Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 11:04:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Linkcoin - idea for new type of distributed coinage  (Read 1920 times)
imperi (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 03:20:42 AM

I have this idea where instead of generating hashes, you send links and/or text to other nodes, similar to Reddit submissions. If you get good ones, you can "upvote" them and forward them to more nodes, maybe with a comment. The most upvoted link/text in 10 minutes becomes the next block, and coins are awarded to the original submitter who signed it with a private key and attached a public key. The coins can be traded similarly to Bitcoin. You can also go down the block chain to see all the best links ever.

This could also have an updated client that displays the text and links inline. So you can hit "next" to see the next one sent to you, and so forth, and different quality filters or sorters.

Thoughts? I only came up with the idea 30 minutes ago so don't hate on me too much. Tongue

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
fascistmuffin

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 03:22:58 AM

Then a similar hivemind could assume control? I think we have enough liberal, kitty loving, sensational reddits around already. 
imperi (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 03:24:04 AM

Then a similar hivemind could assume control? I think we have enough liberal, kitty loving, sensational reddits around already. 

It also generates currency though and is more interesting than turning a computer on.
ffe

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 04:46:35 AM

The block chain is not secure. I could generate a fake one in minutes that you could not distinguish from the valid one.
ffe

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 06:06:17 PM

The block chain is not secure. I could generate a fake one in minutes that you could not distinguish from the valid one.
"The most upvoted link/text in 10 minutes becomes the next block"
Do it!

I don't understand why anyone can't modify the data structure you're calling the "next block" to change the transactions to arbitrary ones he chooses. There is no "difficulty" to your process of block creation. One could go back an arbitrary number of blocks, modify a transaction, then recalculate the chained blocks going forward to the present and pass it around as the real block chain.

Any new idea must make it "difficult" to create a block.
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 06:54:37 PM

I don't understand why anyone can't modify the data structure you're calling the "next block" to change the transactions to arbitrary ones he chooses. There is no "difficulty" to your process of block creation. One could go back an arbitrary number of blocks, modify a transaction, then recalculate the chained blocks going forward to the present and pass it around as the real block chain.

You sir, don't understand 'forking' and the difficulty inherent to the process of establishing forged blocks. The resources are out there, even if you refuse to use them.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
ffe

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 12:47:09 AM

You sir, don't understand 'forking' and the difficulty inherent to the process of establishing forged blocks. The resources are out there, even if you refuse to use them.

Sorry. I thought the difficulty currently is the sheer amount of hashing required to find hashes that are less than some value. What other difficulty are you talking about?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: