Bitcoin Forum
July 06, 2024, 11:21:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gigabyte GV-R797TO-3GD...give me 2 weeks of my life back!!  (Read 611 times)
Monsters2r (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 07:51:50 PM

I am a noob so I am unable to post in reply to people's problems with this gawd awful card.

I was mining successfully with one of these cards...then I had the great greedy idea that 2 is better than one.

Got a second card, plugged it in, set it up, started hashing and went to sleep...apparently I blew out the card, and the temps were around 90 all night long.  This cooling set-up is horrible when using 2 cards with out risers in a standard case.  The exhaust air from the bottom card get's sucked in by the top card, super heating the top card.

I got a replacement card, since I'm still greedy for my coins...I put a box fan right on the case and was able to run 75,80 on both cards...700+kh/s on each card...it worked but was not an elegant solution.  After 2 weeks of trying different fans and different settings to reduce the heat, I found a solution.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835213006
I got the pwm version of this fan...now both cards run at about 72-73 all day long.  It's hella noisy, but that's the sound of money being made.

One thing I learned about fans...it's not about the rpm of cfm...it's about the pressure...the delta fans will push air even through high resistance.
Zanatos666

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Sometimes man, just sometimes.....

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 08:18:24 PM

Really its a combination of both.  I have a 5830 that sits under a desk that I burnt the stock fan out of within a year (running at 100% all the time is never a good idea).  I then strapped a delta 120 on it and it did its thing. Yes, noisy but yet.  That eventually died.  Now I have a delta 92 on it.  Still does the trick at keeping it around mid 70s and is less noisy than the 120.

Squiggly letters, written really fast, with a couple of dots for good measure.
Monsters2r (OP)

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 08:23:07 PM

Really its a combination of both.  I have a 5830 that sits under a desk that I burnt the stock fan out of within a year (running at 100% all the time is never a good idea).  I then strapped a delta 120 on it and it did its thing. Yes, noisy but yet.  That eventually died.  Now I have a delta 92 on it.  Still does the trick at keeping it around mid 70s and is less noisy than the 120.

The delta fan blew out???  I thought they lasted forever.  I run the delta at around 80%, I'd rather replace the case fan, then replace the gpu fans.
Zanatos666

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Sometimes man, just sometimes.....

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 08:50:03 PM

The delta fan blew out???  I thought they lasted forever.  I run the delta at around 80%, I'd rather replace the case fan, then replace the gpu fans.

I probably could get away with that, if I used some sort of fan controller.  But i dont, just plug it directly into a 12v and let it go full power.  Maybe next time.

Squiggly letters, written really fast, with a couple of dots for good measure.
Monsters2r (OP)

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 09:02:24 PM

I probably could get away with that, if I used some sort of fan controller.  But i dont, just plug it directly into a 12v and let it go full power.  Maybe next time.

Thanks, good to know.  I was going to order 2 more non-PWM Delta 120mm fans, but am going to spring the extra $$ for the PWM versions.
mccminer

Activity: 88
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 09:12:48 PM

I had one of these sitting in my shop and it's done the job admirably.  I'm running 5 Gigabyte 7970's and the temps don't get over 78C - 80C on the hottest card in the middle.

http://www.laskoproducts.com/model-4914/

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: