Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 10:07:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin lending?: GE Capital Cuts Off Lending to Gun Shops  (Read 1241 times)
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 02:36:15 AM

General Electric's financial wing, GE Capital, is "quietly" cutting ties with gun stores. The financial group is sending notices to gun stores letting them know ties are being severed and funds will no longer be available for lending. 
GE Capital says this action is in response to the Sandy Hook Elementary shooting.
Interestingly, the father of Sandy Hook shooter Adam Lanza is Peter Lanza, an executive at GE Capital.
Additionally, GE did take stimulus money during Obama's first term; no one has addressed whether that bailout has impacted the financial group's decisions in any way.
GE Capital is only ending business relations with companies that carry firearms exclusively but will continue to work with retail giants that sell products other than guns, like Wal-Mart and Dick's Sporting Goods.
Conveniently, this stipulation allows GE Capital to maintain business relations with Wal-Mart, despite the retailer being "the nation's largest seller of guns and ammunition."

No matter what you think of owning a gun or not in the USA, if a business is legal and not a risk, why stopping lending? Is GE Capital going to stop helping merchants selling pressure cookers too?

Those examples tells me why I am confident bitcoin is here to stay. If enough bitcoiners believe in a business they should directly help it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 02:41:20 AM
Last edit: April 25, 2013, 07:05:26 AM by Kluge

Bitcoin value fluctuates wildly day-to-day and is not currently suitable to provide long-term financing solutions. That's not necessarily a fault of Bitcoin itself, but it's just that current market conditions don't make it practical.

With that said, there's no reason GE Capital won't one day be lending out BTC. Anyway, this might be a calculated move on GEC's part thinking gun control laws have a solid shot and not wanting to be exposed to that regulatory risk, or GEC really is being stupid and their statement is true at face-value.
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 05:27:36 AM

GE Capital is an irrelevant dinosaur completely dependent upon political favors at this point.  I have a credit card from them that they told me was cancelled years ago, but actually isn't.  They are the most incompetent boobs in the financial industry, and should have gone under long ago.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
koin
Legendary

Activity: 873

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 06:35:08 AM

If enough bitcoiners believe in a business they should directly help it.

if we can prepay for bfl jalapenos ten months before they ship we will probably prepay for other items valuable to us as well.    specifically, for purchasing guns this was brought up here:

would i be able to make the purchase now and just not take delivery until a future time?

does such a service exist?
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 07:02:29 AM

BTC loans using guns and ammo as collateral? So I lend some of my BTC to a gun shop in the United States and then foreclose on all the guns and ammo when the BTC / USD rate goes up and the gun shop goes bankrupt.?

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442

Antifragile

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 07:04:14 AM

Hey GE, if you are against violence, then how about you stop producing weapons? Man, talk about hypocritical.

Anyway, regarding the point of the thread, we are not going to need GE Capital and it is better off we don't associate ourselves with weapons producers, for many obvious reasons.

Keep the peace...

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 09:56:26 AM

America, businesses based on what happened in a school  Roll Eyes so much fail

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: