Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 03:27:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Wallet Hack on 4/25  (Read 11210 times)
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 07:11:50 PM

...Sign a message with any one of the addresses from which your funds were supposedly stolen.
How does one even do that?
I'm not sure that it's possible in blockchain.info, but in the QT client, there's a button that says "sign message" or something like that.
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Anenome5

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 07:27:50 PM

I was asked to run Java last time I logged in to Blockchain.info. Is this supposed to happen? Think I'll transfer my Bitcoins to a paperwallet to be on the safe side...
o_O people still have Java installed? After the latest problems I ditched that sh!t and haven't looked back. How many zero-days is it responsible for now? 105% of them?

Democracy is the original 51% attack.
Anenome5

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 07:32:16 PM

I am not convinced this has anything to do with Android. I've seen some chatter about brute-forcing attacks against blockchain.info wallets. Is it possible some older wallets have passwords that aren't strong enough? The b.i KDF is SHA1 repeated only a handful of times, iirc, because JavaScript is slow.
Is it possible someone found a way to download all wallets from blockchain.info and just started bruting 'em? Maybe someone found a list of identifiers and is just pulling them as they have time. They did have those security issues recently...

qxzn

Activity: 609
Merit: 505

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 07:33:04 PM

OP, might make sense for a thread like this to be called "blockchain.info hack" instead of "bitcoin hack". The latter is somewhat misleading.
Anenome5

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 07:35:06 PM

...Sign a message with any one of the addresses from which your funds were supposedly stolen.
How does one even do that?
I'm not sure that it's possible in blockchain.info, but in the QT client, there's a button that says "sign message" or something like that.
I see, thanks. I'd entirely overlooked that, but in retrospect it's always been a feature that one can prove identity via ownership of an address.

piuk

Activity: 910
Merit: 1005

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2013, 07:37:27 PM

Any leads on what could have caused this? Or who the thief is?

Will reimbursing affected users be considered?

I am collecting all the information I can, still not clear of the exact root cause. There are a number a blockchain.info wallets compromised in this transaction but i'm not sure it is exclusively blockchain wallets, some of the input addresses look like wallets from other clients (i.e. they use change addresses and transactions are not shown as being relayed by blockchain). More data points are needed.

I am not convinced this has anything to do with Android. I've seen some chatter about brute-forcing attacks against blockchain.info wallets. Is it possible some older wallets have passwords that aren't strong enough? The b.i KDF is SHA1 repeated only a handful of times, iirc, because JavaScript is slow.

I think it is possible to rule out an android problem, several users have stated they do not use an android app.

Brute forcing is a possibility but I remain sceptical about the feasibility of brute forcing 10 character passwords. A 10 character password, 10 rounds of pbkdF2 with 36 possible characters at 5 million guesses per second would take 80,000 days to search the entire key space. I'm not sure it even possible to achieve 5 million guesses per second http://arstechnica.com/security/2012/12/25-gpu-cluster-cracks-every-standard-windows-password-in-6-hours/ estimates rates significantly lower speeds (if  pbkdF2 can be considered close to bcrypt speed). That is for one wallet as well, this seems to be multiple wallets in parallel. All wallets have a unique salt so precomputed dictionary attack shouldn't be possible. Also I have setup several wallets with deliberately weak passwords that are unemptied.

All users affected so far have had JAVA enabled possibly this is the result of some malware spread through a java applet. I can't find the post now but there was a report of a malicious Java applet designed to collect wallet data.

Other possibilities are XSS or a leak of passwords from another site although there is is no direct evidence of this.

silvereagle (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 07:48:23 PM

For 0.78 BTC you just got a very inexpensive lesson in security.  Don't let those coins be spent for naught.

Agree.  Already had cold storage so was trying to be diligent, just hadn't moved since withdrawing from BTC-e.  Definitely have learned a lesson.  Keep hot balances low and only access bitcoin-qt from clean/sandboxed computer that I don't do my daily surfing on to avoid any type of java/javascript exploits.  Recommend the same for others.
silvereagle (OP)

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 07:49:47 PM

OP, might make sense for a thread like this to be called "blockchain.info hack" instead of "bitcoin hack". The latter is somewhat misleading.

Yeah, can I change it after the fact?  Realized that after I did it and it's definitely misleading.  Nothing wrong with the protocol or bitcoin in general - more apropot would be wallet hack.
silvereagle (OP)

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 07:52:04 PM

For 0.78 BTC you just got a very inexpensive lesson in security.  Don't let those coins be spent for naught.

Agree.  Already had cold storage so was trying to be diligent, just hadn't moved since withdrawing from BTC-e.  Definitely have learned a lesson.  Keep hot balances low and only access bitcoin-qt from clean/sandboxed computer that I don't do my daily surfing on to avoid any type of java/javascript exploits.  Recommend the same for others.

I also just uninstalled java from my machine.
qxzn

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 07:54:55 PM

Yeah, can I change it after the fact?  Realized that after I did it and it's definitely misleading.  Nothing wrong with the protocol or bitcoin in general - more apropot would be wallet hack.

I think you can just edit your original post (at the top of this thread), and change the subject.
silvereagle (OP)

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 08:01:30 PM

I think you can just edit your original post (at the top of this thread), and change the subject.

Tried to change original post.  Dont' want to single out blockchain.info as source in fairness to piuk as it could've easily been a java exploit - don't think we've gotten to bottom of it yet.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 08:14:42 PM

I also just uninstalled java from my machine.

I re-imaged my Windows laptop from the recovery partition to get rid of it (and the creepy taskbar it installed on my browser.)  But my Windows machine is used irregularly for limited things which are not practical on my main workstations so it was relatively easy for me to do.   Backed up what few interesting docs I had in mega.co.nz before performing this action.

Now I don't even like to allow Microsoft or HP to install updates.  Since phone vendors are so willing to pre-install rootkits, and OS vendors seem happy to make that possible, it seems likely to me that commercial laptop and workstation vendors would be happy to follow suit.  The momentum behind the trend to make the Internet significantly more invasive seems to be building at an alarming rate.

---

BTW, so far my blockchain.info wallet seems fine in spite of the phone hack and gmail theft.  This seems to lend strength to the idea that the issue of this thread is not Android related.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
qxzn

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 08:17:16 PM

Tried to change original post.  Dont' want to single out blockchain.info as source in fairness to piuk as it could've easily been a java exploit - don't think we've gotten to bottom of it yet.

Looks to me like it worked. "Wallet Hack" seems like an appropriate choice.
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 08:33:13 PM

Does not seem like Android is involved at all. In fact, I am not aware of any Android-related Bitcoin thefts in all these years.

Unless I am missing something, the common denominator here is Java.

I did notice a Windows update last week - one lone security patch, outside of regular schedule - which only provided the usual "an issue has been identified that may allow a remote attacker blah blah". Does anyone know what kind of hole was patched?

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
bitcoinminer

Activity: 322
Merit: 252

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 10:50:07 PM

"Dropped your wallet on the sidewalk" seems more appropriate than "Wallet stolen"

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful.

-Warren Buffett
Meatpile

Activity: 277

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 11:49:06 PM

Does not seem like Android is involved at all. In fact, I am not aware of any Android-related Bitcoin thefts in all these years.

I did notice a Windows update last week - one lone security patch, outside of regular schedule - which only provided the usual "an issue has been identified that may allow a remote attacker blah blah". Does anyone know what kind of hole was patched?

Android runs almost exclusively in a java virtual machine
zebedee
Donator

Activity: 668
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 11:50:23 PM

Is it possible someone found a way to download all wallets from blockchain.info and just started bruting 'em? Maybe someone found a list of identifiers and is just pulling them as they have time. They did have those security issues recently...
I think this is the most likely explanation.  My friend also had coins stolen, and apart form Java which I don't know the answer to, she'd be a no to all the questions.
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2013, 11:53:39 PM

Android runs almost exclusively in a java virtual machine

Android's not at risk from this sort of Java exploit. Other hacks are different matter - usually from installing something dodgy nd giving it permissions it shouldn't have.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
jerethdaminer

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 12:03:25 AM

can someone please explain this to me nicely,

cold storage.

hot wallet.

please give me the definition and an example

the only wallet i have is the encrypted on on my client.
thanks just trying to figure this out and learn
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4453

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 12:09:20 AM

since the addition of the bitcoin:// uri in windows. do any of those that have lost funds do any "free bitcoin" faucets regularly.

i remember last year there was one that actually made my QT client start running.

also

check all the programs installed EG the miners, drivers, etc that are not from the official websites. even check if you have a trading bot that was not created, compiled by yourself.

there was a guy named litecoin trader that hade a closed source trading bot. his version one last year was very very "iffy" and he soon went quiet when questioning him. he now has a version 2 which is also closed source.

do any of you use a trading bot for btc-e / mtgox?

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: