Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 12:22:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I am about to buy some coin. What are the steps I need to take to be safe?  (Read 671 times)
CoinsAreCoins (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 05:45:42 PM

Hi guys

I am going to buy some coins from either Mt.Gox or BitStamp.

Before I do that what steps do I need to take to store the coins or can I just keep the coins in my online account with gox or stamp? Or do I need a wallet?

Thanks.
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 05:46:22 PM

it depends on the level of security you want.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
warhawk187

Activity: 327
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 05:48:38 PM

I would keep backups of all the BTC you own on your own wallet client, and on several usb drives just to be sure. And perhaps a paper wallet just in case those fail.

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 05:55:55 PM

Risk / benefit trade-off.  Just as you might have $10k in your bank account and $100 in your wallet, I would keep the bulk of my bitwealth in a wallet stored offline and some spending money at an exchange like MtGox. That way you can spend from your smartphone without exposing yourself to much risk.
How much is a tricky question, but I try to keep less available online than the value of the phone. 

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
tempestb

Activity: 729
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 06:36:34 PM

It might be overkill, but I have multiple wallets on different machines.  I move the money around between them so if one gets compromised via malware or other hacking attempt, the damage is minimal.  I try not to store much online unless I'm prepared to use it.  Large sums get placed on wallets on machines that I then take offline so they are never sitting up vulnerable.

That said, if you just be careful and pay attention to what you're doing, you'll be ok.  The biggest thefts seem to happen by scammers more than hackers.  Don't be tricked into anything dumb.  Also, if you ever need to send a large amount to someone, I suggest sending a small amount first to make sure the transaction goes through ok.  Then send the rest.  I've been in situations where people have accidently given me the wrong address and the coins end up lost.  So pay attention, play it smart. 

1D7JwRnoungL1YQy7sJMsqmA8BHkPcKGDJ
We mine as we dream...  Alone
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 06:42:20 PM

Hi guys

I am going to buy some coins from either Mt.Gox or BitStamp.

Before I do that what steps do I need to take to store the coins or can I just keep the coins in my online account with gox or stamp? Or do I need a wallet?

Thanks.

Depends how much you are buying, how much security you need, and how liquid do you need them to be. I'll tell you what i do.

load linux and a copy of bit-address.htm on a flash drive. Boot your pc from the flash drive. Physically connect your computer to your printer with a usb cable. Print out paper wallets. Laminate paper wallets and store in safe.

This is a VERY secure and low tech way to keep your coins safe.

oh and be careful with this advise to store bitcoins on usb. Usb data can erode with time. Probably optical disk would be better if you wanted to save an actual wallet file on a disk and put it in a safety deposit box or something.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 06:46:19 PM

It might be overkill, but I have multiple wallets on different machines.  I move the money around between them so if one gets compromised via malware or other hacking attempt, the damage is minimal.  I try not to store much online unless I'm prepared to use it.  Large sums get placed on wallets on machines that I then take offline so they are never sitting up vulnerable.

That said, if you just be careful and pay attention to what you're doing, you'll be ok.  The biggest thefts seem to happen by scammers more than hackers.  Don't be tricked into anything dumb.  Also, if you ever need to send a large amount to someone, I suggest sending a small amount first to make sure the transaction goes through ok.  Then send the rest.  I've been in situations where people have accidently given me the wrong address and the coins end up lost.  So pay attention, play it smart. 

i think your method is not overkill so much as it is silly. Use 1 computer that you keep offline all the time with the armory client imo. More secure and easier than your method.

If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
geekoin

Activity: 9

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 06:56:36 PM

offline wallet and paper backup!
Nancarrow

Activity: 492
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 07:08:36 PM

I use Electrum and keep the wallet on my laptop. It generates wallets deterministically using a randomly generated seed, which can be encoded as 12 words, which can and should be memorised. So in theory you could then delete the wallet, and as long as you remember the 12 words you can still access your bitcoins. Maybe print them out and store the paper under a floorboard and mention it to your loved ones.

If I've said anything amusing and/or informative and you're feeling generous:
1GNJq39NYtf7cn2QFZZuP5vmC1mTs63rEW
CoinsAreCoins (OP)

Activity: 14

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 07:58:10 PM

So once I have my coins in Mt.Gox how do I move them to a wallet?
Malawi

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

One bitcoin to rule them all!

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 08:46:07 PM

So once I have my coins in Mt.Gox how do I move them to a wallet?

Just click withdraw and paste in the adress to your vallet, and they should be sent almost imidiately.

BitCoin is NOT a pyramid - it's a pagoda.
firstlast

Activity: 159

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 08:55:04 PM

If you're investing a significant amount into bitcoin and plan to actively trade on Mt.Gox, get a yubikey (2 factor authentication). There have been an increasing number of stories of hacked accounts (fake or not), so at least protect yourself.
SpaceCadet

Activity: 165

Just mining my own business...

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 09:52:34 PM

Ok - noob question:  using 'standard' wallet, what file(s) actually hold the coin data?  In other words, what should I back-up/keep off-line to protect it's contents? Can that file(s) be transferred to another wallet (on an different machine, for example) to regain access to it?  Or is there a good thread on 'basic wallet management'?

Thx!
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 10:49:27 PM

Ok - noob question:  using 'standard' wallet, what file(s) actually hold the coin data?  In other words, what should I back-up/keep off-line to protect it's contents? Can that file(s) be transferred to another wallet (on an different machine, for example) to regain access to it?  Or is there a good thread on 'basic wallet management'?

Thx!

in the standard qt client this data is held in a file called wallet.dat in the roaming section of your appdata directory.

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4312
Merit: 3214

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 11:00:54 PM

Thx!

As a newbie, it would be better if you didn't use the "standard" wallet, that is, bitcoin-qt. There are a few wallets that are easier to use.

Basic Wallet Management:

Rule #1: back up your wallet (even if it doesn't have any coins yet)
Rule #2: encrypt your wallet (even if it doesn't have any coins yet)
Rule #3: Do not proceed until you have followed rules #1 and #2.

Sharing wallet data between different wallets is going to cause confusion, and the confusion might cause lost coins.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
SpaceCadet

Activity: 165

Just mining my own business...

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 02:58:09 AM

Thx!
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 10:04:28 AM

Thx!

good luck and congrats on getting in relatively early

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: