Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 01:18:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can't open Electrum on Windows 7  (Read 4624 times)
waxwing (OP)

Activity: 469
Merit: 253

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 09:32:00 AM

Behaviour observed: intermittently (I can't spot a pattern), when I start up Electrum (double click the exe file) it doesn't open. Two processes are running, both called electrum.exe *32, but sometimes the window just doesn't open.

I tried running as Administrator. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit.

Any suggestions?

Edit: version is 1.7.3

PGP fingerprint 2B6FC204D9BF332D062B 461A141001A1AF77F20B (use email to contact)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
onkelpatte

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 05:32:29 PM

I have this behavior with the electrum 1.7.3 installer on my Windows 7 32bit Netbook. Doesn't matter whether I use "run as administrator" or not.
Please let me know if you need further information.
yxt
Legendary

Activity: 3528
Merit: 1116

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 09:33:41 PM

Is there something new?

BTCKano Pool██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██
██
██
██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
   ██
   ██
   ██
   ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
   ██
   ██
   ██
   ██
flatfly
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1016

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 10:08:05 AM

To determine if this is related to the build process, you may want to try my independent builds.
More info here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=73651
onkelpatte

Activity: 24

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 08:58:47 PM

Is there something new?
No, 1.7.3 still not working for me. I already tried a fresh download and install. At least an earlier Version works for me, so I'll just wait for the next version available and try this out.
leopard2
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1014

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 11:16:42 PM

I have the exact same problem

last version working is 162

with the Flatfly 1.7.4 the behaviour is different, it says "unpacking to electrum_sysfiles directory" and stays there forever

what the fuck is going on; there must be others that are affected by this or not?

Truth is the new hatespeech.
linuxer

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

Official Troll of bitcointalk,Certified by John K.

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 11:19:08 PM

I have the exact same problem

last version working is 162

with the Flatfly 1.7.4 the behaviour is different, it says "unpacking to electrum_sysfiles directory" and stays there forever

what the fuck is going on; there must be others that are affected by this or not?

download 1.8
leopard2
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1014

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 11:20:05 PM

1.8 and all other versions newer than 1.6.2 don't work

Truth is the new hatespeech.
btcven

Activity: 715
Merit: 500

Bitcoin Venezuela

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2013, 03:42:25 PM

1.8 and all other versions newer than 1.6.2 don't work

I have just installed 1.8 with the Windows installer from a 1.7.2 version. On Windows 8

Can you try removing everything Electrum related? Make sure to move your electrum.dat before deleting things.

And try the latest version

Admin: rdymac (PGP) | contacto@bitcoinvenezuela.com | @cafebitcoin | Electrum, lightweight bitcoin client
If I've been helpful tip me a coffee! Cheesy1rdymachKZpA9pTYHYHMYZjfjnoBW6B3k Bitrated user: rdymac.
flatfly
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1016

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 04:14:02 PM

With the flatfly build, you can get more debugging info to find out what's wrong as follows:

try to run it while holding down the SHIFT key. In the resulting console, type 'electrum' and hit Enter.
Do you get any error messages?

Try to same test with typing 'python'
waxwing (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 11:18:16 AM

Months later and I'm having this problem again. I updated to version 1.8 but I still have the behaviour that the window won't open. I can see it on the taskbar (sometimes!?) but it's not visible. Very weird!

PGP fingerprint 2B6FC204D9BF332D062B 461A141001A1AF77F20B (use email to contact)
waxwing (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 11:39:05 AM
Last edit: June 21, 2013, 02:42:45 AM by waxwing

fixed by removing electrum.dat
I don't know about others, but I have a suspicion the problem I was having was connected with having more than one screen. Now I switched to a single laptop; it's possible that electrum tried to open up with an invalid screen coordinate.

Edit: The original problem I mentioned in the first post is NOT fixed. Still getting same behaviour of 2 executables but no window showing. And still intermittent, difficult to pin down.

btcven

Bitcoin Venezuela

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2013, 10:59:35 PM

Edit: The original problem I mentioned in the first post is NOT fixed. Still getting same behaviour of 2 executables but no window showing. And still intermittent, difficult to pin down.

Try with another windows computer. If you find the same error and can replicate it, it might help. If you can't, maybe you should fix your windows first.

Admin: rdymac (PGP) | contacto@bitcoinvenezuela.com | @cafebitcoin | Electrum, lightweight bitcoin client
If I've been helpful tip me a coffee! Cheesy1rdymachKZpA9pTYHYHMYZjfjnoBW6B3k Bitrated user: rdymac.
neoranga

Activity: 50

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 04:59:36 PM

I'm experiencing the same problem in Win7 with 1.8, I haven't open the client for a few weeks but now it doesn't open with my "wallet.dat" file as argument, if I don't use my wallet.dat then the client opens normally asking to create a new wallet.
I couldn't figure out any trace of the error, the application simply appears and disappears in the win task manager.

Luckily I had a copy of the previous version and that one opens without any problem my existing wallet.
btcven

Bitcoin Venezuela

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2013, 06:00:30 PM

I'm experiencing the same problem in Win7 with 1.8, I haven't open the client for a few weeks but now it doesn't open with my "wallet.dat" file as argument, if I don't use my wallet.dat then the client opens normally asking to create a new wallet.
I couldn't figure out any trace of the error, the application simply appears and disappears in the win task manager.

Luckily I had a copy of the previous version and that one opens without any problem my existing wallet.

Move your electrum.dat file and restore from seed on the 1.8 client when prompt

neoranga

Activity: 50

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 03:07:18 PM

Move your electrum.dat file and restore from seed on the 1.8 client when prompt

Indeed, the seed restoration worked in the latest version ( 1.8 ) but of course I've lost all the customizations/notes of the original wallet Sad

We probably need to make more regression tests between versions so upgrades don't break existing client data.

Thanks for the help.
btcven

Bitcoin Venezuela

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2013, 09:50:33 PM

Indeed, the seed restoration worked in the latest version ( 1.8 ) but of course I've lost all the customizations/notes of the original wallet Sad

We probably need to make more regression tests between versions so upgrades don't break existing client data.

Thanks for the help.

I recommend you to backup your electrum.dat file before updating if you have set important labels and have imported keys. You can also use the plugin to keep your labels in the cloud, so you'll never lose it.

hephaist0s

Activity: 711
Merit: 532

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 01:51:21 PM

Thanks for the help.

I recommend you to backup your electrum.dat file before updating if you have set important labels and have imported keys. You can also use the plugin to keep your labels in the cloud, so you'll never lose it.

Which plugin is this? I've just gone through this same problem: after months of use, Electrum stops opening, but it can be recreated from the seed if I move the electrum.dat file; so the problem seems to be related to the electrum.dat file. But upon recreation, I've lost all my notes, which is really a bummer since that certainly helped me keep track of what was what. a) Is there a way to get these notes back? and b) for next time, what is this manner of backing up the notes which you refer to?

Tips graciously accepted on my behalf by Mr. Pig. | object2212.com | BTC:1H78y8FVeQrWY6KnxA6WLFQGUoajCuiMAu | ETH:0x3c1bC39EC7F3f6b26ACb6eeeEFe7dE2f486a72E9
btcven

Bitcoin Venezuela

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2013, 04:33:24 PM

Which plugin is this? I've just gone through this same problem: after months of use, Electrum stops opening, but it can be recreated from the seed if I move the electrum.dat file; so the problem seems to be related to the electrum.dat file. But upon recreation, I've lost all my notes, which is really a bummer since that certainly helped me keep track of what was what. a) Is there a way to get these notes back? and b) for next time, what is this manner of backing up the notes which you refer to?

Label Sync is the plugin to keep your labels encrypted in a web service to be able to have it synchronized between computers. It will avoid losing labels if the wallet file get corrupted, you can always use your seed to restore privkeys and addresses, but LabelSync is a good way to keep your labels backed up.

hephaist0s

Activity: 711
Merit: 532

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 12:45:49 PM

Thank you!

Tips graciously accepted on my behalf by Mr. Pig. | object2212.com | BTC:1H78y8FVeQrWY6KnxA6WLFQGUoajCuiMAu | ETH:0x3c1bC39EC7F3f6b26ACb6eeeEFe7dE2f486a72E9
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: