Bitcoin Forum
September 20, 2024, 10:22:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Locked" threads from newbies  (Read 914 times)
MisteredF (OP)

Activity: 437
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 17, 2017, 01:09:22 AM

Yea, I know we should be aware of the risks but that doesn't mean some effort shouldn't be taken by the admins to prevent the "hit amd run" scammers.

Why not disallow locked threads and self-moderated threads from anyone with less than maybe 75-100 posts particularly in the digital items fora?  It won't SOLVE the problem but at least it would make it just a LITTLE harder and a little bit safer.  There is nothing to lose by doing it and plenty to gain.
Jannn

Activity: 1120
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2017, 02:18:53 AM

Why not disallow locked threads and self-moderated threads from anyone with less than maybe 75-100 posts particularly in the digital items fora? 
Thats a good idea.
Just contact the moderators of this forum or theymos and told them about your idea.
And just move your thread in META section because im think that is the proper board for this.
actmyname
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 2510

Spear the bees

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2017, 03:17:15 AM
Last edit: April 17, 2017, 04:25:00 AM by actmyname

Why not disallow locked threads and self-moderated threads from anyone with less than maybe 75-100 posts particularly in the digital items fora?

And on that day, the Off-topic section was flooded by a mass posting spree.

It won't change anything. In fact, it may add to the amount of spam in the forum given that newbies would have to post x amount before they're able to create their shitty little threads in the digital goods section. And they would probably post in other sections to circumvent their problem, infiltrating the goods section.

It won't SOLVE the problem but at least it would make it just a LITTLE harder and a little bit safer.  There is nothing to lose by doing it and plenty to gain.

It would make it a little harder and safer but then at the same time you start getting Jr. Members posting threads instead of Newbies, which may give people some false confidence in the merchant. After all, people associate rank with trust. Which is not the case.

And the thing is, most intelligent people should be able to tell a scam from a legitimate trade offer. It is not the forum's job to baby idiots.

MisteredF (OP)

Activity: 437

View Profile
April 17, 2017, 04:00:40 AM

^^^^^

I agree mostly, but then NO locked or self-moderated threads should be allowed in Digital or only HERO or above should be permitted.   Sure, people should be smart enough but why give a scammer such an easy place to setup a scam?   
actmyname
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 2510

Spear the bees

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2017, 04:29:43 AM

^^^^^

I agree mostly, but then NO locked or self-moderated threads should be allowed in Digital or only HERO or above should be permitted.   Sure, people should be smart enough but why give a scammer such an easy place to setup a scam?    

Locked and self-moderated threads can help clear spam and are clear indicators of potential scams. If you see the warning - where your posts may be deleted - you should peruse the forum for the trustworthiness of the individual, either by asking in the thread or by checking the Scam Accusations section.

I have no problem with people learning their lessons the hard way or the easy way (through simple logic and observation of others). In time, I hope that it will no longer be necessary to remind people of rules and stickies, and that ignorance will be driven to naught. Many have been smote by scammers and from that point on have learned to be more cautious.

If you see a locked thread, typically it means a discontinued service. If you see a self-moderated thread, you exercise caution. In both cases you should check the OP's trust and reputation on the forum.

I see no point in preventing access from locked/self-moderated threads for people who actually wish to control real trolling/spamming/etc on their threads.

stiffbud

Activity: 980
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 17, 2017, 04:34:57 AM

Yea, I know we should be aware of the risks but that doesn't mean some effort shouldn't be taken by the admins to prevent the "hit amd run" scammers.

Why not disallow locked threads and self-moderated threads from anyone with less than maybe 75-100 posts particularly in the digital items fora?  It won't SOLVE the problem but at least it would make it just a LITTLE harder and a little bit safer.  There is nothing to lose by doing it and plenty to gain.
It's the persons responsibility to comprehend that a locked thread from  newbie is a scam. It may be a good idea to limit what a newbie account can access and what not but it will generalize all low ranks even if some of them have no intention of scamming. Requiring a number of post will result to more spams.

Decentralized
Asset-Backed Banking

▄▄██████████████████
 █████████████████████
█████▀▀
████▀    ████
████     ████
████     ████
         ████     ████
         ████    ▄████
               ▄▄█████
█████████████████████
██████████████████▀▀ 
.TheStandard.io.█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
coldice

Activity: 654
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 17, 2017, 06:28:05 AM

Its better to verify a seller or go for escrow in order to be on the safe side.
Putting limitations won't make any effect on scam rate.

Back to talk
Joel_Jantsen
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1317

Get your game girl

View Profile
April 17, 2017, 07:46:40 PM

It's been discussed numerous times over and over.Don't think it's happening anytime soon.By now,it should automatically raise red flags if you see a newbie with a self-moderated locked sell thread.Obvious scam.
vivabux

Activity: 516

MoonDeFi

View Profile
April 18, 2017, 03:38:08 AM

i saw some hero and legendary member locked their account and create new acount every 10 minutes to bump but i report it to moderator,

the best thing its to stop newbie post in digital section. this section is very horible with those newbie account.

MOONDEFI