Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 07:28:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: where will TX fees go once difficulty reaches 0?  (Read 431 times)
temporalcausality (OP)

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 08:01:36 PM

So, i've been mining for a couple years now and just had a thought.   Currently tx fees go to miners as an extra sort of bonus for each block mined.   

When difficulty reaches 0, and the blockchain has all 21 million blocks, who will the tx fees go to?
Kruncha

Activity: 644
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 08:05:26 PM

It goes up, not down. The reward will always go to the miners, they'll still be needed to create secure transactions. By then transaction fees will be substantially higher, creating a never ending resource for miners.

K.
avabit

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 08:08:03 PM

The transaction fees wouldn't necessarily be higher, but likely more valuable as bitcoins become more adopted. The difficulty changes based on the hash rate of the network and adjusts to ensure that a block is mined roughly every 10 minutes.
Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 08:09:53 PM

So, i've been mining for a couple years now and just had a thought.   Currently tx fees go to miners as an extra sort of bonus for each block mined.   

When difficulty reaches 0, and the blockchain has all 21 million blocks, who will the tx fees go to?

Sure you know how Bitcoin works?

Hint: 21 Million Blocks?

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4368
Merit: 3061

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 09:50:28 AM

I'm going to assume you mean when the block reward reaches 0 and all 21 million coins have been mined, in which case transaction fees continue to go to the miners just as they always have. Good thing too, since that's what motivates miners to continue mining past that point. Note that the purpose of mining is to secure the network, not to produce new coins; new coins are just a (temporary) side benefit to bootstrap the whole process. Once all coins have been mined, miners will be paid purely in transaction fees, ie, Bitcoin will be supported on a pure "user pays" basis.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: