Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 07:31:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Likes and dislikes on Bitcointalk?  (Read 3373 times)
lockept93 (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2017, 10:23:09 PM

I wonder that one of the most used features in forums and communities is not in use on bitcointalk.
It would be nice to vote up good posts and downgrade bad ones.

I think there is a reason why its not esed here - what is it?
What did u say?

layoutph

Activity: 1386
Merit: 255

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2017, 11:00:26 PM

Thumbs up for site's activity algorithm, this prevent someone from becoming Legendary level in no time.

Thumbs down for site's appearance, no logo, no customization, no social media accounts.
Yakamoto
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 11, 2017, 11:22:39 PM

I wonder that one of the most used features in forums and communities is not in use on bitcointalk.

What did u say?
No, we don't need a like/dislike button for Bitcointalk. It takes away from people who have to go and actually form their own opinions, and issues that have divided stances (like segwit v BU v core right now) would just end up with people becoming +1 or -1 based entirely on their stance on an issue, and some users would be willing to go and like or dislike all the other posts of a user because of small spats that they have online.

Hell, why would you just want to see a like or dislike on a post? This is a forum, and it's not like you have to be smart. Your trust will speak more about who you are and how you work than just having some likes or dislikes. I can be dumb as a brick but if I can be an effective escrow service and be 100% accurate and efficient with business I do, then that's more important than my likes.
bettercrypto

Activity: 1372
Merit: 270

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2017, 11:27:39 PM

Thumbs up for site's activity algorithm, this prevent someone from becoming Legendary level in no time.

Thumbs down for site's appearance, no logo, no customization, no social media accounts.

I do like the activity algorithm to but this is easily counter by buying an account so thumbs down on allowing account sales.  I also like the segregation of topic specially in marketplace.  It makes the section easy to browse and find a specific goods we are interested with.  I like the reputation thing but dislike those who abuse it,

BIG WINNER!
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄███
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░
▀██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
▄████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄
▀██░████████░███████░█▀
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████
▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
mrcash02

Activity: 1190
Merit: 525

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
April 11, 2017, 11:28:28 PM

What did u say?

I already tought about it once and I think it's a nice idea. Sometimes you don't have what to write, what to say, but you would like to agree with someone or thanks someone, so you don't need to post only a "thank you so much", you can have a button that replaces it.

I believe nobody here leads their own opinion based on others likes and dislikes. It's not because I saw a post with 200 dislikes that I will disagree with the post content, vice versa.

I just think this thread should be posted on Meta section, as discussions about forum itself are done there.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
Windpower

Activity: 532
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 11, 2017, 11:36:38 PM

What did u say?
No, we don't need a like/dislike button for Bitcointalk. It takes away from people who have to go and actually form their own opinions, and issues that have divided stances (like segwit v BU v core right now) would just end up with people becoming +1 or -1 based entirely on their stance on an issue, and some users would be willing to go and like or dislike all the other posts of a user because of small spats that they have online.

Hell, why would you just want to see a like or dislike on a post? This is a forum, and it's not like you have to be smart. Your trust will speak more about who you are and how you work than just having some likes or dislikes. I can be dumb as a brick but if I can be an effective escrow service and be 100% accurate and efficient with business I do, then that's more important than my likes.
I definitely agree with you that there shouldn't be a like or dislike button. This would just deter people from posting their own opinions and instead just copy the more popular responses. Instead, I think that we should just have an up-vote button. This would mean that the more well thought out responses would be at the top of the topic and the more spammy posts would be at the bottom so that people wouldn't have to read them. No down-vote button should be implemented.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
April 11, 2017, 11:47:11 PM

We have new forum software that will do all of that for you and more. It should be ready any day now. LOL

Pearls Before Swine

Activity: 1190
Merit: 306

View Profile
April 11, 2017, 11:47:59 PM

What did u say?

I disagree with the above, and I agree with the suggestion put forth by OP.  I think it would be very useful if this forum had such a function.  All the cool kids are doing it, you know.  Whether it's absolutely essential or not is hard to argue, but it would enhance this community a bit.  I'm surprised to see so much vehement disapproval.
naville

Activity: 116
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 11, 2017, 11:48:29 PM

What did u say?

I definitely agree with you that there shouldn't be a like or dislike button. This would just deter people from posting their own opinions and instead just copy the more popular responses. Instead, I think that we should just have an up-vote button. This would mean that the more well thought out responses would be at the top of the topic and the more spammy posts would be at the bottom so that people wouldn't have to read them. No down-vote button should be implemented.
agreed, but we dont need both button though
Yakamoto
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 12, 2017, 12:08:14 AM

What did u say?

I disagree with the above, and I agree with the suggestion put forth by OP.  I think it would be very useful if this forum had such a function.  All the cool kids are doing it, you know.  Whether it's absolutely essential or not is hard to argue, but it would enhance this community a bit.  I'm surprised to see so much vehement disapproval.
Then you obviously haven't seen just how "effective" this type of feature is on various online forums, now have you?

Look at Reddit. The single best example for this entire system.

If you speak from the narrative, or you don't agree with the popular opinion, you just get downvoted. No explanations, no debates, it's just "No, I'm right, and these internet points prove how much people agree with me, so I'm right", leading to an appeal to popularity and bandwagon logical fallacies.

As for all the cool kids are doing it, that's actually not true anymore. Facebook (and by extension its like feature) is on the decline, and 4Chan (despite the cesspool of bullshit, thanks to being entirely free-speech-based and every posts existing on its merit alone) is on the rise, however it will never get as big as Facebook for obvious reasons. Snapchat doesn't have a like or dislike feature, but that's the new cool thing.

Like/dislike functions take away from legitimate discussion. If people can just say "I don't like what you think, here's a -1" and never be required to explain why, that's what it becomes. Hell, just look at reddit's /r/politics if you want to see this in play. If you don't agree with the narrative, expect hundreds of downvotes, but only maybe a half-dozen individual responses.

There is no enhancement beyond people declaring "look at how many likes I have" and just becomes another extension of attention whorishness. All it means is that more people agree with them, regardless if they're right or wrong. It's an appeal to popularity, and will make users believe that they are better than other users much like how the quantity of Facebook friends would inflate egos just under a decade ago.

Going back to what I said in my earlier post, there are many instances on this forum where I have seen two users get pissy at each other for something that happened in another thread. Like/dislike buttons can lead to just serial dislikes easily. Again, see reddit as an example for this.

TL;DR It inflates egos, does not enhance anything beyond making it easier to appeal to popularity, and takes away from discussion and debate by simplifying discussions into "no, I don't like that. -1" while there are more complexities to be had.
AngryDwarf

Activity: 476
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 12, 2017, 12:08:39 AM

Comment re-ordering on a linear topic would make those topics senseless to read. Reddit, for example allows responses to comments in a tree like fashion. I'm still not convinced that re-ordering based on likes/dislikes is always a good idea in a tree based system, as comments could be based on knowledge acquired from other tree branches.
Dislikes I am against. People should make reasoned arguments against why they think someones assertion is wrong or misleading. It's just open for abuse by indoctrinated people.
Likes I am not sure about. Sure, it is good way of showing that you agree with someones views without adding inane waffle. However, some people just want positive confirmation just to make them feel good, which is not always appropriate for a debate. It can also be abused by indoctrinated people.

Scaling and transaction rate: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=532.msg6306#msg6306
Do not allow demand to exceed capacity. Do not allow mempools to forget transactions. Relay all transactions. Eventually confirm all transactions.
darkangel11
Legendary

Activity: 2394
Merit: 1349

Don't let others control your BTC -> self custody

View Profile
April 12, 2017, 12:18:50 AM

I do like the activity algorithm to but this is easily counter by buying an account so thumbs down on allowing account sales.  I also like the segregation of topic specially in marketplace.  It makes the section easy to browse and find a specific goods we are interested with.  I like the reputation thing but dislike those who abuse it,
Account sales are close to impossible to track, because how would you? You'd have to block people from changing emails and passwords, but then if someone forgot it they'd lose the account.
If you really want to give thumbs down add things like now way of changing forum appearance. Things like that were widely available years ago, but here it's grey or nothing.
I'd be happy to see any improvements , including likes/upvotes, that feature which shows new posts without refreshing the site would be nice too.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
lockept93 (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2017, 12:29:50 AM

I still think voting up posts here would be very helpfully. It also can be a +1 or something and a counter in every profile.

At least downvotes can easy show for everybody whats totally wrong or scam.

chennan
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 12, 2017, 12:38:14 AM

I actually really like the minimalist design of this forum.  It functions perfectly well and does what it needs to do which is to be a place to discuss cryptocurrencies. 

It just always seems like when a website tries to get too fancy with it's website design, the functionality of the site always goes down. 

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4533

View Profile
April 12, 2017, 12:44:27 AM

+- voting just ends up with the guys with multiple accounts and people of particular teams all chipping in to self gratify and pretend it means they are correct.

it then leads away from people actually reading the content and then going out to research themselves to find the truth. but instead people becoming lazy thinking "it must be true he has +50"

for instance, on facebook. when you see the news feeds people think its real that celebrity X has died, simply because the article has over 1mill shares.
leading to another 1mill posts of condolences.. meanwhile celebrity X is alive.

where as posts highlighting celebrity X being alive, get little to no response

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Mometaskers

Activity: 1764
Merit: 584

View Profile
April 12, 2017, 02:52:15 AM

I don't think this would do anything for the forum. Maybe just allow people to post reactions like that on FB. Rather than just allow people to spam reactions indiscriminately, maybe allow them to only do that after they have posted a reply.

Which brings me to another thing I would like to see implemented... allowing us to at least get notifications whenever we get quoted. Right now the only way to check if someone reacted to my comments is to go to my profile, and open each post to check the thread to see if anyone quoted me.

+- voting just ends up with the guys with multiple accounts and people of particular teams all chipping in to self gratify and pretend it means they are correct.

it then leads away from people actually reading the content and then going out to research themselves to find the truth. but instead people becoming lazy thinking "it must be true he has +50"

for instance, on facebook. when you see the news feeds people think its real that celebrity X has died, simply because the article has over 1mill shares.
leading to another 1mill posts of condolences.. meanwhile celebrity X is alive.

where as posts highlighting celebrity X being alive, get little to no response

You nailed it. It would probably just exploit people's herd mentality.
BCTBF

Activity: 560
Merit: 257

View Profile
April 12, 2017, 03:11:23 AM

I think bitcointalk not have any mistakes and I really like being in bitcointalk and be part of the bitcointalk forum.
Coding Enthusiast
Legendary

Activity: 1039
Merit: 2783

Bitcoin and C♯ Enthusiast

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2017, 05:12:25 AM

I thought I saw this feature somewhere back in the old days!
Here you go: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=264337.0
I have no feedback on it though, since I have never used it.

BT++ includes:
Configuration for nearly all the features
Up/downvote people (requires a BT++ password)
See the total score of people
Like/dislike posts
A chat
A Bitcoin ticker, using your own source/currency
Hide threads
Add your own CSS file
Display the real target domain next to each link (helps against phishing)
Link to threads links directly to the last read post
Auto-format Bitcoin addresses and txids
New "upload image" button in the reply form
Auto-refresh current page

Projects List+Suggestion box
Donate: 1Q9s or bc1q
|
|
|
FinderOuter(0.19.1)Ann-git
Denovo(0.7.0)Ann-git
Bitcoin.Net(0.26.0)Ann-git
|
|
|
BitcoinTransactionTool(0.11.0)Ann-git
WatchOnlyBitcoinWallet(3.2.1)Ann-git
SharpPusher(0.12.0)Ann-git
Joel_Jantsen
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1310

Get your game girl

View Profile
April 12, 2017, 11:16:31 AM

That's not it.You should see other algorithms theymos uses for various other activities like the Trust System.Some next level programming stuff.Putting the activity and posts counts for ranking up is fairly easy.The most complicated stuff actually happens behind the screen.

Who cares ? Welcome to the nerd nation.We prefer  terminal and commands over drag and drop anyday!
btvGainer
Legendary

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2017, 11:59:28 AM

What did u say?

I am also against the idea of like and dislike button.If you like someone's post simply thank him by quoting his post.Like and dislike button will begin unnecessary competition between users to get more likes to their posts.
It may also encourage buying or selling likes like fb likes are sold.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: