Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:43:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: gauging interest - woodworking for Bitcoin  (Read 708 times)
AmDD (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1027
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 19, 2017, 07:02:38 PM

I have a friend who does woodworking on the side. It started as a hobby but has grown to be a way to make the family a little side money. Most of his sales are online but he does travel to some trade shows and such to sell.

He makes a verity of products from bar stools to butcher blocks and cutting boards, checker/chess boards, wine glass holders, jewelry boxes, and more.

Id like to talk to him about accepting Bitcoin but before I do I wanted to see what the community thought. Currently I think he only ships to the USA but that could change.

Here are a few pictures of his work:

http://imgur.com/a/9GfTa

BTC tip jar: 18EKpbrcXxbpzAZv3T58ccGcVis7W7JR9w
LTC tip jar: Lgp8ERykAgx6Q8NdMqpi5vnVoUMD2hYn2a
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinAccepted
Legendary

Activity: 2660
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 20, 2017, 05:42:57 AM

Hand carved?  Grin Grin Grin

The dovetails on that box are beautiful.

.7 BTC  WELCOME BONUS!..
███████████████████████████
██████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▀▀██████
█████████▄██████ ████ ▀████
██████▀▀ ▄▄▄▄ ▀▀███▀▄██ ███
████▀   ██████   ▀██████ ██
███ ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄ ██▄▄▄ ██
██ █████▀    ▀█████ ████ ██
██  ▀██        ███▀ ███ ███
██   ▄██▄    ▄██▄   █▀▄████
███ ▄████████████▄ ████████
████▄▀███▀▀▀▀███▀▄█████████
██████▄▄      ▄▄███████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄████████
█████████████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀███████████
██████████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████
████████████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀███████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀  ▐█▌  ▀▀████████
██████▄     ▐█▌     ▄██████
████ ▀██▄▄███████▄▄██▀ ████
███    ██▀▀  ▄  ▀▀██    ███
██    ██   ▄███▄   ██    ██
████████  ███████  ████████
██    ██  ▀▀ █ ▀▀  ██    ██
███    ██▄▄ ▀▀▀ ▄▄██    ███
████ ▄██▀▀██████▀▀▀██▄ ████
██████▀     ▐█▌     ▀██████
████████▄▄  ▐█▌  ▄▄████████
.30+  ALTCOINS AVAILABLE..
bitcoinisbest

Activity: 1218
Merit: 557

View Profile
April 20, 2017, 06:29:35 AM

Wow it is very nicely done and with great textured around for the chair. What are the prices and do you ship internationally as well or looking for the local deal to be done? It would have taken a lot of time to get this things done up.
AmDD (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 20, 2017, 01:06:22 PM

I dont think he does any carving but I could be wrong. All his work in done in his own shop starting from raw, rough cut wood.

Prices are not cheap but they reflect the quality. A lot of time and effort goes into each piece. So far I think he only ships to the US and nothing internationally but if there is interest I dont see why that cant change.

digicoinuser
Legendary

Activity: 2716
Merit: 1072

View Profile
April 20, 2017, 03:48:41 PM

These look pretty cool, I'd be interested to see more samples of his woodworking and size/weight/cost of the wooden box shown.

AmDD (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 20, 2017, 04:41:26 PM

These look pretty cool, I'd be interested to see more samples of his woodworking and size/weight/cost of the wooden box shown.

Dont quote me on prices but a similar box with the same finger joints is selling for $120 and is 11 1/2" x 7 1/2" x 5 1/2" in size.

vallera

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 20, 2017, 05:18:33 PM

nice talent, well done joinery
digicoinuser
Legendary

View Profile
April 20, 2017, 06:06:21 PM

Dont quote me on prices but a similar box with the same finger joints is selling for $120 and is 11 1/2" x 7 1/2" x 5 1/2" in size.

Thanks for the information, that seems like a reasonable price.  Is there any estimate for shipping for these items?

AmDD (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 20, 2017, 06:31:53 PM

Thanks for the information, that seems like a reasonable price.  Is there any estimate for shipping for these items?

At this point, no. Im just trying to help build a case and gather information. If a lot of people speak up and show interest then it will be easier to talk him into accepting Bitcoin. Id like to let this thread go a bit and maybe talk to him this weekend.

digicoinuser
Legendary

View Profile
April 20, 2017, 08:00:56 PM

No problem, if some sort of emblem can be engraved/embedded into the box top or front I would definitely be interested in picking one up.

Let me know the outcome when you have more information and shoot me a PM if I miss the updates on this thread.  Smiley

AmDD (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 20, 2017, 08:14:35 PM

No problem, if some sort of emblem can be engraved/embedded into the box top or front I would definitely be interested in picking one up.

Let me know the outcome when you have more information and shoot me a PM if I miss the updates on this thread.  Smiley

I was thinking the same, maybe a BTC logo or something would be cool. Could be used to keep physical coins in? He does have a small CNC type machine that he can use to cut designs in wood with.

I'll keep you posted. Smiley

gadman2
Legendary

Activity: 977
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 20, 2017, 11:49:42 PM

Custom chess board and pieces? I've been wanting one of these for a while.

AmDD (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 21, 2017, 07:50:39 PM

Custom chess board and pieces? I've been wanting one of these for a while.

I dont know about chess pieces but the board should be no issue. He has done TAK boards and pieces before but I think those are much simpler. Chess pieces would probably require someone who can carve. I dont even know if his CNC machine would be of much use in that. I'll keep it in mind and ask though.

HabBear

Activity: 1106
Merit: 637

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2017, 06:17:13 PM

Definitely interested!

And I know you're mostly trying to see if people with bitcoin would be willing to buy any of his work, but I think he could make some products that are targeted to bitcoin-specific activity.

The first idea I have is related to the box pic you shared, he could make display boxes for Casascius and other physical bitcoins. A version could be made to hold and display coins in plastic capsules and also in the ANACS graded slabs. I think he'd have a real market here for those two products, especially if they can be personalized or he takes custom orders related to one person's specific coin collection.

Does he have a website yet?
Valique

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 24, 2017, 08:54:38 PM

Comment for interest. Depends on price and shipping. Engraving or wood burning would be a huge plus especially if custom.
makked

Activity: 105
Merit: 11

View Profile
May 04, 2017, 12:28:04 AM

Does he dropship (put on your own return label / place inserts)?

Is there a catalog with prices?

The pics look nice, would be interested in seeing more.

thanks
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: