Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:38:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Political Party/Politics (UK)  (Read 1271 times)
Jobe7 (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Now they are thinking what to do with me

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 10:10:12 PM

I've met Nigel Farrage a couple of times last year at one of the by-elections, he's a good bloke, but UKIP's policies wouldn't fit with the ideals I believe that would be generalized from the people here.

Don't get me wrong, UKIP is a fine party and they asked me to join, but I couldn't quite rightly do that since I was in a different party, if I wasn't in that party at the time I would've joined them.

But I do believe there are some more liberal views that we've seen reflected on these boards, and I believe the majority of the people understand the real issues that we face, especially if bitcoin is to be accepted.

This is an opportunity for those that may suddenly have the wealth to be able to make a difference, because in this world (well, for sure in the UK and I'm pretty sure most places) money is needed to get anywhere in the political world.

If this comes to pass, I believe it couldn't hurt to have a political party with the sudden monetary influence and with the best interest of freedom and btc in our minds. It would be in our political interest to oppose laws and statutes that were harmful to btc, and at the same time protect liberties and free some liberties that we do have. That we, the people, can see.

I mean, banks and bailouts for starters ..

UKIP is great, but I think we have a slightly different voice, and if we had the opportunity, we should be heard.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 09:06:00 AM

I know your policies are a bit different from UKIP's policies.  My suggestion was based on the idea that unless you want to be forced into the Tory/Labour consensus of implementing EU directives, you first need to get the UK out of the EU.  I disagree with lots of UKIP's ideas but unless decision making is brought back to Westminister, no policy platform matters.

Anyway, its your decision.  When you do get started post a link Smiley
nwbitcoin

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

You are a geek if you are too early to the party!

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2013, 09:17:40 AM

Areas to be covered.

Drugs (please understand NOT a free for all, but a controlled regulated market)
Taxes
Jobs
NHS/health
Privatization
Public Sector
Crime
Education
Economy (free economy)
Energy
Immigration
Foreign Policy (wars, etc)
EU

If you're not a UK citizen and would like to contribute, maybe for shits and giggles, then sure, drop me a pm. If you are a UK and want to contribute, but cba to be a party member, that's also perfectly fine, pm again.

Again I need to state that such an undertaking will only be possible when btc kicks of bigger. A large part of Politics (these days anyway) is about money unfortunately. A lot of 'up and coming' politicians fund themselves, relying on donations is a definite secondary thing. It costs £1,500 to put yourself in for an election, then there's advertisement costs, travel expenses, etc, etc. And success is heavily dependent on the advertisement, getting yourself seen.

Don't expect - "woot, we have 500+ seats, we'll rule the country!!"

What the aim would be (again upon the assumption that by 2014 (spring) btc would be of a value to make this possible) - Waking people up, showing them there's a different way, poking the damn corruption in the eye (with a sharp stick, with dog poo on the end)! Never know, if fairly successful maybe 2019 we'd win substantial seats Wink

But yes, if the money is behind us then the possibility of winning seats does exist. If you got all the people that have lost faith in the government, that don't vote, to vote, thats around 50-80% of the votes (depending upon the constituency/area)

So, yup, once a draft is finished it'll be uploaded somewhere for all to view.

There's a war going on, we gotta fight it from every angle, we can't just sit back and let the rest of the world fight it whilst we in the UK twiddle our fingers, especially since we're in the belly of the beast.

edit: The general idea (re: the issues noted above) is freedom and equality, if you have interpretations of that with regard to one of the topics I'd be happy to hear.

With waking people up you can change retarded laws and corruption with influence. With seats you can stop corruption and get your voice, that represents your area, heard.

Ok, serious head on.

Have you ever wondered why the current government and the last government spend so much time talking about Education and the NHS?

Its because these are the only two issues they have enough freedom within the EU framework to actually change in any practical way - hence the micro management.

Everything else you've mentioned needs the nod from the EU to alter, and you won't get any because it goes against the grain of our commitment to the EU through countless treaties.

Its nice to dream, but UK politics is nicely sown up to prevent anyone getting close enough to the boat to rock it! Wink

Oh, and my experience of politics goes as far as managing political events in Westminster, and spending time in the private apartments within the palace.  I have a better idea than most of how the system actually works! Wink

*Image Removed*
I use Localbitcoins to sell bitcoins for GBP by bank transfer!
Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 10:09:53 AM

...snip...

Have you ever wondered why the current government and the last government spend so much time talking about Education and the NHS?

Its because these are the only two issues they have enough freedom within the EU framework to actually change in any practical way - hence the micro management.

Everything else you've mentioned needs the nod from the EU to alter, and you won't get any because it goes against the grain of our commitment to the EU through countless treaties.
...snip...

QFT
Pteppic

Activity: 110
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 01:13:30 PM

What are you actually hoping to achieve with this political party? Given how many people consider even the tories too far right to ever vote for, I seriously doubt you will get many votes.

How many MPs do the BNP, or UKIP or the Green party have? Why do you think your party will do better than that?

"Remember too on every occasion which leads you to vexation to apply this principle: not that this is a misfortune, but that to bear it nobly is good fortune." - Marcus Aurelius
Jobe7 (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Now they are thinking what to do with me

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 01:35:20 PM

Its nice to dream, but UK politics is nicely sown up to prevent anyone getting close enough to the boat to rock it!

Let's be honest, bitcoin itself is a bit of a dream, something like the internet itself was before it existed also. And yes, it would only be possible with the success of bitcoin being its backing (and its financing).

I don't expect a landfall or something like that, but with enough voice and representation we can highlight certain areas that we, as bitcoin users, are most interested in (e.g. addressing economic corruption and equality amongst classes).

The freedoms we'd seek from a political stand point for the people would only be possible when/if btc rises truly, because that itself would give people the vision and hope that there IS a different way, and how to join/do that different way. And we'd be there, politically, to help it along and protect it (freedoms that come with btc and btc itself).

On the EU .. I have some personal thoughts (similar to UKIP), but I'll be putting forth a 'foundation idea' (for each issue), then bouncing back and forth the manifesto between interest people until we can come up with a good general feeling that we can agree with.

How many MPs do the BNP, or UKIP or the Green party have? Why do you think your party will do better than that?

There is a very large % of people that do not vote, in every area. Those people are essentially 'up for grabs'. I believe that when people really understand what btc is and all the things it promises that they may be persuaded to make sure to protect their own interests, of which we would have that directly in mind, because of course it would be our own interests also.

But yes, again, until btc hits the singularity, its not financially possible, nor is it politically possible (not a chance to persuade a significant amount of people in the UK atm).

So, it's nice to be prepared, got a year for btc to grow, quite a few people (me included obviously) think that it's potential is rather important, it'll be nice to be prepared and support it from this angle.

Also on the other parties, if/when btc takes off (assuming it does by 2014), there wouldn't be much point in standing in areas where other parties had very similar beliefs, unless of course it was cost effective. Better to stand together than apart, on similar views.

nwbitcoin

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

You are a geek if you are too early to the party!

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2013, 03:15:37 PM

Its nice to dream, but UK politics is nicely sown up to prevent anyone getting close enough to the boat to rock it!

Let's be honest, bitcoin itself is a bit of a dream, something like the internet itself was before it existed also. And yes, it would only be possible with the success of bitcoin being its backing (and its financing).

I don't expect a landfall or something like that, but with enough voice and representation we can highlight certain areas that we, as bitcoin users, are most interested in (e.g. addressing economic corruption and equality amongst classes).

The freedoms we'd seek from a political stand point for the people would only be possible when/if btc rises truly, because that itself would give people the vision and hope that there IS a different way, and how to join/do that different way. And we'd be there, politically, to help it along and protect it (freedoms that come with btc and btc itself).

On the EU .. I have some personal thoughts (similar to UKIP), but I'll be putting forth a 'foundation idea' (for each issue), then bouncing back and forth the manifesto between interest people until we can come up with a good general feeling that we can agree with.

There is a very large % of people that do not vote, in every area. Those people are essentially 'up for grabs'. I believe that when people really understand what btc is and all the things it promises that they may be persuaded to make sure to protect their own interests, of which we would have that directly in mind, because of course it would be our own interests also.

But yes, again, until btc hits the singularity, its not financially possible, nor is it politically possible (not a chance to persuade a significant amount of people in the UK atm).

So, it's nice to be prepared, got a year for btc to grow, quite a few people (me included obviously) think that it's potential is rather important, it'll be nice to be prepared and support it from this angle.

Also on the other parties, if/when btc takes off (assuming it does by 2014), there wouldn't be much point in standing in areas where other parties had very similar beliefs, unless of course it was cost effective. Better to stand together than apart, on similar views.

OK, this is exactly what you do to get bitcoin acceptance in the UK - if that is what your political party is all about.

Firstly, forget this setting up a political party lark - its great for the ego, but not much use for getting a result.

Secondly, start a lobby group with European links.  This lobby group has to have left wing aims in its manifesto, such as redistribution of wealth in a digital environment etc as its headline.  This will get you a conversation with other groups within Europe, and after enough talking, shaking hands and general lobbying, you will get an audience with the steering groups regarding the future of banking and money etc.  These are the people who actually make the rules that eventually cause us all grief!

If you can convince them that what you are talking about isn't a threat to their gravy train in any way - you might have a chance to getting yourself a place as the political face of bitcoin in Europe - then you can start making things happen by creating documents to advise on how digital currency needs to be dealt with by financial institutions to ensure that there is a fair distribution of wealth within this new digital environment!

Because this will be close to the official EU guidance on the subject, it will get picked up as being the official line, and eventually, all public sector organisations will be following your lead!

And that is how you will get a chance to touch the power and not a single person had to vote for you - wonder how that happened? Wink

*Image Removed*
I use Localbitcoins to sell bitcoins for GBP by bank transfer!
Pteppic

Activity: 110
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 03:23:18 PM

I believe that when people really understand what btc is and all the things it promises that they may be persuaded to make sure to protect their own interests, of which we would have that directly in mind, because of course it would be our own interests also.

Everyone believes that 'if everyone knew what I know, they would agree with me'. It is a well known psychological bias. You need to recognise that it is false. Even with the most persuasive, well presented arguments, very very few people are going to deviate from their entrenched world views.

I agree with nwbitcoin; an undemocratic lobby group will have much more impact.

"Remember too on every occasion which leads you to vexation to apply this principle: not that this is a misfortune, but that to bear it nobly is good fortune." - Marcus Aurelius
1m1nd

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 07:50:02 PM

party politics is a closed shop. have fun wasting your time and money!
film2240
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2013, 11:39:29 AM

There's been a few threads about "what will you do with your bitcoin wealth."

And I've been umming and ahhing, etc, etc, havn't got 'loads' myself (having come late to btc in 2012, and then just for silk road, before I realised what Bitcoin was).

But if Bitcoin does rise in value to a suitable amount by 2014 - I propose a new Political Party (which I'd setup myself if btc increases to a suitable amount that I'd be able to afford to). If it rose to a suitable amount by the end of this year, then I'd start it then.

So, here's me wondering if anyone else from the UK would be interested in standing for office? (as an MP) in the general elections in 2015. And honestly, being a politician is pretty easy tbh, though you get a fair bit of hassle from time to time and I expect the party that we'd create would get some media drama also Cheesy fun fun!

It needs an executive group, ideals, etc, etc, I'd start writing up a mandate if there was interest and btc looked like it was about to enter the singularity (or if it was already in the singularity). Might start writing one up anyway...

Anyway, not to get into it too much straight away, the general gist of the party mandate would be freedom and escape from banking control. Three main criteria, free energy (supporting free energy), natural medicine (ending the farce of a 'drug war', yes this means ALL drugs (but not a free for all), not just Cannabis) and a free economy (I wonder how 'introduction of Bitcoin into mainstream economic practice' would be received).

It is most definitely NOT a 1 man job, and obviously it would need finance backing (this is why I say only possible if btc rises to a suitable amount in value).

Unfortunately I'll only do this if I can afford to, the elite to have it nicely wrapped up that politics in the UK is generally only opened to those with money, and if you want to get anywhere, then definitely only those with money.

And you don't have to stand to be an MP if you still want to help, you can easily just be a party member, or (if/when it happens) just donate.

If there's honest interest then post a reply or feel free to PM me.

We are in the belly of the beast. Who's brave enough?

Can this please be used as an oppourtunity to repeal the Digital Economy Act 2010? As there are many issues,including the restriction,blocking and throttling of P2P applications (bittorrent,file sharing,maybe even Bitcoin since it runs on P2P tech) so I can use the internet more freely?

[This signature is available for rent.BTC/ETH/LTC or £50 equivalent a month]
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: