Bitcoin Forum
May 19, 2024, 06:03:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I am making a coin and keep getting an error message  (Read 480 times)
immakingacoin (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 11

View Profile
April 20, 2017, 01:10:24 AM

I am making a coin and I am on my first compile and I keep getting the error message "undefined reference to 'boost::system::get_system::get_system_category(). What is the problem?
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 6641

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2017, 01:16:37 AM

You are missing a boost dependency somewhere. Either the function doesn't exist, you forgot to include it, or you don't have boost installed.

immakingacoin (OP)

View Profile
April 20, 2017, 01:20:26 AM

You are missing a boost dependency somewhere. Either the function doesn't exist, you forgot to include it, or you don't have boost installed.

We installed these is something missing? We also tried updating it to 1.58 and that didn't change anything.

sudo apt-get install build-essential libtool autotools-dev autoconf pkg-config libssl-dev
sudo apt-get install libboost-all-dev
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bitcoin/bitcoin
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libminiupnpc-dev

sudo apt-get install libdb4.8-dev
sudo apt-get install libdb4.8++-dev
sudo apt-get install libboost1.37-dev
immakingacoin (OP)

View Profile
April 20, 2017, 01:29:44 AM

It says when entering the command "ldconfig -v" that libboost_XXXXXX(different things).so.1.58.0 are all linked properly, but the error is still coming up.
immakingacoin (OP)

View Profile
April 20, 2017, 01:56:11 AM

Just created a new VM and now I am starting from scratch to see if it works
Pearls Before Swine

Activity: 1190
Merit: 306

View Profile
April 20, 2017, 02:30:36 AM

Someone such as yourself really shouldn't be dipping their toes into the developers' pool.  There's just no need for another shitcoin from someone who solicits coding advice from a discussion forum.
immakingacoin (OP)

View Profile
April 20, 2017, 02:36:30 AM

lol

If you don't think this is the forum to talk about this, you are confused about how to internet. And I understand your view that new coins are just shitcoins, but thinking that is not going to get bitcoin adopted by the entire world.

and you do know this exists right?
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1278734.0

back on topic

I looked for the answer on google and found this
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9723793/undefined-reference-to-boostsystemsystem-category-when-compiling

It seems like everyone says it is not a compiling error but a linking error and say that you just have to write "-lboost_system" somewhere. Where do you write it to link it?
pterodactyl

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 20, 2017, 02:37:39 AM

Someone such as yourself really shouldn't be dipping their toes into the developers' pool.  There's just no need for another shitcoin from someone who solicits coding advice from a discussion forum.

This is what I was going to say. If you can't do this right now what makes you think you can answer people's questions when they are having trouble with their wallets down the road?

Please don't make a coin. You're not skilled enough to make a good one.
immakingacoin (OP)

View Profile
April 20, 2017, 02:42:35 AM

Someone such as yourself really shouldn't be dipping their toes into the developers' pool.  There's just no need for another shitcoin from someone who solicits coding advice from a discussion forum.

This is what I was going to say. If you can't do this right now what makes you think you can answer people's questions when they are having trouble with their wallets down the road?

this thread is not called "share your philosophy and gripes about developers"

And I have another person, he just knows less about coins. I know more about coins, he knows more about coding, but this problem is happening.

The coin is all good, the problem is in the libraries. The fact that you would point to my coin making and coin knowledge shows that you don't even understand the problem and probably shouldn't be posting, and should definitely step down off that high horse.
Pearls Before Swine

Activity: 1190
Merit: 306

View Profile
April 20, 2017, 03:09:27 AM
Last edit: April 20, 2017, 03:59:13 AM by Pearls Before Swine

And I have another person, he just knows less about coins. I know more about coins, he knows more about coding, but this problem is happening.

The coin is all good, the problem is in the libraries. The fact that you would point to my coin making and coin knowledge shows that you don't even understand the problem and probably shouldn't be posting, and should definitely step down off that high horse.
And none of you fools should be making altcoins.  End of story.

Edited to add: I am addressing the "I am making a coin" part of your topic; I don't believe you ought to get an answer to the other part.
immakingacoin (OP)

View Profile
April 20, 2017, 03:27:12 AM

And none of you fools should be making altcoins.  End of story.

Have fun thinking that because it will be made by the end of the week whether we get help or not. We'll just use CentOS instead of Ubuntu.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: