Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 06:20:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Gun Control is anti Women?  (Read 1307 times)
Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 04:04:50 PM

Keeping guns out of the hands of lunatics and felons is a good idea; once you go beyond that you need to have a good reason.

Do crazy people and ex-cons not have a right to self-defense?

I'm just curious as to why you would single them out.

Lets agree that crazy and ex-con are a huge overlapping population because we nowadays use prisons to warehouse people who used to be in mental institutions. People who have the misfortune to fall into these 2 categories are more likely to initiate use of violence than others.  As such, it doesn't make sense to give them guns. 
Well, if we're simply going to limit it based on percentages, on the chance that they might initiate violence, Men are statistically more likely to initiate violence than women, so perhaps we should simply ban all men from owning weapons. No, we cannot base it on statistical risk, for down that road lies madness.

Is there anything inherent in these two groups which makes it certain that they will, if provided with the means of defense, turn it upon their fellowman? Certainly there is a higher risk in the mentally unstable doing that, and an increased, but lesser, risk from the previously violent individuals. But nothing that makes it certain.

Now, thankfully, our modern economy provides a means to manage risk, to socialize it while focusing more of the cost on those individuals performing risky behaviors and less on those avoiding them. This means, of course, is the insurance industry. A previously violent individual would have increased insurance premiums, and they would further increase if he were to purchase a weapon. Likewise, to a much greater degree, with a mentally unstable person. These premiums would likely decrease over time, as they showed themselves capable of owning a firearm without initiating violence. If the risk was too great, the insurance company could refuse to insure the person if he were to purchase a firearm, and this would provide incentive to avoid that purchase.

If the mentally ill and the ex-cons can get insurance against their own misbehaviour and if they do pay the premiums, its all well and good.  

I do have to say that my experience of being inside leaves me with a very sceptical view on the chances of either of those conditions being met.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2013, 04:09:04 PM

Keeping guns out of the hands of lunatics and felons is a good idea; once you go beyond that you need to have a good reason.

Do crazy people and ex-cons not have a right to self-defense?

I'm just curious as to why you would single them out.

Lets agree that crazy and ex-con are a huge overlapping population because we nowadays use prisons to warehouse people who used to be in mental institutions. People who have the misfortune to fall into these 2 categories are more likely to initiate use of violence than others.  As such, it doesn't make sense to give them guns. 
Well, if we're simply going to limit it based on percentages, on the chance that they might initiate violence, Men are statistically more likely to initiate violence than women, so perhaps we should simply ban all men from owning weapons. No, we cannot base it on statistical risk, for down that road lies madness.

Is there anything inherent in these two groups which makes it certain that they will, if provided with the means of defense, turn it upon their fellowman? Certainly there is a higher risk in the mentally unstable doing that, and an increased, but lesser, risk from the previously violent individuals. But nothing that makes it certain.

Now, thankfully, our modern economy provides a means to manage risk, to socialize it while focusing more of the cost on those individuals performing risky behaviors and less on those avoiding them. This means, of course, is the insurance industry. A previously violent individual would have increased insurance premiums, and they would further increase if he were to purchase a weapon. Likewise, to a much greater degree, with a mentally unstable person. These premiums would likely decrease over time, as they showed themselves capable of owning a firearm without initiating violence. If the risk was too great, the insurance company could refuse to insure the person if he were to purchase a firearm, and this would provide incentive to avoid that purchase.

If the mentally ill and the ex-cons can get insurance against their own misbehaviour and if they do pay the premiums, its all well and good.  

I do have to say that my experience of being inside leaves me with a very sceptical view on the chances of either of those conditions being met.

Understandably so. Prisons in our current society are not so much rehabilitation centers as criminal colleges, where poor criminals are sent - at the expense of their victims - to learn to become better criminals.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
MarKusRomanus
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 04:18:03 PM

Gun Control In the USA was Mainly started By the KKK early on to keep guns from Blacks.
http://www.examiner.com/article/kkk-began-as-gun-control-organization-confirms-racist-roots-of-gun-control

How Ironic these days that some gun control advocates are trying to say gun rights supporters are racist!
myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2013, 04:20:54 PM

Gun Control In the USA was Mainly started By the KKK early on to keep guns from Blacks.
http://www.examiner.com/article/kkk-began-as-gun-control-organization-confirms-racist-roots-of-gun-control

How Ironic these days that some gun control advocates are trying to say gun rights supporters are racist!
Ironic indeed, given that statistically, blacks (in the US) benefit more from loosening gun restrictions than whites.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Schleicher

Activity: 675
Merit: 513

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 06:55:02 PM

A previously violent individual would have increased insurance premiums, and they would further increase if he were to purchase a weapon.
Why do you think that these people care about insurance at all?

myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2013, 06:59:13 PM

A previously violent individual would have increased insurance premiums, and they would further increase if he were to purchase a weapon.
That's a rather long explanation, which I'm more than willing to give you, but the short version is that with out it, they'd be on the hook for the entirety of any damages they caused.

Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 10:47:19 AM

That's a rather long explanation, which I'm more than willing to give you, but the short version is that with out it, they'd be on the hook for the entirety of any damages they caused.

If someone has a gun to commit a crime or because of a violent delusion, your idea is that they would go out and buy insurance before using the gun. 

Huh
myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2013, 03:29:27 PM

If someone has a gun to commit a crime or because of a violent delusion, your idea is that they would go out and buy insurance before using the gun.
This is why it was a long explanation. No, the insurance would be purchased long before the gun was.

Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 03:55:56 PM

This is why it was a long explanation. No, the insurance would be purchased long before the gun was.

And you would not allow someone to get a gun without insurance?  Isn't that very restrictive?
myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2013, 04:02:02 PM

And you would not allow someone to get a gun without insurance?  Isn't that very restrictive?
Who said anything about not allowing people to get a gun without insurance?

I'm relatively sure I've explained this to you before, but if you'd like, we can go through it again. I'm a patient man.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: