Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 07:20:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ways to verify if a project is genuine for a non technical user?  (Read 1132 times)
puremage111 (OP)

Activity: 1568
Merit: 511

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2017, 11:35:08 AM

For people who are coming from strong coding or IT background, they could verify like if apps is updated, source code is having error or so.

How about ways for non technical user

1) Whitepaper
2) Ann Thread
3) Verify The Project Owner

We have came across multiple of Big Scam Project - OPAIR , Ebitz, LetItRide

Both 3 has a very good written whitepaper, very good and innovative idea, clear and informative info graphics. Except On Project Team Member which is not verified/listed.

Therefore, if you wanted to invest in some project

Other than understanding the mandatory of the project, what would you look at?
BitcoinHodler

Activity: 1456
Merit: 579

HODLing is an art, not just a word...

View Profile
April 18, 2017, 12:58:19 PM

very good question and i often think about this myself. and more importantly i am always looking for a way to do all this fast and efficient. you know there are a lot of projects and if you want to spend a lot of time on each of them you would be sitting behind desk reading all day long.

i haven't come up with a solution yet though!

the best thing i can think of is reading feedback. for example reading the ANN thread. and after a while you will find other user's that you value their opinion. for example a random feedback by a random user will always be random but if a certain member who you trust because you saw him give good opinions before is going to be different.

Holding Bitcoin More Every Day
XbladeX
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 18, 2017, 01:03:17 PM

For people who are coming from strong coding or IT background, they could verify like if apps is updated, source code is having error or so.

1) Whitepaper
2) Ann Thread

Both 3 has a very good written whitepaper, very good and innovative idea, clear and informative info graphics. Except On Project Team Member which is not verified/listed.

ONLY WHEN THOSE MUTHERFUCKERS WILL PAYED AFTER MILESTONES is reached  it will be OVER
without it you can be fucked ALLWAYS Cheesy

Request / 26th September / 2022 APP-06-22-4587
lurker10

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 18, 2017, 01:12:25 PM

1) Whitepaper
2) Ann Thread

It's easy to filter out most scam projects with 2 simple rules.
Even though non technical users aren't able to read the code, they can verify how long developers have been working on the project or previous crypto projects and reject those coming from developers who have shorter than 1 year track records of solid development work.
It's also easy for non technical users to read reported issues on the code repositories and watch how developers respond and fix these issues, how fast they can find and fix vulnerabilities. Everyone including non technical users can watch and make conclusions on the competence of developers based on the repository activity.

nemgun

Activity: 882
Merit: 533

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2017, 01:23:34 PM

There are some simple methods to check for ICO scams :

- Check escrow conditions, if there is no milestone, don't invest.
- Check the identity of each team member, the photos are not enough, check their social accounts, google them, do anything to get their ID. if not, then it is 90% a scam.
- Don't waste time on whitepaper, it is made for technical users who can understand the content.
- If somone invites you to invest, and wears their signature, beware, he may be paid to get investors (at the moment just a few users do this)
- Ask them the ICO scam killer questions like : Where is your business plan ? what is your expected realisation delay ? Where is your financial plan ? ...

With these, you can easily avoid ICO scams, but even Bust them.
puremage111 (OP)

Activity: 1568
Merit: 511

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2017, 02:37:25 PM

- Check the identity of each team member, the photos are not enough, check their social accounts, google them, do anything to get their ID. if not, then it is 90% a scam.
- Don't waste time on whitepaper, it is made for technical users who can understand the content.
- If somone invites you to invest, and wears their signature, beware, he may be paid to get investors (at the moment just a few users do this)
- Ask them the ICO scam killer questions like : Where is your business plan ? what is your expected realisation delay ? Where is your financial plan ? ...

Oh yeah, forgot that asking questions is a kill, remind me of something

True agree on the photos of team member is not sufficient as photos can be took, and even use others social profile
nemgun

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2017, 03:14:42 PM

True agree on the photos of team member is not sufficient as photos can be took, and even use others social profile

The questions i asked to ascendancy just killed them, they deleted them (as it was a self moderated post), in the end, it appeared to be a scam. On background they was sending me PMs inviting me to talk to annother guy for these kind of questions which looked suspicious to me, this is why i droped them.
iram3130
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1010

ITSMYNE 🚀 Talk NFTs, Trade NFTs 🚀

View Profile
April 18, 2017, 04:30:57 PM

The questions i asked to ascendancy just killed them, they deleted them (as it was a self moderated post), in the end, it appeared to be a scam. On background they was sending me PMs inviting me to talk to annother guy for these kind of questions which looked suspicious to me, this is why i droped them.

I feel 99% of the ICO ventures are created to scam people. It's like making 1000 bitcoins by investing 200-300 bitcoins.
There are many accusations on these ventures as the owner pays to people to scam others and increasing the investment by putting the bid himself.
Most of them won't show their owners and developers so that they can scam again and again.

▄▄██████▄
         ▄▄████████████
   ▄▄█████████▀▀   ▀████
 ▄███████████▄      ████
████▀   ▀▀██████▄▄▄████
████      ▄███████████▄
▀████▄▄▄████████▀▀▀████▄
 ▀███████████▀      ████
 ████▀▀▀██████▄▄   ▄███▀
████      ▀███████████▀
████▄   ▄▄█████████▀▀
 ████████████▀▀
  ▀██████▀▀
█████████████████

███

██████████

██████

███████████

███████████████

███████████████████
█████████████████

███   

██████████

██████   

███████████

███████████████   

███████████████████
▄█████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████
██████▀███████▀   ▀▀▀▄█████
█████▌  ▀▀███▌       ▄█████

████▀               █████
█████▄              ███████
██████▄            ████████
███████▄▄        ▄█████████
█████▄▄       ▄████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
██████████████████▀▀███████
█████████████▀▀▀    ███████

███████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ███████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
█████████▌▐       █████████
██████████ ▄██▄  ██████████
████████████████▄██████████
███████▀           ▀███████
██████  ▄██▀▀▀▀▀█▀▄  ██████

█████  █▀  ▄▄▄  ▀█  █████
██████  █  █████  █  ██████
██████  █▄  ▀▀▀  ▄█  ██████
██████  ▀██▄▄▄▄▄██▀  ██████
███████▄           ▄███████
██████████▀█████▀██████████
███████▀  ▀     ▀  ▀███████

█████▌             ▐█████
██████    ██   ██    ██████
█████▌    ▀▀   ▀▀    ▐█████
██████▄  ▄▄▄   ▄▄▄  ▄██████
████████▄▄███████▄▄████████
coinplus
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1058

View Profile
April 18, 2017, 07:03:00 PM

That is cold. I mean you just asked couple of questions and dropped a huge operations, I wonder why they couldn’t just LIE. I mean they are scamming people by your explanation, they should figure out that there will be people sniffing around, they should prepare themselves for it. Seems like it is at least what we can do, ask the right questions, better than not doing anything.
nemgun

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2017, 10:41:00 AM

That is cold. I mean you just asked couple of questions and dropped a huge operations, I wonder why they couldn’t just LIE. I mean they are scamming people by your explanation, they should figure out that there will be people sniffing around, they should prepare themselves for it. Seems like it is at least what we can do, ask the right questions, better than not doing anything.

Because when you ask financial questions to a "Company" or an entity who is asking for finances, they have to answer with real informations, logic informations, give proofs, and simulations for the next 5/10 years. This is how Real companies work.
If i am interested in investing into a company, i have the right to ask for all their financial datas, and the long term and mid term simulations. A scam can't provide these informations without revealing himself because they haven't made their project for long term, so they don't think about it or just provides fake informations who are easily spotable. A 360% ROI/Year is nothing but a scam.
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
April 20, 2017, 08:32:33 AM

You can't.

FUD first & ask questions later™
nemgun

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2017, 01:40:34 PM

You can't.

Not totally right, you can actually investigate an ico, but without technical knowledge, you should leave as soon as something appears suspicious. If you are not greedy, you can easily avoir been scamed by ICOs.
Red-Apple

Activity: 1470
Merit: 655

View Profile
April 20, 2017, 02:00:26 PM

the best way based on my experience is to stay away from all the new projects that means a big NO to all the ICOs.
let them come and stay around on the market and be traded a little then by looking at their history and the price you can join in and make profit. but in order to do this you need to learn trading. that takes time but it is easier and faster and also more accurate than trying to figure out if a new project is worthy or not specially if it is an ICO!

--signature space for rent; sent PM--
spartak_t
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1176

@FAILCommunity

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2017, 02:10:28 PM

It's quite easy actually, but thing is that most of the people are blinded by their greed. And what is worse:
1. They may feel that something is wrong, but they may still "invest" if they "know" some profit can be made.
2. "Patience is a virtue" is not something, which applies to 99% of the digital currencies (or whatever asset/token is).

Truth is that 90%+ of the projects are scams. That doesn't necessary mean they will lie to people and disappear, but it may also mean there are insiders in them, speculators, trolls and lowlife bitches whose only goal is to earn more BTC. They may come with the "our coin/whatever is faster and better than Bitcoin" pitch, but at the end that is what they do - cash out Bitcoin and jerk off on their "success".  

silversmith

Activity: 181
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 20, 2017, 02:46:52 PM

Here is how you do it:

Step 1: Go to coinmarketcap.com

Step 2: Avoid everything listed below the #1 ranked coin
pereira4
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

View Profile
April 20, 2017, 02:52:31 PM

Think about it in an holistic way. "What does this coin or project offer that's new and actually useful?" Sometimes, some coins release fancy whitepapers and a lot of technical jargon that ultimately is not used at all by real people. For example, I believe poswallet is a simple idea that doesn't reinvent the wheel, BUT it brings an incredibly useful service into the ecosystem: staking several coins at the same time, something impossible to achieve by yourself.

I believe it is a really undervalued project at the moment.
agustina2
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1008

View Profile
April 20, 2017, 02:53:44 PM

1) Whitepaper
2) Ann Thread

Always remember that a good project that have a purpose to be scammed someday have a beautiful plans and developments, nice whitepaper, awesome roadmaps, active developers (which majority are anonymous) and anything about almost good. Who will invest in their project if investors saw them as an obvious scam?

So the bottom line here is; you can't verify if the project is legit. The right concern here is, how to minimize the risk when investing in a project. Then you can now applied those suggestions here that will be posted.
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
April 20, 2017, 07:26:17 PM

You can't.

Not totally right, you can actually investigate an ico, but without technical knowledge, you should leave as soon as something appears suspicious. If you are not greedy, you can easily avoir been scamed by ICOs.

ICO's are scammy by design.

Further more due dilligence is not possible.
You said "without technical knowledge"
Exactly.. what did i just say ?

Why are they scammy by design ?

You ICO defenders are fucking idiots period .  Roll Eyes

FUD first & ask questions later™
nemgun

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2017, 01:30:11 PM

You can't.

ICO's are scammy by design.

Further more due dilligence is not possible.
You said "without technical knowledge"
Exactly.. what did i just say ?

Why are they scammy by design ?

You ICO defenders are fucking idiots period .  Roll Eyes

I am not an ICO defender, i just say that some of them are legit, just a few of them.
Let me rework my sentence :

Not totally right, you can actually investigate an ico, but without if you don't have technical knowledge, you should leave as soon as something appears suspicious. If you are not greedy, you can easily avoir been scamed by ICOs.
Ayers
Legendary

Activity: 2660
Merit: 1024

Vave.com - Crypto Casino

View Profile
April 22, 2017, 01:57:06 PM

1) Whitepaper
2) Ann Thread

look if it is an ico, any ico is a bad investment now, the ico hype ended with lisk long time ago, only chose dev who have escrow if he is doing some sort of distribution without ico or choose trusted dev that is not a newbie

Here is how you do it:

Step 1: Go to coinmarketcap.com

Step 2: Avoid everything listed below the #1 ranked coin

lol, it's true that everything here is turned to bitcoin, but some coins have actually a nice roadmap and are a nice project, would be stupid to ignore, bitcoin can lear a lot from these coins

██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████