral/pagndq4xc   
http://pyramining.com/referral/79b2gmrzx
http://pyramining.com/referral/e2ghz4asy
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2013, 08:02:59 PM

I also have 2 non malta 7990s.

I get 1280 per board with 1050 cores although also undervoltaged. Power consumption was 850ish from the wall, so - system and psu thats about 310W per GPU.

So even though my partner boards have 3x8pins, they have the same power draw as these 'new' cards, and cheaper. These are $1000 release cards, so £800 with VAT added. I paid £680ish, although there are more games with this.

However I see a serious problem with these cards:
They've put them in dual slot coolers. At stock clocks they were loading just below the 80s, horizontally mounted in an open air, single card system. This was on GPGPU computing. ZERO air is exhausted and its all left to be removed by the case.

My 3 slot cards and their 3kg of heatsink struggle together, even with a riser'ed slot gap. The bottom card loads at +45-50 above ambient, and the top card +55-65 above ambient. [Note I don't have voltage control of the 2nd core on each card for some reason, hopefully this will arrive with newer drivers as I have control when there is only ONE card - this will improve temps slightly]. This is with a 1050 core.

Now I can honestly say there just isn't going to be any way that you could put 2 of these cards in a case and expect the top one not to overheat. I have 3x250mm, 5x240mm of fans removing heat from cards that semi exhaust - these don't at all. You will have to open air, just have to.

I'm more than happy with my 3 slot non Maltas, think I got it right.

Gomeler

Activity: 697

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 08:06:26 PM

I run 3 VMs on my desktop that consume around ~15 gigs of ram at the most. For example, my BTC and altcoin wallets lives on a VM that lives on a RAID6 array. I have another VM that runs my trading bot and market tracking bots. Each of these VMs are sandboxed from the others but consume a ton of ram, therefore why I have 32 gigs on my desktop. It doesn't help that I also typically have a few games running in the background and just alt-tab into whichever game I feel like picking up that day.
Gomeler

Activity: 697

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 08:10:52 PM

I get 1280 per board with 1050 cores although also undervoltaged. Power consumption was 850ish from the wall, so - system and psu thats about 310W per GPU.

So even though my partner boards have 3x8pins, they have the same power draw as these 'new' cards, and cheaper. These are $1000 release cards, so £800 with VAT added. I paid £680ish, although there are more games with this.

They've put them in dual slot coolers. At stock clocks they were loading just below the 80s, horizontally mounted in an open air, single card system. This was on GPGPU computing. ZERO air is exhausted and its all left to be removed by the case.

My 3 slot cards and their 3kg of heatsink struggle together, even with a riser'ed slot gap. The bottom card loads at +45-50 above ambient, and the top card +55-65 above ambient. [Note I don't have voltage control of the 2nd core on each card for some reason, hopefully this will arrive with newer drivers as I have control when there is only ONE card - this will improve temps slightly]. This is with a 1050 core.

Now I can honestly say there just isn't going to be any way that you could put 2 of these cards in a case and expect the top one not to overheat. I have 3x250mm, 5x240mm of fans removing heat from cards that semi exhaust - these don't at all. You will have to open air, just have to.

Which board are you using? In the past I used a Rampage III Extreme with 2 GTX 580 DCII GPUs that were triple slot. By using PCIe slots 1 and 3, the cards had 1 slot between each other. Both cards sat at comfortable temps while gaming but I imagine they'd roast like my 5870s do with no gap between the cards.
BBQKorv

Activity: 280

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 08:20:17 PM

I run 3 VMs on my desktop that consume around ~15 gigs of ram at the most. For example, my BTC and altcoin wallets lives on a VM that lives on a RAID6 array. I have another VM that runs my trading bot and market tracking bots. Each of these VMs are sandboxed from the others but consume a ton of ram, therefore why I have 32 gigs on my desktop. It doesn't help that I also typically have a few games running in the background and just alt-tab into whichever game I feel like picking up that day.

Exactly, few VMs and some highly RAM intensive stuff running so 32GB is a must. Next mobo will be something else than one with just 4 RAM slots though.
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2013, 09:28:10 PM

Which board are you using? In the past I used a Rampage III Extreme with 2 GTX 580 DCII GPUs that were triple slot. By using PCIe slots 1 and 3, the cards had 1 slot between each other. Both cards sat at comfortable temps while gaming but I imagine they'd roast like my 5870s do with no gap between the cards.

Oh I've risered a slot in between them.

But just reminded me actually, the PCs are actually 3.2 slot. They take up 3 slots AND the typical gap between the bottom and next slot. Running without a free gap you can only mine on 3 cores. Regardless of the underclock, TDP limiting, undervolting or intensity, the 4th core always overheats.

I have a slot at the moment and there isn't a lot of head room at all.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: