Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 11:45:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin / Ethereum blockchain questions  (Read 490 times)
zzert1234 (OP)

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 13, 2017, 05:36:26 PM

Hi Guys,

Questions about the Bitcoin/Ethereum chains, I assume both work the same way. I am trying to understand these:

1. Does the blockchain really contain a log of every transaction ever happened, and if yes which computers store that information, and how large is the whole chain at the moment ? Who runs these "master" chain servers and how do you run one ?  Is this what would be a "fully synchronized wallet" and wouldn't a fully synced wallet weight 1 TB in 10 years, so only few people can practically store these.

2.  Lets say you receive a transaction to your address while your "wallet is offline". When you connect your wallet, does it find out immediately its balance or you have to run a full wallet synchronization before it will know how much coins it has got ?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Qartada

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2017, 07:51:21 AM

I don't know a lot about Ethereum but I'll answer about Bitcoin.
1. Does the blockchain really contain a log of every transaction ever happened, and if yes which computers store that information, and how large is the whole chain at the moment ? Who runs these "master" chain servers and how do you run one ?  Is this what would be a "fully synchronized wallet" and wouldn't a fully synced wallet weight 1 TB in 10 years, so only few people can practically store these.
Yes, the blockchain contains a log of every transaction.  In theory, holding Bitcoin involves downloading the blockchain, and users who run a "full node" (a node that follows all Bitcoin rules) basically download the entire blockchain on their computer, so that's where it's stored.  It's impractical for everyone to run a full node as it has to be active nearly all of the time to keep up to date and broadcast information to other full nodes, so therefore many users just run a lightweight node, which is where a third party basically keeps the copy of the blockchain for you but you control your private keys and therefore still properly own the Bitcoin.

For people who do want to download a full node, you just have to download the most recent version of Bitcoin Core.  Currently, it recommends that you have 125GB of storage space to download and various other requirements.
2.  Lets say you receive a transaction to your address while your "wallet is offline". When you connect your wallet, does it find out immediately its balance or you have to run a full wallet synchronization before it will know how much coins it has got ?
I think it would need to fully synchronise, hence why running a full node is impractical for most users.  Satoshi predicted that there would be under 100,000 nodes, probably less.  It's fine though since lightweight wallets are practical for people.

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2017, 08:51:31 AM

It's impractical for everyone to run a full node as it has to be active nearly all of the time to keep up to date and broadcast information to other full nodes, so therefore many users just run a lightweight node, which is where a third party basically keeps the copy of the blockchain for you but you control your private keys and therefore still properly own the Bitcoin.
There is no such thing as a lightweight node. Those are light wallets, also known as SPV wallets.

Who runs these "master" chain servers and how do you run one ?  
There is no such thing. You can start up your own node and start downloading data from everyone else whenever you want to. It is a permissions system.

Is this what would be a "fully synchronized wallet" and wouldn't a fully synced wallet weight 1 TB in 10 years, so only few people can practically store these.
1 TB HDD costs <$100 now. Why would this cause only a "few people" to be able to purchase 1 TB every 10 years?

I think it..
-snip-
Qartada, I recommend that you do not respond to questions in this section where you have to respond with "I think".

2.  Lets say you receive a transaction to your address while your "wallet is offline". When you connect your wallet, does it find out immediately its balance or you have to run a full wallet synchronization before it will know how much coins it has got ?
Full wallets do not know your balance. How would they? They don't have access to the latest transactions nor blocks when they are not synchronized. In case that you want to immediately find out whether there is an incoming TX you can use any online blockchain explorer (e.g. https://www.blocktrail.com/BTC).

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: