Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 09:57:53 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Multiple wallets?  (Read 1407 times)
favelle75 (OP)

Activity: 910
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 12:55:47 AM

Can you have more than one wallet?  I want to also set up my HTPC to GPU-mine and was thinking of using another pool to compare productivity, can I use a different wallet for that machine?

_Crypto made easier than cash_

▄███▄              ▄███▄
███████            ███████
███████   ▄████▄   ███████
███████  ████████  ███████
▄██████████  ████████  ██████████▄
████████████  ████████  ████████████
▀██████████  ████████  ██████████▀
▀███▀   ████████   ▀███▀
████████
▀████▀
MenaPay.
ANN THREAD
__
kmarinas86

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2013, 12:57:41 AM

Can you have more than one wallet?  I want to also set up my HTPC to GPU-mine and was thinking of using another pool to compare productivity, can I use a different wallet for that machine?

Yes you can.

https://multibit.org/
https://bitcoinarmory.com/
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4672

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 12:59:03 AM

Can you have more than one wallet?

Certainly. I have several.

You can also have more than one address per wallet.

I want to also set up my HTPC to GPU-mine and was thinking of using another pool to compare productivity, can I use a different wallet for that machine?

Yes.
im_riley

Activity: 18

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 01:36:49 AM

If you add both pc's in an account on a mining pool you'll be able to see the difference pretty quickly.
favelle75 (OP)

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 02:03:06 AM

Cool, thanks for the info guys!

▄███▄              ▄███▄
▀███▀   ████████   ▀███▀
████████
▀████▀
MenaPay.
ANN THREAD
__
favelle75 (OP)

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 04:42:24 AM

Another thought,...if I use the same pool, I don't necessarily even need to download a wallet onto each mining machine, do I? As long as one machine has the wallet, I can transfer the coins to it.  Right?

▄███▄              ▄███▄
▀███▀   ████████   ▀███▀
████████
▀████▀
MenaPay.
ANN THREAD
__
MultipliedCombo

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2013, 04:51:57 AM

Yep, you sure can.

cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 06:27:16 AM

You could create one address for each pool and keep them all in one wallet.  Or you could make one wallet for each pool.  Or just have one address to receive all your funds and use the pool's account page to view how much you've made from each.  (much easier)

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
timmmmay

Activity: 11

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 06:52:37 AM

Yes you can specify on the command line the location of your wallet.dat

i've never done this before though

make backups first!
favelle75 (OP)

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 08:31:23 AM

Yeah, this seems the easiest.  Each pool has its own website, leave the coins there until they are 0.5, then just have it auto-transfer when it hits that.  No need for each machine to have a wallet.

How often do we back up the wallet? I've just been doing it after each transaction, is that enough?

▄███▄              ▄███▄
▀███▀   ████████   ▀███▀
████████
▀████▀
MenaPay.
ANN THREAD
__
Chrithu

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 08:39:34 AM

How often do we back up the wallet? I've just been doing it after each transaction, is that enough?

I'm doing it at the same rate. Just have a question? What do I do with that backup? I mean how do I restore a wallet from that backup? There seems to be no option to do that in the bitcoin-qt client.

favelle75 (OP)

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 09:34:27 AM

I'm doing it at the same rate. Just have a question? What do I do with that backup? I mean how do I restore a wallet from that backup? There seems to be no option to do that in the bitcoin-qt client.

Yeah, I wonder as well. I don't see a back-up function within he bt client anywhere.

▄███▄              ▄███▄
▀███▀   ████████   ▀███▀
████████
▀████▀
MenaPay.
ANN THREAD
__
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 03:29:07 PM

- snip -

The backup contains the next 100 addresses that you will use.  The wallet uses one of those 100 addresses every time you click the "New Address" button in the "Receive Coins" section.  In addition the wallet uses one of those 100 addresses every time you create a transaction with Bitcoin-Qt to send any bitcoins anywhere.

As long as you have at least one good backup that was created within the last 100 addresses used, you'll be able to recover all the bitcoins in your entire wallet from the backup.

How often this needs to be depends on how often you create new addresses, and how often you send bitcoins.

Once a month is enough for many people.  Some people should be doing it every week.  If you play a lot of SatoshiDice, you might want to be backing up every day (or more often).

It's a good idea to be backing up more often than necessary, that way you have multiple good backups in case a backup itself is damaged, lost, or unusable.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 03:37:39 PM

- snip -
I mean how do I restore a wallet from that backup? There seems to be no option to do that in the bitcoin-qt client.

The Bitcoin-Qt wallet isn't very well designed for users.  It requires at least a bit of technical knowledge to use it safely, and even more technical knowledge for anything more than receiving and sending transactions.

As an example, there is no "Restore from backup" option built into the wallet.  Instead you have to be aware of where the wallet happens to store the wallet.dat file on your particular operating system and then place your backup file in that location.  You should make sure that Bitcoin-Qt is not running when you replace that file with the backup file, and you should be certain that there is nothing in the current wallet.dat file that you want/need to keep.  When you start up the wallet, it will use whatever wallet.dat file happens to be in that directory.

Depending on your technical skills, you may want to look into some of the lightweight wallets such as Electrum, MultiBit, and https://blockchain.info/wallet

Note that every bitcoin wallet that currently exists has its own "quirks" and unexpected behaviors.  They all have need of some improvement before they can be considered 100% ready for an average non-technical user. 
favelle75 (OP)

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 04:27:07 PM

So all we have to do is replace the .dat with the backup and we're good to go?  Much like replacing a cracked dll file?

▄███▄              ▄███▄
▀███▀   ████████   ▀███▀
████████
▀████▀
MenaPay.
ANN THREAD
__
cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 06:15:27 PM

Yes, but it's more like replacing a word document with the backup.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
henkjan78

Activity: 1

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 07:19:27 PM

Store the backup of the wallet.dat in a TrueCrypt container with a very long password and safe it somewhere online. (dropbox, google drive)
Then you don't have a problem when your computer crashes  Smiley
zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 08:46:54 PM

it's not only possible, but also recommended
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 08:47:40 PM

it's not only possible, but also recommended

Recommended?  By who?  Why?
btccontractor

Activity: 16

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 08:51:29 PM

Say I wanted to set away 1BTC for my daughter (when she's born), and then give it to her years later.

What's the best way to store the wallet securely for long periods of time? Was thinking something like encrypted cloud backups + hard copy somewhere, with the encryption secret off in a couple of safety deposit boxes, but all of that's probably overkill for a small balance.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: