Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 09:55:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Transaction Fees  (Read 966 times)
Cheshyr (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 05:21:01 PM

I have questions about how they work.  I've had this issue in both Bitcoin and Litecoin Qt clients.

I joined a p2p pool that dumped my shares directly to my wallet.  I don't have a lot of horsepower, so after a few hours I had 50 transactions totaling about 1LTC.  I wanted to send them to BTC-e to add to my funds there.  I select it all, set the tx fee to 0.01, and hit go.  It comes back and tells me I don't have enough funds because of the 0.8 LTC tx fee.  I lower my optional tx fee, until i've eventually removed it entirely.  It's still demanding 80% of my transaction just to send it.

What part of the system am I missing?  Is there a baseline tx fee?  Doesn't this make p2p kinda worthless for LTC, since it doesn't aggregate your earnings before sending them?
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
perhan007

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 05:26:07 PM

let your akked connected to the network and mature your ltc. the transaction fee will dissapear after a while.
salfter

Activity: 651
Merit: 501

My PGP Key: 92C7689C

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2013, 05:37:09 PM

I have questions about how they work.  I've had this issue in both Bitcoin and Litecoin Qt clients.

I joined a p2p pool that dumped my shares directly to my wallet.  I don't have a lot of horsepower, so after a few hours I had 50 transactions totaling about 1LTC.  I wanted to send them to BTC-e to add to my funds there.  I select it all, set the tx fee to 0.01, and hit go.  It comes back and tells me I don't have enough funds because of the 0.8 LTC tx fee.  I lower my optional tx fee, until i've eventually removed it entirely.  It's still demanding 80% of my transaction just to send it.

What part of the system am I missing?  Is there a baseline tx fee?  Doesn't this make p2p kinda worthless for LTC, since it doesn't aggregate your earnings before sending them?

Litecoin fees can be kinda steep.  I patched mine to allow transactions with lower fees (all the way down to zero, if you want).  In your Litecoin source-code tree, load src/main.h and search for this line:

Code:
static const int64 MIN_TX_FEE = 10000000;

Change the minimum to zero and recompile.  Use the settxfee API call (or the appropriate options in the Qt client) to set the fee you want to use.  If you're using Gentoo, you can use my litecoind and/or litecoin-qt ebuilds (part of my overlay); include the nofee USE flag to apply the patch.

Warning: Transactions may take longer to confirm if you do this.  I've had some take a day or so to get through.

Tipjars: BTC 1TipsGocnz2N5qgAm9f7JLrsMqkb3oXe2 LTC LTipsVC7XaFy9M6Zaf1aGGe8w8xVUeWFvR | My Bitcoin Note Generator | Pool Auto-Switchers: zpool MiningPoolHub NiceHash
Bitgem Resources: Pool Explorer Paper Wallet
wmikrut

Activity: 631
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2013, 06:10:00 PM

Transaction fees are important as they were designed to go directly to the miners.
Now, this is not always the case.

If you're mining with P2Pool/Solo Mining you will receive a portion/all of the transaction fees associated with that block.  (Sometimes the reward is 50.4... that's transaction fees).

If you are mining in a pool, check to see if they keep/share transaction fees.

Transaction fees are what will ultimately keep the system alive once minting of new coins has completed.
After this point, mining will return funds from the transaction fees throughout the system.

I will NEVER ask for any kind of funds up front in a buy/sale of anything on bitcointalk.

BM-2cTFihJKmSwusMAoYuUHPvpx56Jozv64KK
Cheshyr (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 08:26:36 PM

Thank you.  I think I get it now.  I'll dig around the source so I can get a better feel for it.  It just caught me off guard.
erk

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 04:22:55 AM
Last edit: April 26, 2013, 10:21:41 AM by erk

Litecoin fees can be kinda steep.  I patched mine to allow transactions with lower fees (all the way down to zero, if you want).  In your Litecoin source-code tree, load src/main.h and search for this line:

Code:

Change the minimum to zero and recompile.  Use the settxfee API call (or the appropriate options in the Qt client) to set the fee you want to use.  If you're using Gentoo, you can use my litecoind and/or litecoin-qt ebuilds (part of my overlay); include the nofee USE flag to apply the patch.

Warning: Transactions may take longer to confirm if you do this.  I've had some take a day or so to get through.

I tried that it worked well, thanks for the tip. I didn't set it to zero, just way less than it was (same as bitcoin), so a more practical transaction fee still gets paid, and my test transfers went though quickly.

JoeJacksonJr

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 05:59:56 AM

Litecoin fees can be kinda steep.  I patched mine to allow transactions with lower fees (all the way down to zero, if you want).  In your Litecoin source-code tree, load src/main.h and search for this line:

Code:

Change the minimum to zero and recompile.  Use the settxfee API call (or the appropriate options in the Qt client) to set the fee you want to use.  If you're using Gentoo, you can use my litecoind and/or litecoin-qt ebuilds (part of my overlay); include the nofee USE flag to apply the patch.

Warning: Transactions may take longer to confirm if you do this.  I've had some take a day or so to get through.

is there a way to patch the .EXE to do this without recompiling?
dcc

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 06:40:52 PM

Code:

is there a way to patch the .EXE to do this without recompiling?

No there's no way to patch the .exe in the way u are thinking. U need to edit source and recompile, either on win or linux. Unless the wallet comes with this option embeded in the future.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: