Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 05:48:46 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GPU Power Pins  (Read 496 times)
Southy (OP)

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2017, 04:08:42 AM
Last edit: April 15, 2017, 04:50:57 AM by Southy

Hello was looking at a couple 1070's a couple of the brands use only one 6 or 8 pin GPU Power, while others have 2 6 or 8 pin sockets. I was wondering if this would make a big difference for mining altcoins, such as Asus 1070 only has 1 6 pin compared to to MSI which has 2 connectors looks like 6 and a 8 but a little less boost clock. just wondering if that would effect mining at all, Thanks!

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814126109&cm_re=asus_1070-_-14-126-109-_-Product
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16814127947
Berque

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 11:34:09 PM

I am also wondering which points are important while connecting GPUs to PSUs, couldn't figure out if I gotta use all the pins or just pick one ( my card has one 6 and one 8 pins to power, i am not sure which one to use connecting with PSU.. or maybe both? )

Is there any article / or information about PSU jacks?
Jdope

Activity: 747
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 11:43:00 PM

I am also wondering which points are important while connecting GPUs to PSUs, couldn't figure out if I gotta use all the pins or just pick one ( my card has one 6 and one 8 pins to power, i am not sure which one to use connecting with PSU.. or maybe both? )

You must connect both the 8 and the 6 pins, also for the OP, they probably do not affect mining efforts, some cards just need more power than others specially cards that are factory overclocked, you might get some boost but i don't think its anything big, most 1070s will do the same range.
cryptotore

Activity: 324
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 11:58:13 PM

You must connect both the 8 and the 6 pins, also for the OP, they probably do not affect mining efforts, some cards just need more power than others specially cards that are factory overclocked, you might get some boost but i don't think its anything big, most 1070s will do the same range.

Well, must isnt exactly correct, but its recommended.
Some GPUs wont start without both connectors attached tho.

It depends on how much power your card will draw from the PSU. Its obviously safer to balance power draw on 2 connectors instead of 1. But if you underclock and mine something that isnt GPU core intensive (like ethereum) you could probably get away with only one 8x pin connector.

Dont do this if you dont know what you are doing tho, nobody likes a closed casket funeral Smiley
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 02:31:08 AM

ETH tends to want MORE power draw than most coins, not less.

I've never seen a card that had 2 connectors on it that would start up at all without BOTH connected - though I concede my sample size is fairly small and such a card might exist.

DO NOT connect only one connector though - there is a significant chance that the power circuitry is specifically designed to draw power SEPERATELY from each connector, and you'll have NO power to some of the "power phases" at all if you only run 1 connector and the card actually starts up which will tend to overload the other phases and cause failures.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: