Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 07:09:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What if Putin / Obama says no ?  (Read 944 times)
ppeetteerr (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 02:22:49 PM

What will happen to cryptocurrencies (BTC) if when these 2 disc jockey's say, no more bitcoin ?!

Do You even care of what they think of it ?!
 Roll Eyes

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 02:25:02 PM

What will happen to cryptocurrencies (BTC) if when these 2 disc jockey's say, no more bitcoin ?!

Roll Eyes

Fixed that for you.
kingofmoon

Activity: 14

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 02:30:35 PM

First of all the second most powerful man on earth is no longer the Russian President but the Chinese one; Xi Jinping.

Second; The whole point is that we do not need the government, bitcoin for many reasons one being that we do not need central banks to tell us how the money supply should be controlled.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4680

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 02:42:32 PM

Roll Eyes

In the U.S., creating a law requires more than just the President.

First you have to find at least one Congressman to write/submit the bill.

Then you generally need multiple Congressmen to agree on it for it to get through a committee.

Then you need the Speaker of the House to be willing to bring it to the floor.

Then you need approximately 218 Representatives to vote in favor of it.

Then you need the Senate to be willing to bring it to the Floor.

Then you need 60 Senators to be willing to allow the bill to be brought up for a vote.

Then you need 51 Senators to be willing to vote in favor of the bill.

Then you need the President to be willing to sign the bill rather than veto it.

I'm not saying all this can't or won't happen.  I'm just saying that there's a lot more involved than just what the disk jockey thinks of it.
nebulus

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

... it only gets better...

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 03:10:24 PM

Roll Eyes

In the U.S., creating a law requires more than just the President.

First you have to find at least one Congressman to write/submit the bill.

Then you generally need multiple Congressmen to agree on it for it to get through a committee.

Then you need the Speaker of the House to be willing to bring it to the floor.

Then you need approximately 218 Representatives to vote in favor of it.

Then you need the Senate to be willing to bring it to the Floor.

Then you need 60 Senators to be willing to allow the bill to be brought up for a vote.

Then you need 51 Senators to be willing to vote in favor of the bill.

Then you need the President to be willing to sign the bill rather than veto it.

I'm not saying all this can't or won't happen.  I'm just saying that there's a lot more involved than just what the disk jockey thinks of it.
Ever heard of executive order? Son...

bitchess

Activity: 42

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 03:12:09 PM

what grounds would they say no?  Would businesses push back?
TheClarkster

Activity: 8

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2013, 03:16:11 PM

The Bitcoin economy could still exist but exchanging it with dollars might be very hard to do.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4680

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 03:38:29 PM

Yes. And the things that can be accomplished with executive order are quite limited.

nebulus

... it only gets better...

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 03:44:04 PM

Yes. And the things that can be accomplished with executive order are quite limited.

Hmm... I always thought of it as a hell of a wild card.

TooM

Activity: 11

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 03:46:17 PM

It will possibly happen, one day.

Bitcoin is for now under no administration by its nature, this would cause many legitimate issue like money laundering.
Gator-hex

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 03:49:44 PM

Corporations choose what currency to accept not governments!  Cheesy

Did you see PayPal said they were considering using Bitcoin yesterday? (3min in)

http://www.bloomberg.com/video/paypal-sees-20-billion-in-mobile-transactions-WlokACTBRterdjHAJGNB6w.html

This is a thinly veiled message to governments I suspect.

bitchess

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 03:50:38 PM

Bitcoin is for now under no administration by its nature, this would cause many legitimate issue like money laundering.

The legal implications of bitcoin are interesting, governments can get a handle on it through 2 mechanisms (that I have read about, maybe more)

1. regulating the exchanges which convert bitcoins into their currency
2. regulating the bitcoin miners (this one is harder to do for mining pools since it's so vastly distributed.)
bitchess

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 03:51:48 PM

Corporations choose what currency to accept not governments!  Cheesy

Did you see PayPal said they were considering using Bitcoin yesterday? (3min in)

http://www.bloomberg.com/video/paypal-sees-20-billion-in-mobile-transactions-WlokACTBRterdjHAJGNB6w.html

Yeah but governments can regulate corporations.  Why else are 99+% of current currencies issued by governments?
Gator-hex

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 03:54:59 PM

Yeah but governments can regulate corporations.  Why else are 99+% of current currencies issued by governments?

And then the power goes off, you get empty store shelves, the bodies and trash collect in the street everyone has to get around on a push bike. Trust me we tried that in the 70s. It's called Communism (government takes over the means of production).

Luno

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 03:58:19 PM

You'll still live in a basement, but it won't be your mothers.
bitchess

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 03:59:03 PM

If the gov't finds some issue with Paypal and takes action to shut down the business.  (I know this is an extreme example but let's just take that as an assumption.)

Don't you think there will be another corporation that will pop up that does the same thing except adjusting their policies to follow the gov't?  I am assuming we are talking about US here.

Corporations choose what currency to accept not governments!  Cheesy

Yeah but governments can regulate corporations.  Why else are 99+% of current currencies issued by governments?

And then the power goes off, you get empty store shelves, the bodies and trash collect in the street everyone has to get around on a push bike. Trust me we tried that in the 70s. It's called Communism.
Jace

Activity: 288
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 04:03:14 PM

The same as what happened when they said "no more piracy / bittorrent / music & movies downloading / etc". Nothing is gonna change. Maybe some sites are gonna be closed down, but they will simply re-appear in other countries and/or TOR.

Exchanges are no problem, there are already exchanges where the exchange's bank account is not involved, such as bitcoin.de and numerous OTC alternatives.

Websites and online stores accepting Bitcoin will just have to move to servers in other countries. For example if the U.S. forbids Bitcoin, hosting companies in Asia and South-America can expect some booming business (at the expensive of the US's own hosting companies, who can thank their government for destroying their business).

Not much, only to the extent that whatever they say may temporarily and unjustly scare some people away from Bitcoin.

Feel free to send your life savings to 1JhrfA12dBMUhcgh85wYan6HL2uLQdB6z9
Jace

Activity: 288
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 04:04:59 PM

The Bitcoin economy could still exist but exchanging it with dollars might be very hard to do.
Eh, no, not at all. There will be some temporary inconvenience until the alternatives (that already exist today) have grown and can replace the current bank-account-dependent exchange business.

Feel free to send your life savings to 1JhrfA12dBMUhcgh85wYan6HL2uLQdB6z9
TooM

Activity: 11

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 04:05:35 PM

The legal implications of bitcoin are interesting, governments can get a handle on it through 2 mechanisms (that I have read about, maybe more)

1. regulating the exchanges which convert bitcoins into their currency
2. regulating the bitcoin miners (this one is harder to do for mining pools since it's so vastly distributed.)

1. You can already purchase directly with bitcoin now. Image what would happen in years.
2. Mining makes less and less sense since more and more people are joining.
bitleif

Activity: 351
Merit: 250

I'm always grumpy in the morning.

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 04:06:10 PM

There WILL probably be some resistance to bitcoin from the Old Establishment. Look at the forces trying to protect the Euro right now, or look at all the wars started to protect the petro-dollar. They won't just give away their power to the first digital currency that comes along.

That said, in the long run I don't know if there's much they can do. The best bet they have to defend themselves would be to offer an establishment-controlled alternative that seemingly had many of the same benefits (seemingly to commoners, that is.)

Bitcoin is a true disruptive technology that strikes at the heart of the western governance system (debt-based money!), interesting times are ahead.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: