Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 06:17:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: windows trading client for MtGox  (Read 1260 times)
temporalcausality (OP)

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 08:49:30 PM

I'm wondering if there's any interest in a windows based (.NET) trading client for MtGox.   I've developed one for my own trading purposes, and have been considering releasing it to the general public if there is sufficient interest.    I would release a demo version that can be registered/upgraded for .1 BTC to full functionality.   Registration associates the application with your mtgox account using an encrypted hash of certain undisclosed static account information, so it can be used across multiple PC's by a single user, but activation keys cannot be shared between users.

Some of the features which are not supported by the mtgox webpage include:

- Placing a group of bids across a spread of prices automatically
 - one click "cancel all bids"
 - multi-select several bids and cancel selected with one click
 - built-in live market chart with depth graphs (in both total USD to price and total BTC to price)
 - live list of trades as they happen
 - your own socket.io connection to mtgox for streaming market data
 - uses HTTP api to place bids
 - trading will still work during most mtgox DDos's that may make trading via their web page impossible or annoyingly slow

Some planned future enhancements include:
 - Basic automated trading functionality (trickle buy/sell, automatic placement of bids based on distance from moving average, execute bid X when bid Y is filled, etc)
 - Automatic stop loss bids if price exceeds a certain level
 - Market chart enhancements
 - Historic market data availability

I'm posting this to get a feel for whether or not it's worth my time and effort to release and support the application or not.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CaptainAK

Activity: 142
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2013, 10:28:20 PM

I would be interested in seeing a demo of this app....
ManBearPig

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

"Don't go in the trollbox, trollbox, trollbox"

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2013, 12:43:25 PM

Of course this would be fantastic, would definitely be interested.

I tweet crypto nonsense: https://twitter.com/DunningKruger_
Malawi

Activity: 224

One bitcoin to rule them all!

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 01:22:40 PM

+7937

Sounds great :-)

I think you should give it a go.

BitCoin is NOT a pyramid - it's a pagoda.
temporalcausality (OP)

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 04:19:58 PM

There is now a public version available for download at http://bitcointrader.tempors.com if anyone is interested in trying it out.  The market chart still needs a bit of work, but will be updated soon in a future version.   Updates will automatically download at application startup from the web server.

It defaults to demo mode, but registration does work if you wish to unlock full functionality.

You will need to add an API key from your mtgox account in order to be able to trade, view your balance, or view account history (copy and paste the API key and Security key into the ApiKey and SecKey fields in the application).   If you wish to register, you will need to give this API key withdrawl rights in order to send the 0.1 BTC registration fee.   Once the fee is sent, you can disable withdrawl rights on the API key if you are worried about account security.   Registration will associate full functionality with your mtgox account, so you can re-use the activation key it emails you on multiple PC's if you want to, but if you have more than one mtgox account, you will have to register the application on each account.

The "Connect" button will connect to socket.io and start up streaming of live public market data, which doesn't require you to enter an API key or security key.   The 'Login' button will connect to account-specific data and allow you to view your balance and trade if a valid API key and security key is entered.

kakobrekla

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

Psi laju, karavani prolaze.

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 04:21:40 PM
Last edit: April 29, 2013, 04:33:09 PM by kakobrekla

This will be all useless/irrelevant once BTC/USD is in MT4.

temporalcausality (OP)

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 07:26:34 PM

I'm not aware of any official announcements from MtGox or any of the other exchanges that they are planning to support MetaTrader 4.   When is this supposed to happen, and on which exchanges?   I've actually been hoping for MT4 support myself for quite some time lol.
kakobrekla

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

Psi laju, karavani prolaze.

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 07:30:49 PM

I'm not aware of any official announcements from MtGox or any of the other exchanges that they are planning to support MetaTrader 4.   When is this supposed to happen, and on which exchanges?   I've actually been hoping for MT4 support myself for quite some time lol.

Gox will not be making any announcements.

BTCClicks

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 09:35:03 PM

UI design isn't that hard in .NET
Please use the normal and native styles and colors of windows.

Malawi

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 09:52:54 PM

I got some .net errors

temporalcausality (OP)

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 10:12:04 PM

I got some .net errors

Make sure you have .NET 4.0 installed.   If that doesn't work, can you post the error you are getting on here?
Malawi

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 10:32:15 PM

My .Net version is v4.0.30319

I fired it up again now, and offc there are no error-reports from .net.

I only get an error in the Bitcoin Trader itself "error in processTicker:Input string was not in a correct format"

BTW: You should make space for seperate BUY/SELL order interfaces, I imagine that it might be very easy to make a sell instead of buy or vica versa. And possibly make their buttons seperate colors so that it's easy to tell which is which.

At the batch order, you could fill out the form, and then have "buy batch" and "sell batch" buttons underneath.

temporalcausality (OP)

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 11:15:47 PM

I only get an error in the Bitcoin Trader itself "error in processTicker:Input string was not in a correct format"

BTW: You should make space for seperate BUY/SELL order interfaces, I imagine that it might be very easy to make a sell instead of buy or vica versa. And possibly make their buttons seperate colors so that it's easy to tell which is which.

At the batch order, you could fill out the form, and then have "buy batch" and "sell batch" buttons underneath.

Those are all very good suggestions and I will work on making those changes, along with fixing the processTicker error Smiley
Malawi

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 11:42:56 PM

Those are all very good suggestions and I will work on making those changes, along with fixing the processTicker error Smiley

Also - If possible, you should let people use the software as a registered version for now, and rather charge for it in a future version, or give people 1-2-3 months free full versions. -If you need reg. version to actually trade with it that is.
The unregistered limit should nevertheless be raised to something like 1-3 hrs instead of 10 mins.

I am a very small-time trader with only 2-3 BTC, but might pay .1 BTC if I found that I wanna use it for some time forward. But paying up-front for something without a name in the community is really not gonna happen. Actually I think you would make more if it was "donate-ware" but I might be wrong on that one.

temporalcausality (OP)

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 01:17:52 PM

Also - If possible, you should let people use the software as a registered version for now, and rather charge for it in a future version, or give people 1-2-3 months free full versions. -If you need reg. version to actually trade with it that is.
The unregistered limit should nevertheless be raised to something like 1-3 hrs instead of 10 mins.

I am a very small-time trader with only 2-3 BTC, but might pay .1 BTC if I found that I wanna use it for some time forward. But paying up-front for something without a name in the community is really not gonna happen. Actually I think you would make more if it was "donate-ware" but I might be wrong on that one.

I'll look into loosening up the demo restrictions and increasing the demo version timeout in the near future.   The demo does allow you to place bids, but they're limited to .1 BTC or less each.   Giving people a fully functional demo version for a week or two after initially downloading it could probably be implemented without too much trouble and is something I will consider.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: