Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 02:17:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A New Indicator  (Read 1456 times)
Kazu (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 12:45:54 AM

Look at that. Every single time the price goes above the mining power on this chart, a correction happens. Every single time we are below the mining power on this chart, we head down to the dotted line and bounce back up to the mining power. According to this, we "should" be at $260 right now as a high and $40 right now as a low. Okay, I know thats sort of a ridiculous range, but still.

Thinking about this logically, this makes sense. The computing power behind Bitcoin is what makes the transactions secure. Could this mean that ASICs could yield increased volatility for a period until the floor has a chance to catch up?

CoinLenders - Bitcoin Bank Script / Demo
1v.io/kazu - 15ccW7m6RxDFWEKc3P1NdwWpX1N1pU7gZ8
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ruski

Activity: 350

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 12:51:47 AM

Very interesting, I haven't seen this chart before. Seems to be positive for the long term.

According to this, though, once ASICs hit the market, the price is going to tank while the difficulty skyrockets, breaking your chart. Would that be right?

Kazu (OP)

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 12:55:55 AM

Really random prediction, but I predict that the mining power forms a wedge around 10.  If that wedge breaks to the upside, that could potentially be more bullish than any price wedge since miners are what ultimately give bitcoin its value.

GameKyuubi

Activity: 253
Merit: 1413

DTCxNMC

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 01:30:18 AM

So.. What's the dotted line?

BTC: 15SLrNo6PKVfsH5JLtatJcVkSQXCk1LXyq
full stack Node
BitPirate

Activity: 238

RMBTB.com: The secure BTC:CNY exchange. 0% fee!

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 01:38:22 AM

The two axes have completely different units. They cross simply because they are plotted that way. Nothing more, nothing less.

computerlamp

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 01:46:51 AM

"since miners are what ultimately give bitcoin its value."

False, belief that you can use them later for goods and services is what gives it its value.
ManBearPig

Merit: 250

"Don't go in the trollbox, trollbox, trollbox"

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2013, 01:47:52 AM

You're mistaking correlation for causation. They are both on similar upward angles but BTC corrects for other reasons.

I tweet crypto nonsense: https://twitter.com/DunningKruger_
Kazu (OP)

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 02:07:22 AM

False, belief that you can use them later for goods and services is what gives it its value.
And you can only use them for goods and services if there is someone there making the transaction work, i.e, miners.

You're mistaking correlation for causation. They are both on similar upward angles but BTC corrects for other reasons.

It corrects for other reasons, but too far up will cause either (A) all the miners to start selling everything they get driving the price down or (B) people to begin to worry about such a vast amount of money being secured only by the "limited amount of miners." The fact of the matter is that a higher difficulty and more miners removes a huge downward pressure on Bitcoin.

computerlamp

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 02:45:15 AM

And you can only use them for goods and services if there is someone there making the transaction work, i.e, miners.

That's how translations are processed but that isn't what makes a bitcoin valuable.

Sure an increase in difficulty makes it harder for an attacker so people may have more faith that their bitcoins will still be able to purchase goods and services in the future.
Le Happy Merchant

Activity: 634
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 02:57:22 AM

According to this, though, once ASICs hit the market, the price is going to tank while the difficulty skyrockets, breaking your chart. Would that be right?

Explain your reasoning. Why will ASICs tank the price?

ruski

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 03:11:48 AM

I don't believe they will, that's just what this chart seems to predict, which also breaks its reliability as a lagging indicator of price.

notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 03:14:44 AM

So.. What's the dotted line?

It's a log chart, and it's a straight line roughly through the price.  I'd guess it's a simple exponential fit of price data.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Le Happy Merchant

Activity: 634
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 03:47:04 AM

I don't believe they will, that's just what this chart seems to predict, which also breaks its reliability as a lagging indicator of price.

In what way does this chart predict that?

Kazu (OP)

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 03:51:01 AM

No it doesn't, it predicts the exact opposite.

Difficulty -> UP so Mining Factor -> Down so in order for mining factor to re-equalize price would need to go up.

Or, on the top chart, total hashing power goes up so higher ceiling for price.

ironstove

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

Possibilities are limitless

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 04:13:22 AM

the relationship is opposite, as price goes up difficulty goes up with it, difficulty doesn't drive price.

if anything miners have more of an incentive to hold and mine more if price is driving up.

this also doesn't explain the other crashes that occurred in between the 2 large ones.
Kazu (OP)

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 04:38:21 AM

the relationship is opposite, as price goes up difficulty goes up with it, difficulty doesn't drive price.

if anything miners have more of an incentive to hold and mine more if price is driving up.

this also doesn't explain the other crashes that occurred in between the 2 large ones.
It doesn't predict 100% of graphs, but it predicts some graphs with (at least using historical data) 100% accuracy.

I have no idea what you are trying to say in the latter part.

TimJBenham

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 04:44:09 AM

The two axes have completely different units. They cross simply because they are plotted that way. Nothing more, nothing less.

Good and obvious point that bears repetition.

You are a warlord in the outskirts of the known world struggling to establish a kingdom in the wild lands.
Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 04:59:47 AM

Good and obvious point that bears repetition.

+1
lebing
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000

Enabling the maximal migration

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 08:50:27 AM

This.

Bro, do you even blockchain?
-E Voorhees
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: