Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 10:31:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Needed bitcoin software?  (Read 3685 times)
X0nic (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 21, 2010, 07:40:44 AM

Hi guys, I have been trying to think of useful software for bitcoin users. I am currently working on a site that will notify you, if the price of bitcon goes above or below a value that you choose. Its something that I wish existed but doesn't, and I figured that I wouldn't be the only one that wanted something like that.

Can anyone think of software other that doesn't exist that you wish did?

Cheers!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
S3052
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 21, 2010, 08:10:29 AM

great idea.
what is also missing is stop buy / loss ordering, trailing stops, etc (this is related to your idea above but would need to be implemented in the exchanges)

RHorning

Activity: 224
Merit: 141

View Profile
November 21, 2010, 01:54:37 PM

Do any of the exchanges have RSS feeds of their trade data?  That would seem like a reasonable way to transmit information of this nature and might be fun to have something like a stock ticker-type of application which would show trades happening in "real time".
slush
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1097

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2010, 02:05:06 PM

Do any of the exchanges have RSS feeds of their trade data?  That would seem like a reasonable way to transmit information of this nature and might be fun to have something like a stock ticker-type of application which would show trades happening in "real time".

I implemented jabber bot (python) which multicast changes on Mt.Gox in almost realtime fastion to all subscribed contacts, but it is currently off (it is working but I do not have reasonable usage yet). It is nice that the polling of mtgox API can be done only once for many many independent users.

I can publish my work or cooperate on this project, because it can be quite straightforward to add settings for each subscriber, which kind of price he is interested in (say 'send me just notification for movement above $0.3/USD).

wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
November 21, 2010, 02:43:13 PM

I implemented jabber bot (python) which multicast changes on Mt.Gox in almost realtime fastion to all subscribed contacts, but it is currently off (it is working but I do not have reasonable usage yet). It is nice that the polling of mtgox API can be done only once for many many independent users.
Useful! Much better than polling Smiley

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
slush
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2010, 03:03:25 PM

Useful! Much better than polling Smiley

Try bitcoin@jabber.cz for updates. I started bot on my desktop, but have also 24/7 server where can be bot online if it will be useful.

Also current algorithm is that polling is faster when market is active (first poll after market update is 0.5 second, next ~1.5 second) and is limitely going to poll every ~25 when market is dead (here is simple log function inside which make time between polls longer). It is absolutely no problem to modify algorithm to fit special requests.

X0nic (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 21, 2010, 11:00:38 PM

great idea.
what is also missing is stop buy / loss ordering, trailing stops, etc (this is related to your idea above but would need to be implemented in the exchanges)

Well, mtgox has an API that lets you buy and sell. Through that API someone could implement stop loss etc through that, without being implemented in the exchange.
wumpus

View Profile
November 25, 2010, 12:41:16 PM
Last edit: November 25, 2010, 02:48:26 PM by witchspace

Try bitcoin@jabber.cz for updates. I started bot on my desktop, but have also 24/7 server where can be bot online if it will be useful.
I'm making a Python bot to listen for these updates. I've got the basic XMPP login, but I'm stuck; how to use your bot? Do I need to send it something before it will send updates to me?

Message 39475364831290686573167276 Sorry, there are no commands available yet...
Seems not. How to make it send to me?

OK.. figured out already. Just needed to send a subscribe/contact list message Grin
Message 39475364831290686573167276 That's all! Now just wait to trades on Mt.Gox :-)
Let's see if any actual trades come in Smiley It works!

Request: Please add a command to get the last trade(s). That way, it is easier to make a desktop applet/widget that watches the current price.

Also, is there a way to subscribe to XMPP notifications without creating some kind of account? To make this useful as a standalone program, it shouldn't require anyone to register at google etc.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
slush
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2010, 02:48:16 PM

There was update before 15 minutes. Did you receive it? It is always in text format. If you are interested, I can send you original json (there are the same data, but encoded as json dict).

wumpus

View Profile
November 25, 2010, 02:50:12 PM

Yep, I got them.  As noone had replied here, I just edited my previous message instead of posting a new one.

A JSON format would indeed be easier for machine parsing Smiley

tcatm

Activity: 337
Merit: 265

View Profile
November 25, 2010, 03:44:50 PM

I added the feature to bitcoincharts.com:

http://bitcoincharts.com/markets/lasttrades.json

Will return the 15 most recent trades by default. You can also supply a timestamp and a custom limit:

http://bitcoincharts.com/markets/lasttrades.json?since=UNIXTIME&limit=LIMIT

Example: http://bitcoincharts.com/markets/lasttrades.json?since=1290600000&limit=2

This is evaluated as WHERE timestamp >= 1290600000 LIMIT 2

Hope this makes programming a bit easier.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: