Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 12:44:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Flashing NVIDIA bios: can I flash my MSI GTX 1070 while other cards are present?  (Read 1809 times)
TheOATeam (OP)

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 10:29:15 PM

So, basically I would like to apply a bios update to my MSI GTX 1070 in a mining rig that has 4 other Gigabyte GPUs. Will the MSI bios flash software know which card is my 1070? I don't want to brick $1500 worth of video cards.
Thanks!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
April 07, 2017, 12:46:18 AM

You can't really brick GPUs, at least I failed to do so trying to flash the wrong BIOS or even when I restarted a frozen rig mid BIOS update. But then again I only ever used the DOS version of NVFlash (which you can use to list your cards and also you have to specify which card you want to flash).

Not your keys, not your coins!
mirny
Legendary

Activity: 1108
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 07, 2017, 02:35:16 AM

So, basically I would like to apply a bios update to my MSI GTX 1070 in a mining rig that has 4 other Gigabyte GPUs. Will the MSI bios flash software know which card is my 1070? I don't want to brick $1500 worth of video cards.
Thanks!

If you really don't want to brick your expensive card, I think those 15minutes, or less for unplugging other cards, will not kill you.

This is my signature...
bathrobehero
Legendary

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
April 07, 2017, 03:42:08 AM

Always smart to only have one card installed when flashing.

We all learn the hard way though.  Sucks having to figure out how to short/jump a bios chip to be able to reflash it when nothing shows up.

Mobo BIOS' (especially ebay bought ones) are no joke but every time I failed an Nvidia GPU flash I could just finish it after a restart. Obviously from another display input (onboard).

dannygroove

Activity: 306
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2017, 01:45:14 PM

You can't really brick GPUs, at least I failed to do so trying to flash the wrong BIOS or even when I restarted a frozen rig mid BIOS update. But then again I only ever used the DOS version of NVFlash (which you can use to list your cards and also you have to specify which card you want to flash).

Can you be so kind then to tell me how can I make my PC recognize all of my 280x? I got 5 of them that are completely bricked/dead (No signs of getting detected by the OS). When I look at device manager it only says standard VGA and it won't let me install drivers on them.
bathrobehero
Legendary

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
April 07, 2017, 05:48:24 PM

Can you be so kind then to tell me how can I make my PC recognize all of my 280x? I got 5 of them that are completely bricked/dead (No signs of getting detected by the OS). When I look at device manager it only says standard VGA and it won't let me install drivers on them.

I can't really help you with AMD cards, your motherboard might not have enough resources (lanes) to run all cards or it could be a driver issue or something specific to AMD, I don't know.

dannygroove

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2017, 07:08:35 PM

I can't really help you with AMD cards, your motherboard might not have enough resources (lanes) to run all cards or it could be a driver issue or something specific to AMD, I don't know.

Tried them with multiple motherboards, risers, PSUs, drivers, OSs. They are just dead. A curious fact is that it does give you video if you attach an HDMI cable to it.
JaredKaragen
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1165

My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2017, 02:13:42 AM

Are they xfx cards? Specifically speaking the amd models?

To be frank, your issue is a common one to a failed card needing warranty.

Xfx takes the cake on that note.  I'll never buy their products again.

If you are using a card to view the OS, but it can't be detected as anything but generic vga; it's a problem most likely not with the rom.

Link to my batch and script resources here.  

DO NOT TRUST YOBIT  -JK

Donations: 1Q8HjG8wMa3hgmDFbFHC9cADPLpm1xKHQM
dannygroove

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2017, 01:12:56 AM

Are they xfx cards? Specifically speaking the amd models?

To be frank, your issue is a common one to a failed card needing warranty.

Xfx takes the cake on that note.  I'll never buy their products again.

If you are using a card to view the OS, but it can't be detected as anything but generic vga; it's a problem most likely not with the rom.

They are Gigabyte. Started dying one by one, as months went by. Its a shame they are over 3 years old. I believe Gigabyte covers up to 2. I once had a dead XFX 380, but they replaced immediately.. Haven't had any issues with my XFX 390s besides them running really hot all the time.
JaredKaragen
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1165

My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2017, 08:50:11 PM

our audio/video production company burned through 8 of them in the matter of 6-8 months.   They would fail in an odd way;   all the sudden once the driver loads the machine crashes hard.   Worked fine in legacy mode.

They were less than 3 years old (less than one) by manufacture date alone;  Same failure on all the cards.  RX280 models... And yeah;  they ran hot as sin;  but when you look at what generation chip and how much juice they pull.... understandable.  Reminded me of the GTX480's.

Link to my batch and script resources here.  

DO NOT TRUST YOBIT  -JK

Donations: 1Q8HjG8wMa3hgmDFbFHC9cADPLpm1xKHQM
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: