Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 08:26:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Paypal really fckn me  (Read 1128 times)
ooeygooeygold (OP)

Activity: 465
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 01:28:05 AM

So a little over a month ago I was selling bitcoins on ebay and having a positive experience. Well that ended quickly as for reasons most of you already know about dealing with paypal and ebay. Well I have sold about 20-30 bitcoins on ebay  only till i started dealing with 5 bitcoins or more is when paypal stopped me. Pretty much saying to themselves wow this guy is making good money lets freeze it. So finally my time came and someone bought 4 bitcoins for $300 each (when bitcoins were over 200) and this women paid me and I paid her. We both left positive feedback and paypal froze the funds claiming fraud. The women had over 100 feedback and was a regular ebayer the last time she purchased something was less then a week before. I emailed her asking what was going on and if she could email paypal for me. She posted her blockchain address in paypal and I sent them screenshots of my blockchain transaction log and her leaving me positive feedback. Today paypal sent me an email saying they sent her the funds back. Well.....now what to do? I found her on facebook by matching the name and address. I'm thinking about sending all her friends and family about the scam she pulled on me with screenshoots. Does anyone have any better ideas for me?
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 01:30:49 AM

Cut your losses and run. There's nothing you can do.

ooeygooeygold (OP)

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 01:32:58 AM

send a msg to all her friends and family with paypal transaction screenshots
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 01:34:37 AM

That's more likely to get you thrown in jail than anything. Besides, you can't prove that she was the one who made the transaction.

Lethos

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Keep it Simple. Every Bit Matters.

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2013, 01:42:09 AM

This is why every time someone mentions btc and paypal in the same sentence, so many here will just say "no".

This happens eventually, you apparently had a longer string of success than most with paypal and btc.

Yes you got screwed, but their is a good reason why it's strongly suggested not to do this (sell btc via paypal), you will get burnt eventually and they will side with the scammer 90% of the time when it concerns bitcoins.

If you want to act on what happened, report to the police, but don't resort to a vigilante style justice, it will get you potentially in trouble.
It is unlikely anything will come from it if I'm honest, so you should assume it's gone.

In future use the exchanges (or localbitcoin), as I'm not sure where you are based.

Bitmunitions

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2013, 01:49:16 AM

That's more likely to get you thrown in jail than anything. Besides, you can't prove that she was the one who made the transaction.

I highly doubt something of that extent could get anyone thrown in jail as the screenshots make it effectively factual and not slander. However, it seems like it is not the woman's fault as much as it is Paypal's.

Be wary accepting any deals with Bitcoin + Paypal. Bitcoin is designed to be non-retractable and Paypal is designed to allow people to dispute payments up to 45 days after transaction.

OP: You might just have to accept this unfortunate event as a loss.
arobinson

Activity: 28

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 01:51:26 AM

So a little over a month ago I was selling bitcoins on ebay and having a positive experience. Well that ended quickly as for reasons most of you already know about dealing with paypal and ebay. Well I have sold about 20-30 bitcoins on ebay  only till i started dealing with 5 bitcoins or more is when paypal stopped me. Pretty much saying to themselves wow this guy is making good money lets freeze it. So finally my time came and someone bought 4 bitcoins for $300 each (when bitcoins were over 200) and this women paid me and I paid her. We both left positive feedback and paypal froze the funds claiming fraud. The women had over 100 feedback and was a regular ebayer the last time she purchased something was less then a week before. I emailed her asking what was going on and if she could email paypal for me. She posted her blockchain address in paypal and I sent them screenshots of my blockchain transaction log and her leaving me positive feedback. Today paypal sent me an email saying they sent her the funds back. Well.....now what to do? I found her on facebook by matching the name and address. I'm thinking about sending all her friends and family about the scam she pulled on me with screenshoots. Does anyone have any better ideas for me?

Seems like embarrassing her to her family would be fitting. Just make sure not to cross the harassment line.  Leave out unnecessary comments out of anger. it will only turn them completely against you. Just provide a detailed message including all proof and interactions you've have with her.

If she is a regular on ebay then she has discussed it with her family I would assume so when you tell them how she scammed you they will know something is up. Good luck hope she helps you out.
ooeygooeygold (OP)

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 01:59:17 AM
Last edit: April 25, 2013, 03:05:02 AM by ooeygooeygold

I highly doubt something of that extent could get anyone thrown in jail as the screenshots make it effectively factual and not slander. However, it seems like it is not the woman's fault as much as it is Paypal's.

Be wary accepting any deals with Bitcoin + Paypal. Bitcoin is designed to be non-retractable and Paypal is designed to allow people to dispute payments up to 45 days after transaction.

OP: You might just have to accept this unfortunate event as a loss.

Yea I just sent her one more email before I'm ready to message (not harass anyone)  all her friends/family I just want to explain my story to them I hope it really comes back and bites her in the ass

Heres the last email I'm sending:
Hello,
Paypal has refunded you for the bitcoins that I sent you will you please refund me. It really sucks being scammed. Please be a good person and send back my money or bitcoins. Good karma will come and vice-revisa. Please don't let this scam happen. It is really bad feeling to be scammed and I wish it upon no one.
Thank you,
-Michael
CryptoTrader

Activity: 14

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 02:11:46 AM

Drop Paypal, much better options out there. Paypal is now considering utilizing BTC, the only reason is they have to, they have to be inventive now before they go down the crapper...
WuLabsWuTecH

Activity: 252

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 02:15:16 AM

Are you sure she is scamming you?  It sounds like it just happened and perhaps she doesn't realize that PalPay refunded her money.  Both of you guys were doing things against PayPal's TOS so it wouldn't surprise me that they investigated, found out that you were doing something against the TOS, and then voided the transaction.  No where in your post did you state the PayPal initiated a chargeback, just that they froze your account which is ringing "investigation" rather than "chargeback."  For a chargeback, the account does not get frozen.
turdhole

Activity: 21

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 02:21:57 AM

sucks man, paypal and ebay are horrible. one owns the other, they got you coming and going
ReCat

Activity: 406

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2013, 02:24:15 AM

Stalk her and murder her I mean forgive her and move on with your life.

Tongue

BTC: 1recatirpHBjR9sxgabB3RDtM6TgntYUW
Hold onto what you love with all your might, Because you can never know when - Oh. What you love is now gone.
MoogleMuffins

Activity: 7

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 03:07:27 AM

On a vaguely related note, I heard a rumor paypal is considering adding bitcoin to their payment processing.  Paypal <-> bitcoin would be a lot better in that scenario.
turdhole

Activity: 21

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 03:13:51 AM

on an unrelated note coinstar machines are going to be able to add your change to your paypal account for an exuberant fee, start picking up those pennies on the ground
sanga

Activity: 14

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 03:54:46 AM

You did the right thing sending her the email.  Now, trust divine justice, karma will take care of it all.  She will lose what she got, or had lost it in the past and get it back.  What you apparently "lost" will get back to you in one way or another, if it didn't already have.  Nothing for nothing, that's THE law.

Fighting over it will hurt you more than it will hurt her.
nebulus

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

... it only gets better...

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 03:58:27 AM

Live and learn.

thesilverstarman

Activity: 9

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 04:09:28 AM

Paypal considers selling bitcoins to be currency trading which is prohibited in their terms and conditions. Google paypal and bitcoin and you will see that have been reversing a lot of these. I would say its paypal, not the seller. You could also open up a dispute in ebay for non payment seeing as the paypal has been refunded.
SmokeyJR

Activity: 12

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 05:22:04 AM

yeah, that's sad, I would post that story elsewhere, get the word out -paypal sucks
Jackin Jill

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

Don't try to look tough Dollface

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 05:50:30 AM

Wow, I'm starting to think that most of you are not only noobs in here but noobs on the interwebs as well.

First and foremost, Paypal/eBay will only protect you if you can prove you delivered the items and they want you to use tracking. So unless you made physical bitcoins, like a paperwallet, and delivered them with tracking, then you're SOL.

Secondly, the person who posted that Paypal could soon be accepting bitcoins, is absurd. Paypal had to pay a large fee to the US Gov to get a special license to exchange money. This is exactly what could stop bitcoin in the future. It violates US patent laws. I will not get into it here, but for crying out loud, do more with Google than look for nude teens.
Bitcoin is in direct violation of international trade laws and would first need to be deemed a currency, then have the long process to lay down the patent laws.

And most of all. Bitcoin would destroy paypal. Why on earth would ebay/paypal allow it to be traded or used? Unless it's making a profit from it. So it will allow it to be traded on ebay. But there's no traceable way for paypal to protect you. You got screwed by the buyer. Not paypal. Life sucks. Go cry to mommy. You should have done your homework.
stevenh512

Activity: 137

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 06:07:34 AM

On a vaguely related note, I heard a rumor paypal is considering adding bitcoin to their payment processing.  Paypal <-> bitcoin would be a lot better in that scenario.

I doubt it. In my experience (I've been through this many times, and never for an actual TOS violation), PayPal will always eventually find some reason to freeze your account. They usually refuse to even tell you the reason because it would reveal their "anti-fraud" system. I've always thought that excuse invites more fraud than it prevents, especially with all the horror stories about PayPal arbitrarily freezing accounts. If you get caught shoplifting, does the store refuse to show the video because it would reveal the location of one or more of their cameras (their "anti-theft" system)?

If PayPal starts accepting Bitcoin, I guarantee you'll have to add funds to your wallet on their server (just as you do with dollars/euros/etc now) before spending them through PayPal. That just means PayPal now has a way to freeze and/or steal your Bitcoins along with your government money.

This signature intentionally left blank.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: