Bitcoin Forum
May 15, 2024, 01:40:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Butterfly Labs  (Read 9749 times)
bitcoinminer

Activity: 322
Merit: 252

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 03:48:07 AM

Let's see... 1500 Gigahashes divided by 350 megahashes... You need 4286 of my 5870 graphics cards, drawing 300 watts each? That's 1,285,800 watts, or... ahem... 1.21 Gigawatts if you round properly Wink

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful.

-Warren Buffett
charleshoskinson (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1008

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2013, 03:49:23 AM

Let's see... 1500 Gigahashes divided by 350 megahashes... You need 4286 of my 5870 graphics cards, drawing 300 watts each? That's 1,285,800 watts, or... ahem... 1.21 Gigawatts if you round properly

Thank you for introducing some much needed levity.

The revolution begins with the mind and ends with the heart. Knowledge for all, accessible to all and shared by all
Minor Miner
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1012

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 03:55:26 AM

Let's see... 1500 Gigahashes divided by 350 megahashes... You need 4286 of my 5870 graphics cards, drawing 300 watts each? That's 1,285,800 watts, or... ahem... 1.21 Gigawatts if you round properly Wink
I think mega comes before giga.   you are talking about the output of a nuclear reactor when you "round" like that.   you are not correct.
plus he was asking about what a minirig would require and the answer to that is about 9 kilowatts or more than a typical american house uses

charleshoskinson (OP)
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2013, 03:56:32 AM

Which is totally insane. What cooling system could possibility dissipate that kind of heat? Not in that space.

The revolution begins with the mind and ends with the heart. Knowledge for all, accessible to all and shared by all
bitcoinminer

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 03:56:56 AM

Let's see... 1500 Gigahashes divided by 350 megahashes... You need 4286 of my 5870 graphics cards, drawing 300 watts each? That's 1,285,800 watts, or... ahem... 1.21 Gigawatts if you round properly

Thank you for introducing some much needed levity.

No problem.  I actually just took a great picture of a spare 5870 I have sitting in a box, which my massive Ragdoll cat is sharing, perched lightly on the video card:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/95319871@N08/8681701725/

-Warren Buffett
charleshoskinson (OP)
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2013, 03:58:16 AM

Dawe, that's cute

jml

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 04:01:17 AM

Which is totally insane. What cooling system could possibility dissipate that kind of heat? Not in that space.

Unless they base the operation in the north pole and melt what is left of it?

...Or outerspace Smiley

"Everything is a matter of degree"
bitcoinminer

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 04:01:55 AM

yeah hes a fat bastard but he is the most mellow cat ever.  It makes me forget how aggravating people can be.  I think when this whole thing blows up, I shall refer to them as Larvae Labs since a beautiful butterfly emerging just isn't going to happen.

How do I make wagers against it happening?

-Warren Buffett
jml

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 04:02:37 AM

yeah hes a fat bastard but he is the most mellow cat ever.  It makes me forget how aggravating people can be.  I think when this whole thing blows up, I shall refer to them as Larvae Labs since a beautiful butterfly emerging just isn't going to happen.

bitbet http://bitbet.us/

charleshoskinson (OP)
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2013, 04:03:37 AM

And that's my issue. If they had a way of running a 1500 GH/s rig, then it would be portable down the product chain. This tells me that made very poor assumptions while engineering their ASICs. One that would have been quickly discredited after they had a working prototype. We are hearing about this now in March/April = they financed the developing using preorders. That my friends is a ponzi scheme

charleshoskinson (OP)
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2013, 04:04:32 AM

yeah hes a fat bastard but he is the most mellow cat ever.  It makes me forget how aggravating people can be.  I think when this whole thing blows up, I shall refer to them as Larvae Labs since a beautiful butterfly emerging just isn't going to happen.

I will not wager for something terrible to happen to a community I love. I truly hope I am wrong about BFL.

jml

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 04:05:51 AM

And that's my issue. If they had a way of running a 1500 GH/s rig, then it would be portable down the product chain. This tells me that made very poor assumptions while engineering their ASICs. One that would have been quickly discredited after they had a working prototype. We are hearing about this now in March/April = they financed the developing using preorders. That my friends is a ponzi scheme

Exactly, just need to scale down, but they started bottom up first not realising the challenges that lie ahead.

Minor Miner
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1012

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 04:07:05 AM

people tried to tell them this and just read (what josh hasn't deleted) his responses.   it is obscene that someone so stupid can be so arrogant.   It was not possible to hit the delivery times they were quoting and people told them.
My only hope was that people would refund and put them out of business instead of what is going to happen and these naive people are going to receive minors that are nice to have but will never pay off for them.

jml

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 04:07:24 AM

yeah hes a fat bastard but he is the most mellow cat ever.  It makes me forget how aggravating people can be.  I think when this whole thing blows up, I shall refer to them as Larvae Labs since a beautiful butterfly emerging just isn't going to happen.

I will not wager for something terrible to happen to a community I love. I truly hope I am wrong about BFL.

I think he is referring to BFL. I believe the community will survive if BFL went toast.

charleshoskinson (OP)
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2013, 04:08:15 AM

Exactly, just need to scale down, but they started bottom up first not realising the challenges that lie ahead.

It is fraud. They knowingly took money to deliver products they had no reasonable way of knowing would work. Should the development fail, then there was no way to refund the money nor deliver the product.

jml

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 04:12:50 AM

It is fraud. They knowingly took money to deliver products they had no reasonable way of knowing would work. Should the development fail, then there was no way to refund the money nor deliver the product.

During my first posts which is the reason I joined was to warn people that BFL EITHER did not issue full refunds or had a cock up in their billing system. I posted my receipt for my jap and my credit note with an adjustment fee. I posted this in the newbie section and "inaba" quickly made a post saying that what I had posted was made up as I was accusing them that they were taking a cut from refunds. So I challenged him to reply to state why that appeared on my refund and he didn't reply. In the end, I did get my full refund, but this doesn't look good for auditing their books.

jml

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 04:17:35 AM

Look here for my previous posts:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=114329.380

charleshoskinson (OP)
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2013, 04:25:11 AM

Thank you for this link. We can only wait at this point.

flound1129

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

www.multipool.us

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 05:37:00 AM

I think mega comes before giga.   you are talking about the output of a nuclear reactor when you "round" like that.   you are not correct.

90's child detected

Multipool - Always mine the most profitable coin - Scrypt, X11 or SHA-256!
Frizz23

Activity: 1162
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 07:01:29 AM

Now you need to ask is when was the prototype made and why are they shipping "prototype standard" ASIC miners?

Imho they had the first working piece of ASIC hardware in late March 2013. Which leads to the questions: How can they ensure in September 2012 that they can meet the October 2012 shipping deadline?

imho a blatant lie.

Ξtherization⚡️First P2E 2016⚡️🏰💎🌈 etherization.org
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: