Bitcoin Forum
October 08, 2024, 10:44:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 28.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Confirmations & Double Spending  (Read 493 times)
Zilarion (OP)

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 08:03:00 PM

I have a question that just popped into my mind.
We only "confirm" a transaction after 6 confirmations have been made on the said money, right?

Now, however - we also have that bitcoin payments are instant. Now the question here is, how can we make sure no one just pays in a shop or something similar, give said person the goods purchased and then find out later that the transaction would actually be denied (due to double payments or something similar)?

Can someone shed some light on this question?
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4186
Merit: 1312

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 08:08:15 PM

Take a look at this link.  ;-)

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Double-spending

I have a question that just popped into my mind.
We only "confirm" a transaction after 6 confirmations have been made on the said money, right?

Now, however - we also have that bitcoin payments are instant. Now the question here is, how can we make sure no one just pays in a shop or something similar, give said person the goods purchased and then find out later that the transaction would actually be denied (due to double payments or something similar)?

Can someone shed some light on this question?

ShireSilver

Activity: 382
Merit: 253

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2013, 02:24:41 PM

Take a look at this link.  ;-)

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Double-spending

It should be noted (and hopefully fixed on the wiki) that the Race Attack is not strictly speaking a double spend. It is a zero confirmation exploit that is basically the same as writing a check that will bounce. The business solutions that will solve/prevent this will likely be similar to what businesses use now, and will not be perfect but will probably be good enough.

Shire Silver, a better bullion that fits in your wallet. Get some, now accepting bitcoin!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: