Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 12:38:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: RX 480 no HW readings after bios mod  (Read 750 times)
Jamievs (OP)

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 13, 2017, 09:11:56 PM

Hi all,

I have a strange issue and google came up with nothing. With Polaris Bios Editor I copied the timing of 1750 to 2000 value. The good news is the cards are actually mining faster. The bad (or odd) news is that Sapphire Trixx / MSI afterburner / watttool all show empty readings on Core Clock, Mem clock and temp. Fan speed / power draw are visibible. Anyone any clue how that is remotely possible? this used to work before. I however did downgrade my drivers to 16.9.2 to bypass the signature check.  

What did I do wrong? I didnt alter anything else in the bios  Huh
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
fanta21

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 13, 2017, 10:11:26 PM

Hi all,

I have a strange issue and google came up with nothing. With Polaris Bios Editor I copied the timing of 1750 to 2000 value. The good news is the cards are actually mining faster. The bad (or odd) news is that Sapphire Trixx / MSI afterburner / watttool all show empty readings on Core Clock, Mem clock and temp. Fan speed / power draw are visibible. Anyone any clue how that is remotely possible? this used to work before. I however did downgrade my drivers to 16.9.2 to bypass the signature check. 

What did I do wrong? I didnt alter anything else in the bios  Huh

That means the tools can't communicate with the driver or the driver is not working. Clean up the current driver using DDU in the safe mode then reinstall it.

DDU link: http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
GabryRox

Activity: 600
Merit: 261

View Profile
April 14, 2017, 01:08:00 AM

Yeah, this happened to me recently as well... in addition to what that reply above suggests, you can try the following, which worked for me:

- uninstall the AMD drivers through the Add/Remove programs
- re-install the drivers again

After doing this, the GPUs were recognized in device manager and the values showed up again in Watt Tool.

Another thing to watch out for is that there are apparently a 1 or more versions of AMD drivers that don't play will with that strap-1500 or 1750 bios mod.  On my last build, i simply couldn't get my first 2 modded GPUs to work, despite what I thought was checking everything.  Then i re-checked the driver version i had on my other rigs and found that it I was running 16.40 but it was 16.30 on the problem rig.  The version # thing can be confusing but I'm talking about the long digit version that shows up in the software section of the settings area in the AMD software. Once I got 16.40 it ran like a charm.

One other thing... you mention copying to 1750 timing to 2000. I assume this is a GPU with Samsung memory?  If it's Hynix, the correct procedure is to copy from 1500 upwards.
Jamievs (OP)

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 14, 2017, 06:38:49 AM

That means the tools can't communicate with the driver or the driver is not working. Clean up the current driver using DDU in the safe mode then reinstall it.

DDU link: http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

It's odd. I did use DDU to remove the latest drivers before installing the older ones. On my second PC it worked like a charm (same GPU's) and I do get the hardware readings. But for sure will try because this is kinda frustrating.

@GabryRox: Thanks for the tips. Weird thing is I can mine with them, I can see them in GPU-Z etc etc. Indeed I do have samsung memory on them. Will try the re-install with 16.40 version.
phila

Activity: 30

View Profile
April 14, 2017, 01:41:22 PM

Can anyone say if modding the bios (to copy memory straps) breaks crossfire? I dont have a crossfire option to enable crossfire in Radeon settings no matter the driver version?
Emoclaw

Activity: 420
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 14, 2017, 01:45:20 PM

Can anyone say if modding the bios (to copy memory straps) breaks crossfire? I dont have a crossfire option to enable crossfire in Radeon settings no matter the driver version?
Theoretically crossfire should be working. Do both cards have the same BIOS?
phila

Activity: 30

View Profile
April 14, 2017, 02:36:50 PM

Hi, yes both of them are exactly the same Powercolor Red Devil RX480's, the crossfire option was always missing. I saved their own bios's modded them individually with memory straps from 1650 (1500 causes color pixels on screen) and re flashed and still no crossfire available.  Re flashed to default bios still no crossfire.  What I still want to try is re flash to default bios again uninstall and install driver without using  atikmdag-patcher.exe.  Just hoped someone might know for sure if it's because of either using a custom bios or the patcher before I go through all the trouble again.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: