Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 05:43:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 60,000 Unconfirmed transaction and counting  (Read 4245 times)
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
April 15, 2017, 03:49:14 PM

Things are definitely better then It was yesterday, I have a question though, If this is indeed a spam attack, anybody could do it? or this require money and resources to do? curious how It's done but If it require money, I believe big whales are behind it.

i am no expert but some things (i think) are obvious. for example the transactions need to be paying higher fees or they would be useless. so each paying 200-300 satoshi per byte.

only useless to real user.   spammer doesnt need to pay anywhere near that cost.  they can put absolute minimum that would be relayed whatever that is (no fee?) im not sure

if there are 1 million transactions paying 10 satoshi per byte i pay 20 satoshi per byte and i will have priority over all of the 1 million spam transctions so miners will pick my tx.

they spam to take the space in the block (fill it up) not to take the space in the memory pool. and to take the block you need to have higher priority hence the higher fee.

you are partially right..but

a)  they can still bid very low and cause problems
b) it contributes to high fees for everyone else
c) the fuller the blocks are naturally, the less extra space there is , so cheaper to spam (this is why bigger blocks will help fight spam)

BrewMaster
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1292

There is trouble abrewing

View Profile
April 15, 2017, 03:53:53 PM
Last edit: April 15, 2017, 04:08:42 PM by BrewMaster

-snip-
You would think, but not so.

Bitfury still fill blocks with low fee spam from addy 3QQB6AWxaga6wTs6Xwq8FYppgrGinGu15f before higher fee paying real tx's.
See for example https://blockchain.info/block-index/1477998

Addy https://blockchain.info/address/3QQB6AWxaga6wTs6Xwq8FYppgrGinGu15f has sent 140238tx's, all spam, nearly all relayed by Bitfury.

yes i have seen those before but for every one of these low fee spams there are so much more with higher fees.
and bitfury only finds 11% of the blocks nothing more. so that would be practically ineffective because other miners reject them.

c) the fuller the blocks are naturally, the less extra space there is , so cheaper to spam (this is why bigger blocks will help fight spam)
i find this statement contradictory.
cheaper to spam means easier to make more transactions.

and how much bigger blocks are we talking about!
1.2 MB 1.5 or 2 or 10 MB or 20
are nodes and miners really ready for that size. i don't think so.

There is a FOMO brewing...
rizzlarolla

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 15, 2017, 04:11:00 PM

-snip-

Bitfury still fill blocks with low fee spam from addy 3QQB6AWxaga6wTs6Xwq8FYppgrGinGu15f before higher fee paying real tx's.

Addy https://blockchain.info/address/3QQB6AWxaga6wTs6Xwq8FYppgrGinGu15f has sent 140238tx's, all spam, nearly all relayed by Bitfury.

yes i have seen those before but for every one of these low fee spams there are so much more with higher fees.
and bitfury only finds 11% of the blocks nothing more. so that would be practically ineffective because other miners reject them.

But for every one of these low fee tx's (sending nothing exept a fee) included in a Bitfury block, another higher paying fee is not included, meaning fees rise further. 140,000 tx's from 1 addy, sending nothing except low fee, have been included in Bitfury blocks, while "recommended fee" paying tx's (6x higher fee or more) are left in the mempool.

140,000 tx's at 386 bytes equals around 5.5 blocks created by 1 addy, mined by Bitfury, sending 0 btc.
Can't be helping anything.

BrewMaster
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1292

There is trouble abrewing

View Profile
April 15, 2017, 04:27:14 PM

-snip-

But for every one of these low fee tx's (sending nothing exept a fee) included in a Bitfury block, another higher paying fee is not included, meaning fees rise further. 140,000 tx's from 1 addy, sending nothing except low fee, have been included in Bitfury blocks, while "recommended fee" paying tx's (6x higher fee or more) are left in the mempool.

140,000 tx's at 386 bytes equals around 5.5 blocks created by 1 addy, mined by Bitfury, sending 0 btc.

since you brought this up i went through it and i encountered this:
https://blockchain.info/block-index/1486455 (mined by AntPool)
Ctrl+F the address it contains 252 of these transactions and it seems like bitfury is not the only miner picking these up after all!

p.s. the block was mined during the spam attack while mempool was full (2017-04-15 11:09:19)

There is a FOMO brewing...
rizzlarolla

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 15, 2017, 05:19:34 PM

-snip-

since you brought this up i went through it and i encountered this:
https://blockchain.info/block-index/1486455 (mined by AntPool)
Ctrl+F the address it contains 252 of these transactions and it seems like bitfury is not the only miner picking these up after all!

p.s. the block was mined during the spam attack while mempool was full (2017-04-15 11:09:19)

You did not "go through it" very far though(?), or you would see that only a tiny fraction have been mined by other pools.
Some Bitfury blocks include around a thousand of these tx's.

p.s. the block i linked was also mined at the peak of mempool backlog.

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
April 15, 2017, 05:44:47 PM

i find this statement contradictory.
cheaper to spam means easier to make more transactions.

Lets say that naturally blocks would be 800kb.  If you only have 200kb free per block, and a transaction is say, 200bytes,
thats 1000 transactions.  Let's say people don't really want to pay more than $1 (they can use paypal or another coin),
that is going to cost $1000.

But if you have lets say 8mb blocks, and 7mb are free , thats 35,000 transactions.  So even if transactions are only 5 cents,
it still costs more ($1750).  

Obviously that's just one possible comparison but the more full blocks get the cheaper it gets to spam, that is the principle here.

SamMurphy

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

Bitcoin unionhead who's neglecting fiat :)

View Profile
April 15, 2017, 06:34:28 PM

Yesterday I was transact some money and I have no problem :/ I have no idea there were so many unconfirmed transaction until now. And yes, of course we need bigger blocks because more and more people are using btc and that will be more and more difficult to make a transaction, I hope this problem will be solved soon, especial now, Easter.
The One
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 15, 2017, 07:01:37 PM

Things are definitely better then It was yesterday, I have a question though, If this is indeed a spam attack, anybody could do it? or this require money and resources to do? curious how It's done but If it require money, I believe big whales are behind it.

i am no expert but some things (i think) are obvious. for example the transactions need to be paying higher fees or they would be useless. so each paying 200-300 satoshi per byte.

only useless to real user.   spammer doesnt need to pay anywhere near that cost.  they can put absolute minimum that would be relayed whatever that is (no fee?) im not sure

if there are 1 million transactions paying 10 satoshi per byte i pay 20 satoshi per byte and i will have priority over all of the 1 million spam transctions so miners will pick my tx.

they spam to take the space in the block (fill it up) not to take the space in the memory pool. and to take the block you need to have higher priority hence the higher fee.

3QQB6AWxaga6wTs6Xwq8FYppgrGinGu15f paying to 3QQB6AWxaga6wTs6Xwq8FYppgrGinGu15f - Bitfury did the spamming?

..C..
........What is C?.........
...........ICO            Dec 1st – Dec 30th............
       ............Open            Dec 1st- Dec 30th............
...................ANN thread      Bounty....................

andron8383

Activity: 333
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 15, 2017, 07:07:14 PM

Yesterday I was transact some money and I have no problem :/ I have no idea there were so many unconfirmed transaction until now. And yes, of course we need bigger blocks because more and more people are using btc and that will be more and more difficult to make a transaction, I hope this problem will be solved soon, especial now, Easter.

ETH probably spamming to promote their awesome blockchain  mean time in BTC idiots are fighting Segwit/notSegwit.
1MB block no limit. ***
When BTC spammed ETH blockchain they forked 2x in 3weeks... Problem solved.
And this is main difference between those coins BTC can be played like children in kindergarden.
OliynyK

Activity: 149
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 16, 2017, 12:00:09 AM

We need bigger blocks... lets all just run le BU
Hahahaha oh ya but then we'll also have unlimited bitcoins and they're going to be worthless. That sounds great let's all jump on board.
I know it is not a proper solution ,if there is a split then unlimited bitcoins will be worthless and how about the price of bitcoin unlimited futures started by some exchanges basically Bitfinex and HitBTC, did they create some dumb contracts and how about people speculating about that.
Alex.BTC

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 16, 2017, 12:22:02 AM

3QQB6AWxaga6wTs6Xwq8FYppgrGinGu15f paying to 3QQB6AWxaga6wTs6Xwq8FYppgrGinGu15f - Bitfury did the spamming?

That's interesting, can we confirm that by far Bitfury is the only pool picking these up?
As if Bitfury wants to collect their spam fee back.

Note that Bitfury and Blockstream share the same investors, some interesting links:
Investors in BitFury Group also invested in Blockstream
A Look at DCG & Bitfury's Incestuous Ties With the U.S. Government
mr.mister

Activity: 299
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 16, 2017, 12:42:02 AM

Time to kill this thread. Unconfirmed transactions down to 6700.

Bitcoin Cash (BCASH) is NOT the real Bitcoin
aomakun

Activity: 1020
Merit: 253

JangaCams.com

View Profile
April 16, 2017, 01:30:35 AM

What exactly is going on here?: https://blockchain.info/unconfirmed-transactions Is it possible that It's some kind of attack from miners to make people think that we need Bitcoin unlimited? Hash rate is no longer being displayed on the first page for some reasons so I can't tell exactly.
naturally a lot of unconfirmed transaction because every day bitcoin users then increases.

█████████████████████████████
███████████████████████  ████
████████████████████▀▀  ▀████
███████████████▀▀   ▄▄███████
███▀  ▀██████     ▐██████████
██     █████▌       ▀████████
██      ▀▀███    ▐█▄  ▀██████
██               ▐███▄▄  ▀███
██▄  ▀▀▄▄▄▄     ▄███████ ▄  █
██████▄▄▄████████████████████

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
FREE CHAT

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
cpfreeplz
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1042

View Profile
April 16, 2017, 01:45:41 AM

What exactly is going on here?: https://blockchain.info/unconfirmed-transactions Is it possible that It's some kind of attack from miners to make people think that we need Bitcoin unlimited? Hash rate is no longer being displayed on the first page for some reasons so I can't tell exactly.
naturally a lot of unconfirmed transaction because every day bitcoin users then increases.

That's not what the problem is. The problem is that blocks aren't big enough and people are spamming them so that something will actually be done about it. There's an agenda behind their spamming and that's what this is a discussion about.
RoommateAgreement

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

Bazinga!

View Profile
April 16, 2017, 03:30:37 AM

ETH probably spamming to promote their awesome blockchain  mean time in BTC idiots are fighting Segwit/notSegwit.
1MB block no limit. ***
And this is main difference between those coins BTC can be played like children in kindergarden.

well that is the clear difference between a complete decentralized system without any centralized authority to decide whether actiate segwit/nosegwit or anything else.

and a centralized system called ethereum which is performing like a bank and the decisions are made by that centralzied authority without heeding what the rest of the users say.

Buying the dip...
cryptoanarchist
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 16, 2017, 03:37:24 AM

only useless to real user.   spammer doesnt need to pay anywhere near that cost.  they can put absolute minimum that would be relayed whatever that is (no fee?) im not sure

Very interesting find considering BitFury is the biggest nuthugger of Core/Blockstream/SegWit. Could they be getting big money from the same banks that are funding blockstream to spam the network?

I'm grumpy!!
lottery248
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1005

beware of your keys.

View Profile
April 16, 2017, 03:52:14 AM

1MB block no limit. ***

is that the reason bitcoin having so many unconfirmed transactions, to force people to use ETH? which means bitcoin unlimited and/or SegWit have nothing to do so? Huh wow ETH is a troll towards bitcoin for this.

out of ability to use the signature, i want a new ban strike policy that will fade the strike after 90~120 days of the ban and not to be traced back, like google | email me for anything urgent, message will possibly not be instantly responded
i am not really active for some reason
chixka000

Activity: 910
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 16, 2017, 04:09:35 AM

Honestly, I am starting to hate this kind of situation. I am clearly seeing an abuse here but i cant do anything about it. Because of the slow confirmation must of the online wallets now are offering higher fees(effect would be we can sent micro payments) so f*ck those miners who are doing this act
The One
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 16, 2017, 04:25:08 AM

That's interesting, can we confirm that by far Bitfury is the only pool picking these up?
As if Bitfury wants to collect their spam fee back.

Note that Bitfury and Blockstream share the same investors, some interesting links:
Investors in BitFury Group also invested in Blockstream
A Look at DCG & Bitfury's Incestuous Ties With the U.S. Government

I was thinking that Bitfury are spamming on purpose. Why else is the output and input address the same and collected by Bitfury?

..C..
........What is C?.........
...........ICO            Dec 1st – Dec 30th............
       ............Open            Dec 1st- Dec 30th............
...................ANN thread      Bounty....................

pooya87
Legendary

Activity: 3458
Merit: 10572

View Profile
April 16, 2017, 04:30:05 AM

i don't know how i've missed this before (it was mentioned to me before too!). anyways thanks, i have added this to the list of all spam attacks in my topic:
Mother of all spam attacks on bitcoin network! proof?

.BLACKJACK ♠ FUN.
█████████
██████████████
████████████
█████████████████
████████████████▄▄
░█████████████▀░▀▀
██████████████████
░██████████████
████████████████
░██████████████
████████████