Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 07:12:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it possible that bitadress.org creates a Priv Key that dont match Public Key?  (Read 2178 times)
Spekulatius (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 09:41:02 PM

As I said, is it possible that bitaddress.org creates private keys that dont match the public keys it generates?
It would be quite horrible if you sent a large amount of Bitcoins to an address with a faulty private key! I wonder if it is possible and/or has happened in the past that bitaddress.org, the program I am using for it has such a defect.

Thx
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 01:07:20 AM

As I said, is it possible that bitaddress.org creates private keys that dont match the public keys it generates?
It would be quite horrible if you sent a large amount of Bitcoins to an address with a faulty private key! I wonder if it is possible and/or has happened in the past that bitaddress.org, the program I am using for it has such a defect.

There was a bug with v2.1's vanity address code.  It was discovered fairly quickly and I'm not aware of anyone having lost any funds from it:

The fix is now live as part of v2.2:
https://www.bitaddress.org/bitaddress.org-v2.2-SHA1-d414530eea984e9ebdd40dc27af9078cd73dc3b3.html
 - critical bug fix to Vanity Wallet multiplication of a public key with a private key.
   Bug was due to incorrect construction of BigInteger object. Which results in the incorrect
   Bitcoin Address being displayed. Therefore, v2.1 has been taken offline.

Nobody has ever reported a paper wallet with the claim that the Bitcoin address didn't correspond to the private key.

You can check using BrainWallet:
 - http://brainwallet.org  <--- Click "Private Key" then paste.  Can be used Offline as well.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █